Do you believe in tipping?

Started by Lise, Feb 19 07 09:25

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lise

Do you think we should tip in general? I believe we should tip for a good service. However, I feel obligated to tip even though I get bad service. (like a bad haircut)

What are you thoughts?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Aboozer

I tip based on preformance not percentage. In a restaurant when I am receiving bad service before I give a not so good tip I also look around to at the servers work load.
I am who I am, love me or hate me...f*ck you if you don't like it.

NOW WHERES MY BEER!

ripper

I used to tip according to service provided. Now i tip 15% or more regardless of service just to ensure that the crunch in my salad is from crutons and not something else.

purelife

I tip according to service.  If the staff is super friendly, went out of his/her way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable, then my tip will be quite high.  If not, I'll tip at a bit less than 10% for terrible service AND I would say something, depending on my mood.

Gopher

I give a good tip if the service is good, otherwise nothing (unless it's made clear that it's included in the price, then a) I can't avoid it and b) I don't mind). It's when I feel morally or emotionally manipulated into giving something that my hackles start to rise.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

ripper

Gopher, while i admire your principles, i have to question your judgement. Unless you plan on not returning that waiter or waitress will probably remember you. They even have a website called Bitter Waitress to complain about stiffers. Would you ever feel comfortable eating there again especially if you are seated at said person's section.

purelife

I do believe in tipping, is the answer to Lise's original question.  It's customary here.  It's expected.  If it wasn't customary and expected, then one wouldn't have to feel bad to not leave a tip.  But generally, I always leave something, even if it's the worst service ever imagineable, which I have not encountered yet.

I've waitressed before and it's not easy being a server, and a pleasant one at the same time.  I give credit to servers who try their best after long hours on his/her feet.  I've never encountered a table who left nothing behind.  If I did, I'd feel bad and would wonder what went wrong all evening.  Getting a nice tip made me feel appreciated.  It says "Thank you, I enjoyed my dining experience with you today."

Gopher

ripper wrote:
 Gopher, while i admire your principles, i have to question your judgement. Unless you plan on not returning that waiter or waitress will probably remember you. They even have a website called Bitter Waitress to complain about stiffers. Would you ever feel comfortable eating there again especially if you are seated at said person's section.

Yes, I would feel comforatble sitting there again. I'm employed in the quasi-voluntary sector and therefore my extra-mural philanthropy has to restrict itself merely to helping keep someone in employment. Were I assured that the 'tippee' (??) had an even less lower income than my own, then perhaps I would do otherwise.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Yeah, it could be tough to leave a tip when one doesn't make much or is tight on cash.  I try not to dine out too often when this is the case with me.  

Lil Me

Y'all need to remember that Servers MUST tip-out a set percentage of sales (usually 2-5%?) to the kitchen and bartender regardless of whether the customer left a tip.  The computer ordering system tracks tip-out totals.  So if you stiff the server, you've COST them money.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Good point, Lil Me.  I think that that's done more at a chain-level operated restaurants, ie, Cactus Club, Milestones, Earl's, The Keg, etc.

ripper

Purelife. the waiter or waitresses have to tip out even in fancy restaurants. In 5 star restaurants the busboy or busgirl brings you your meal. The waiters job is to interact with the customer.

purelife

Ah yes, and fancy restaurants.  Forgot about them.  I rarely dine there, so didn't include them in my list.  :)  

Are you a fine diner, Ripper?

purelife

I do like the idea of how tips are shared amongst the staff.  It's all about TeamWork.  There's no "I" in TeamWork.  :)

Lise

Well, it's their fault if they're acting like asses when they're serving mua. I mean, I come to a restaurant and expect to be treated fairly decently (and by that, I mean my meals hot, on time and what I order). I do not expect to be treated like a celebrity star or a queen so if you give me good service, I'll reward you with a decent tip. Fair's fair.

What about buffets? Do you guys tip at buffets that you have to line up and get food yourself? I usually leave a small amount, not a lot because I'm the one that's getting my own food, forks... whatever myself.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

|