DS unresponsive & crapping out big time...

Started by Moolah!, Feb 14 07 05:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

TehBorken wrote:
You won't be able to do this. It's to prevent anyone from using that HTML keyword word to force unwanted content into the site. The same goes for words like "ja v a s c r i p t" and several others. It's for your protection.

Interesting! thanks for the explanation TB. To be honest I dont know enough to know what Im doing anyhow, so what you just said went over my head. Im serious here. lol.

So, jsut so I understand, the 'embed' if it were together with something else could link another site to here? Dont we do that with pictures and links? Or have I just gone off into the bushes with this one? What does 'jvascript' do? The word I mean?

I dont admit to understand this, I avoided all computer sciences and typing classes in school. I went into sciences and mechanics. Thanks TB!
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:
[font color="#00bf60"]Didn't know that's why it was happening. I'd think there'd be a direct way to disable these functions instead of resorting to such creative measures.

[span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"]That is the direct way, unless you don't want to be able to use HTML in your messages (like the [span style="color: rgb(96, 191, 0);"]colored[/span] [span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]letters[/span] [span style="color: rgb(192, 0, 0);"]you're[/span] [span style="color: rgb(52, 125, 126);"]fond[/span] of). [/span][/font]
[a style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" onclick="addImg('icon/icon_smile.gif')" href="jvascript:void%280%29"][/a][font color="#00bf60"][span style="font-weight: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"]  Then it would be back to plain old boring ASCII text- no colors, pictures, smilies, etc. [/span]
 [/font]

[font color="#00bf60"][/font]
[/div][div][font color="#00bf60"][/font]
[font color="#407f00"][/font]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TehBorken

Russ wrote:
 So, jsut so I understand, the 'emb ed' if it were together with something else could link another site to here?

Yes, they could launch pop-ups, redirect your browser, or possibly load an exploit like a trojan or a virus onto your PC, especially if you're using Internet Explorer. There are all sorts of possibilities, none of them good and none of them are things you'd want someone to be able to do.

Dont we do that with pictures and links? Or have I just gone off into the bushes with this one?

Well, sort of, but it limits the way that the content can be forced into the browser and it limits the type as well. For example, we don't allow people to link directly to .s w f files. They can cause big trouble for unwary surfers, like popping 10,000 windows and causing your PC to lock up and crash.

What does 'jvascript' do? The word I mean?

It's the keyword to begin running active content from a scripting language (j avascript). You really don't want people to be able to do that.  Trust me, that one is for your own good.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Oh, dont worry, lol. I do trust you on this stuff. Im seriously in the dark with this, and Im trying to pick up on some of it, so I do appreciate your answers!

And thanks for the middle answer with the swf files. I remember having some problems with getting a joke link to load in the joke thread, and I couldnt understand it, the link ending kept changing. So I got mad and left a remark in the post saying to skip what I put in there.

EDIT: so this is the same idea with the jvascript and embed, that was used on DV with swear words and with lise and PSL's names?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

|