are peeps here as shallow about pitbulls as they are in DV?

Started by pitbullca.bc, Feb 27 07 06:06

Previous topic - Next topic

pitbullca.bc

I have come here from DV.  I was originally led there in my surfing about pitbulls.  Are the haters as vile here as they are in DV?  If not...can you say something nice about the breed?

TheAngel

Hi Pitbullca.bc,

We do not use words like 'haters' and 'vile' over here. :)

Puppies are cute.

Hope you're having a pleasant afternoon!

tenkani

They bite pretty hard and won't let go.

I learned that the hard way as a kid.

I don't blame the dogs though; they are slaves to their instincts.

It's like owning a hand gun. Give a pit to a responsible owner and there will probably not be any major issues. Give it a reason to go nuts, though, and watch out.

On the other hand, chihuahuas bite much more often than pits.  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

pitbullca.bc

LOL..well...kinda like crawling out of the trailer park and into the mansion I would think.

P.C.

are peeps here as shallow about pitbulls as they are in DV?

I'm not a pitbull fan, but I'm not shallow.  Does that count?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

pitbullca.bc

tenkani- I agree with you 100%.  Unfortunately there are millions of pitbulls vs.  amount of smart responsible owners.  I think that it is a losing battle.

pitbullca.bc

PC- it is alllll good!  Don't have to love the breed...just don't crucify them because of bad deeds.

tenkani

Yup, no dog is naturally "evil".

Some just take special precautions.

And of course a lot of people who choose pits as a pet are macho asshats who also tend to treat them rough to make the dog mean. This of course makes all pit owners look bad, even the responsible ones like yourself     :(

An intersting snippet from the following site...[/DIV][A href="http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html"]http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html[/A]     [H4]The dogs that are most responsible [/H4] Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; [A href="http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf"]click here[/A] to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

[BLOCKQUOTE] If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

[/BLOCKQUOTE] Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

P.C.

I'm afraid to say, I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw a herd of byson......and God help the byson.

tenkani

Acknowledging that some animals are more likely to maim you unexpectedly is different from hating them. When I was a little kid and that pit kept biting on me it didn't keep me from loving it. I knew even then that it was instinct and it was just trying to play. I feel love for a tiger in a zoo as well, but I'm not going to give it a hug     :)

P.C.

Acknowledging that some animals are more likely to maim you unexpectedly is different from hating them.

I will certainly agree with that !

pitbullca.bc

I can't speak for others...but mine LOVE being hugged!  Having two kids leaves no room for error.  I watch the dogs for any slight change in behaviour.  Part of being a responsible owner.  Many people think that the pit should be tied up to a dog house and left outside.  That is the worse thing for them.  They have mentalities alot like children.  They need discipline, guidance, and socializing.

tenkani

:)

My pitbull friend was very affectionate also.

And with kids I guess it's just as important to train the kids as well, right?

Like teach them to treat the pits with love and respect and not act out on them. I've seen kids who get scolded by a parent turn around and roleplay that out on a dog and of course the poor beast has no idea what's going on     :(

P.C.

Having two kids leaves no room for error.  I watch the dogs for any slight change in behaviour.  Part of being a responsible owner.

You do sound like a responsible owner.  But for me, 'having two kids' leaves no room for risk.  I'm not implying anything, because I don't know you, but I think being a responsible pitbull owner and being a responsible parent seems a little at odds.  

tenkani

[FONT size=5]Hay you're new here![/FONT]

Sorry, that just clicked.

Welcome to DS!!

We have run into each other a few times in the Last Word thread and others but I was using a different handle. I like your posting style.

Yes, welcome to DS where everyone eats from the same trough. Even pitbulls     :)