Cold Medicine Warning: Toddlers

Started by Lise, Mar 03 07 09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Kinda scary. I usually give Lise Jr. cough or cold medicine when she has a cold or flu..... now I have to re-think my method.

[FONT size=6][FONT face=Verdana]Cough Medicine Warning[/FONT][BR clear=all][/FONT]

Even though there are plenty of cold and cough medicines for children, they're not all for children. A new government report says these over the counter remedies should not be given to kids two years old and younger without first consulting a doctor.

At the pediatric emergency room inside St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital, the report's already posted on the bulletin board.

"So that we can educate our patients and remind them that there have been adverse events," says Dr. Kathleen Reichard.

Researchers found during a two year period, 1,500 kids were brought to the ER because of bad reactions to cold or cough medicine. Three infants died and doctors discovered high levels of the drugs in their systems.

Scientists aren't sure why these products cause a problems in young children, but several reports have shown an association and research has also found some of these over the counter remedies aren't that effective at treating colds in the first place.

Some parents hope the drugs will at least calm toddlers down, but that's not the medicine's purpose and not worth the risk. Dr. Reichard says there are easy and safe ways to make sick kids feel better.

"Using the suction bulb to clear their nose, using saline drops to help loosen the mucus so it can be cleared. Making sure there comfortable if they have a fever by using either acetaminophen or ibuprofen," says Dr. Reichard.

There's no cure for the common cold. You just have to wait a few days for the body to heal itself.

[A href="mailto:[email protected]"]CBS News[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.