Do you believe in tipping?

Started by Lise, Feb 19 07 09:25

Previous topic - Next topic
|

TehBorken

ripper wrote:
The fact remains that we live in a society that is mostly tip oriented.

At one time we lived in a society that was segregated. That didn't mean it was right.

Mostly i say because some industries just don't get tipped. i can't figure it out.

I don't get it either, to be honest.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Heres something that I have always pondered. Why do some industries get tipped for service, while others dont?

I will admit I worked as a gas station attendant for years. It was a full serve station, and many people tipped when you served them as long as you did a decent job. I never thought about it until I worked there.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Heck, I should get tips for cleaing everyone's teeth. It's a nasty job!!

I've never tipped at a gas station before. Do they really? I've tipped at the hair dresser even if I hate my haircut because I feel like I'm obligated to do it (as well as talk to them). Oh and tipping the taxi drivers..... meh. It's highway robbery to take a cab and then to pay them extra for taking you from point A to point B.

You know what's weird in Florida? If you buy a few items, the grocery boy takes your bags without you asking and puts them into your car then expects you to tip him. Now that I don't understand.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

ripper

TehBorken wrote:

At one time we lived in a society that was segregated. That didn't mean it was right.

Your comparing apples to oranges. You have no choice in segregation. You have the right to leave a million dollar tip to absolutely nothing. It's voluntary.[BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"][SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"] [/SPAN]

P.C.

Your comparing apples to oranges. You have no choice in segregation. You have the right to leave a million dollar tip to absolutely nothing. It's voluntary.

Technically it's NOT voluntary.  Voluntary usually comes with a choice.  If the choice is, tip and you get a smile or don't tip and someone pees in your soup....that's not much of a choice.  It's gone so over the top, that it no longer has anything to do with service....they know they will get tipped regardless.

It really makes me cringe when I hear the waiters/waitresses in our establishment go on about how nasty someone is only to find out that it's all about tips.  It's their gauge of who's nice and who's not.....who doesn't want to serve so and so......sad.[BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

ripper

P.C. i agree with you that it has gone overboard. They expect a tip regardless of the service they provide. But that's just the way it is over here. Let me tell you a story. One time  i took a cab from point A to point B. I even instructed him how to get there. Does he listen. Of course not. He takes a longer route. After we arrive i pay him the exact fare. He had the nerve to say "you don't believe in tipping." I glared at him and say i can't afford it and got out.  

P.C.

I agree ripper......it IS just the way it is.  

It's a timely topic though, because I'm amazed at the amount of people who are openly expressing their resentment regarding tipping lately.  

I tell you a story back....lol.  Recently, where I work, there was a 'celebration of life' function put on by the wife of one of the old fellers that passed away.  He frequented our establishment almost daily for the last 11 years.  A luncheon buffet was put on for their guests.  The tip jars were present on the bar, plus individual tipping throughout the evening by way of their credit cards.

When they were given their bill the next day, there was a $450.00 gratuity tacked on to the buffet cost.  I have nothing to do with this entity of our establishment, and yet I still felt shame and embarrassment.  Anyways, the son refused to pay it.  I was like ......yeayyyyyyyyy!!!!  Good for you!!! (in my head of course)  THEN the person responsible for this, was relating the story to me, complaining about the guys bad judgement, and I said .....yeayyyyyyyy!!! Good for him !!!  Then I apologized and told him I did not share his feeling of outrage.

I know that ultimately, tipping will eventually be a thing of the past and the costs will be absorbed into the already overly inflated prices of restaurant fare.  But somehow I think I can live with this more than I can live with the notion that I'm paying wages for a staff I don't have.  

ripper

Wow. Talk about greedy. They get tipped all night and still expect a tip the next day. You should read Bitter Waitress. It's hilarious.

P.C.

Exactly.  How to get 'em coming and going.

Bitter Waitress?  Sounds interesting.  Should I guess what it's about?  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]

.....by ?

Future Canadian

Great thread! Too bad I caught up to it late.
I work in the kitchen so the whole tipping custom also stikes me as a bit weird and unfair. "Why just the servers?" is my big question. When a server walks out the door with (mostly tax free) cash that is two or three times what the chef makes in a night how is that fair? Cooks are under every bit of intense pressure that servers are, and work just as hard to get the food out hot, quick and well-presented. Cooks also have more schooling and training to get where they are. This is not to dog on servers because I know that is a tough job as well, I'm just saying everyone in a restaraunt works hard and deserves a bigger share of the largesse.

I used to work at a counter service pizza place. It was understandable to me when someone didn't feel the need to tip (unless they had us running around a lot), but those that did tip well always got the nicest slice of pizza.

It is curious though, how it evolved into this customary thing. But I don't mind it, since it's been good to me over the years.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

It was understandable to me when someone didn't feel the need to tip (unless they had us running around a lot), [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dfffbf"]but those that did tip well always got the nicest slice of pizza.[/FONT]

Why?

TehBorken

[font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2"] ripper wrote:
Your comparing apples to oranges. You have no choice in segregation.

Okay...at one time we lived in a society that thought premarital sex was wrong. Same idea.

You have the right to leave a million dollar tip to absolutely nothing. It's voluntary.

[/font][font style="font-family: Verdana;" color="#696969" size="2"][a href="http://quotationnation.com/quote_9715.htm" class="slnk"]The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets and to steal bread.[/a]  [/font][font style="font-family: Verdana;" size="2"]
[/font]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

ripper

TehBorkin, if there is such a law i wish they would act upon it. Fact is i practically trip over people sleeping on the sidewalks. As far as the fake homeless goes(panhandlers) i wish that was the case. There mere presence infuriates me.  

Trollio

[span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"] Trollio wrote:[/span][br style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"][span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"] I [/span][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"]detest[/span][span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"] tipping. [/span][br style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"][br style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"][span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"]But I always do it in restaurants and usually 18-20%. It definitely improves the whole experience, because as wait staff remember the stiffers, they also remember the good tippers.[/span]

A perfect example of why I always tip in restaurants occurred just last night. We were at a function where the host provided what was possibly the most paltry concept of refreshments I have ever seen at a function from 5.00 to 9.30. So afterwards, we ran out looking for someplace to get dinner, and were faced with the ten minutes-to-closing situation. (Most kitchens close at 10.)

We arrived at a place where we are regulars at 9.53.  The waitress initially told the bartender that they were closed, but when she saw that it was us, she came and got us and we in turn got our dinner. Needless to say, she was tipped just over 20%.

As for cruises, those things are so far over the top anyway that you just sort of accept that you're going to be paying out money for a week for all kinds of things. A cruise ship takes in anywhere from 5-10 million dollars [USD] every time it operates. I can see the point of those who don't like the mandatory gratuity, but I get past it by looking at it as if I have hired a maid for the week.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

ripper

I hear you trollio. The restaurant that i'm a regular in, i'm treated great Mind you i always tip 30%. It's almost like joining a club. Membership comes with many benefits.  

|