Do you believe in tipping?

Started by Lise, Feb 19 07 09:25

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Orca

In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10-year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him.

How much is an ice cream sundae?"

"Fifty cents," replied the waitress.

The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied a number of coins in it. "How much is a dish of plain ice cream?" he inquired.

Some people were now waiting for a table and the waitress was a bit impatient. "Thirty-five cents," she said brusquely.

The little boy again counted the coins. "I'll have the plain ice cream," he said.

The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away. The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and departed. When the waitress came back, she began wiping down the table and then swallowed hard at what she saw. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies-her tip.

Lise

Ah, that's such a nice story. Thanks, Orca.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Orca

I tried to tip more than I use to now, after I found out many waiters & waitresses live by tip money (not salaries).    

ripper

Yes i prefer to eat in fine restaurants as opposed to the chain restaurants. The meals taste better and are healthier for you.

Sportsdude

I'm a big tipper. The best was that one girl at the Vietnamese place....  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I notice most answers here are if and why you tip.  If the question is 'Do you believe in tipping', my answer is no.  However, I DO tip and I tip well ONLY because it has become customary.  I absolutely don't buy into the 'if you don't tip them you're costing them money' guilt trip.  These systems are set up by their employer....not their customers and complaints such as these should be taken up with their employers.

I never used to have a problem with it, until I heard so much complaining about who left only this much and who left only that much.  Not to mention the nightmare stories I've heard of what people have had done to them if their tip isn't considered satisfactory.  IT'S A TIP !  IT'S FREE MONEY.

I'd much rather see employers be required to pay their servers an appropriate wage than paying the minimum, and expecting the public to pick up the difference.  They would be more selective of who they hire....their turnover would be cut substantially (and that costs BIG money) and  quality service would be a standard requirement.  

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/k030.gif" border=0]

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

Orca wrote:
Do you believe in tipping?

Do I believe in tipping? Hell, man, I've seen it!

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Sounds like someone needs a spanking.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a077.gif" border=0]

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
Sounds like someone needs a spanking.  

Promises, promises.....

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c032.gif" border=0].

Lise

You two need a private room with tons of tipping from both sides!!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I'm scared to show my face at the vietnamese place lol after the giant tip haha I still laugh over that.  

P.C.

Why would you be afraid if you left a big tip?

Sportsdude

I have no idea, its a family run place and well I know the girl would probably be working their if I went in.
lol

Queer Eye

I'm a big believer in tipping!  

Isn't it obvious that the prices will increase dramatically if there's no tipping?  Do you think that the owners love you so much that they'll take a cut in their profits?  How does the customer win?  Wouldn't you rather have a nubile babe serving you or one the same type of people that clean toilets, deliver pizza or drive cabs (no offense to any of them)?  If you're a regular, and you tip well, you'll notice the difference!  If you want to be cheap and mean spirited, I suppose you can stiff them if you never intend on going there again.  But if you're a regular, you will be treated accordingly.  Believe it!  The pizza drivers may not remember your name, but they recognize your address; your barber will use the clippers instead of taking his time with scissors etc.

The irony is that if you're a regular and you don't tip well, you won't see any point in tipping because you're not treated that well and you'll feel justified for stiffing them.  It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

|