Bikram Yoga - scam?

Started by Lise, Feb 28 07 04:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I'm of the opinion that this is such a scam. Tell me if you don't think this scenario smells like a scam. I have a friend who's just discovered Bikram Yoga and raves about it. Loves it to bits which is fine with me. I don't enjoy being in a sweaty, stinky room with people trying to bend in every possible way (unless you're hawt).

She's so taken in by this yoga thingee that she wants to become a certified instructor. In order to do that, you will have to take a course either in LA or Hawaii. The course will set you back at least $7,000 USD (8 week course) and does not include accommodations and food. That's insane!! I wanted to tell her to wake up and smell the roses. Why should you pay for that outrageous amount? And how much does a yoga instructor make these days?

Anyways, I just had to smile and nod my head, telling her, yeah, if that's what she wants, then she should go for it because it's her 'dream' to become one. *sigh*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

scam. i guess that is why you see so many people that have their own yoga classes. they have to make up for the money they spent.

Sportsdude

yoga costs that much? Yeesh if I was going to pay that much I better get a girlfriend out of it ;)  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

I think you pay money for any kind of training course.  If the person wants to do it, hey.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

it's because Bikram patented his system.......he is selling the rights to teach.  I remembered he sued someone a year or two ago for teaching his system and won.

Moolah!

It's all about money, money, money... Esp. "training" of ANY sort is a major cash cow in N. America.

The cost of medical school for example... is it really justifiable? I don't think so.

Or even a simpler example - what about the cost of university text books? That Anthropology 100 class you have to take to fulfill a prerequisite, that stupid text book you'll read only half of, and will never want to look at again, can cost anywhere between $70-150.

And of course the next semester, the instructor CHANGES the text book, so you can't even sell the damn thing now.

Take any career, vocational training... pumped up with bullshit tuition and other fees.

Greed is everywhere. If you're not in, you get screwed ALL YOUR LIFE.

So why should it be different for some overhyped up form of yoga?      
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Russ

I remember someone that went and took an expensive yoga course.. then couldnt find anywhere to teach.

Ill have to ask around now to find out who.. I cant remember.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

49er

Or even a simpler example - what about the cost of university text books? That Anthropology 100 class you have to take to fulfill a prerequisite, that stupid text book you'll read only half of, and will never want to look at again, can cost anywhere between $70-150.

And of course the next semester, the instructor CHANGES the text book, so you can't even sell the damn thing now.

That's how professors push their own or colleagues' books.

So why should it be different for some overhyped up form of yoga?

I heard Bikram Yoga is pretty much performing yoga in a heated room