British are leaving Iraq

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 20 07 06:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6380933.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6380933.stm[/a]

Coalition of the Leaving. lol

Only one left now is Howard and he got embarassed by Obama.

Blair is doing this mainly because he's leaving office this year and he wants the Labour party to stay in power during the Brown years when Gordon Brown takes over this summer.  But I don't see the british public going to vote for the Tories. Cameron is just a slick kid in a suit.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Unfortunately, I CAN see the conservatives winning the next election - unless a miracle happens.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

I don't see it.  Cameron can put on all the hats he wants (mr. greenie for example).  All depends on Brown and how he handles the job of course.  But it looks like Blair is trying to make it as easy as possible for Brown by getting the troops out.  Maybe Brown can stop this Labour march towards conservatism basically.  But I doubt that will change since Brown and Blair both came up with that 'new' or 'third' way.  

tenkani

The brits were getting their asses handed to them.
They had failed their mission and it's nice to see someone with the brains to just say "well, this was a mistake let's get the f*ck out". Now the militias will have free reign in that region, which they pretty much had already.

Shia death squads in government uniforms using American weapons to blow away civilians. You have to laugh to keep from crying.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

I think they're getting out because Prince Harry or William said they were going to Iraq no matter what. Last thing the Labour Party needs is to have the future king killed in a war 80% of the populace despises.  

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
I think they're getting out because Prince Harry or William said they were going to Iraq no matter what. Last thing the Labour Party needs is to have the future king killed in a war 80% of the populace despises.  
  He's not the future king, his brother is in line.

I also agree though it would be bad news for them to have him in Iraq as a target.. cause you know they will target him completely. But at the same time that would be VERY bad news for them.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

tenkani

"Them" is now unfortunately the Iraqi population in general.
When 80% of the indiginous population says your troops are crusading occupiers and should leave.
And when almost as many of them verbally support insurgents killing American troops, there is only one way to win such an engagement. The civilians are now the enemy. So you leave, or you toss aside the veneer of honor and simply make war on the population.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Sportsdude

It doesn't really matter which kid goes to Iraq. If those two somehow die in combat there is no way in hell the party controlling 10 Downing Street survives the next election. They'd be wiped off the face of the political scene in 10 seconds.  

Devil

When will Canada pull out? Oh yes, Canada got in deep shit from the US for not going in '03!

Camilla

Russ wrote:
Sportsdude wrote:
  He's not the future king, his brother is in line.

Wrong, my hubby is next in line - why does everyone keep forgetting about him?

Lil Me

Camilla wrote:
Wrong, my hubby is next in line - why does everyone keep forgetting about him?

--

Becaue he's over the hill and halfway down the other side.  Besides, he sings to his houseplants.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.