What's the ONE......

Started by P.C., Feb 19 07 08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

....subject you hated in high school, that you NOW wished you paid better attention.

For me it would be Social Studies (that's what we called it then....I don't know if they call it something different now)

I wished I'd paid better attention in history.  I'm clueless.

I also wished I'd paid better attention in geography.  I use to get A's and B's in this, because I could draw impressive maps and colour them like Michaelangelo.....but I had ZERO comprehension of anything.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

not really studies more of taking better care of my grades. Now I'm paying for struggling in school.

But probably Math.  But then again one teacher told me just to stop because I was going to fail anyway.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Mathematics. I wished I could see the logic in numbers.

I wished I had taken up more art classes instead of concentrating on Business Studies. That was a waste.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

That's too bad SD.  And not to make light of that, but I'm more curious about the things that people have experienced later on in their life, that depended on some of the subjects that just didn't hold their interest in school, that we have NOW learned would have been a benefit.

For me, there are certain subjects that come up in social situations, that I have to skirt around or make jokes about (my best defense) because I don't even know enough about them to involve myself in a conversation about them.  The only person that knows that I'm as ignorant as I am about some subjects is my hubby.

For example, if someone starts talking about some country they visited or whatever.....I'm hard pressed sometimes to even know what continent it may be on. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/g038.gif" border=0]  It's a situation where I find it best to be a VERY good listener.  But I find it frustrating that this knowledge was at one time basically handed to me and I didn't take it.    

Sportsdude

never had a problem with geography lol that's something I really excelled at.

If it would be anything then my foreign language classes.  I just can't learn in a classroom when it comes to other languages I have to live them. So my biggest regret would be to learning a language.

P.C.

Good example SD.  I was thinking you're probably too young to have felt the real affects of missed opportunities to learn. (maybe not.....as now you are in a 'catch up' situation)....so I guess the 'regret' can come in all forms and at any time.

Sportsdude

nope doesn't really matter what the age is but things I missed out on in high school I definately am going to do in college and to be honest I'll probably have a much better time in a college atmosphere instead of a high school situation.

I've got regrets leaving my first high school missed out on a lot of interesting history and books. But I do tend to read all those books that I missed out on once I finish this class.

Marik

Without a doubt, math. I'll probably regret it later on when I'm slaving away in an office somewhere, thinking, "Wow, if I did better in math, I could have gotten a better job." Too bad math is such a big part of school :(  

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

I can't think of a subject that I needed to pay more attention to.  I do wish that I had the aptitude to remember the learnings from Social Studies.  I suck at history.  

Lil Me

I wish I'd taken the time to understand sciences instead of just cranking out answers.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

CK

I wish I took Art (besides music), more seriously.

Moolah!

[FONT color=#0000ff]Anything I put in an effort to learn on my own, I was good at it. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000ff][/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000ff]That's been my secret to success in life: Learn on your own instead of counting on someone else who may or may not know the subject well, or even if they know it they may not be motivated enough to teach it. Or even if they know the subject and want to teach it, they may be clueless as to how it should be taught.  [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000ff]Most of my teachers sucked big time. [/FONT]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Branwyn

I hated math all throughout and didn't take much interest in this subject area, yet at this time in my life I am using calculations for several different reasons. Luckily enough, the program I entered into a few years ago was able to provide the understanding of how to do these calculations. I would have failed miserably if there wasn't such technology as calculators!  

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
I wish I'd taken the time to understand sciences instead of just cranking out answers.  
   Ding Ding.

I had to go back and redo Math 12 before I got accepted into my program. At the same time we had applied sciences that all had physics, math, thermodynamics, etc etc. I wish I had understood more of the sciences in high school instead of cranking out answers like Lilme wrote.

I found I had to work incredibly harder to understand what was going on. I do get it now.. but it would have been easier to get it the first time.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims