How to make a difference

Started by tenkani, Feb 16 07 11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

tenkani

So, a while back I heard about the concept of "micro-loans" as a way to help people in developing countries start businesses without just giving handouts.

The Kiva organization has been on PBS, CNN and elsewhere. It's really blown up. Here is how they describe their efforts...

Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back.

And that's the great thing. You aren't donating to a charity. You're loaning money to people who have dreams of running a successful business. Believe it or not, the loan default rate is very low. The potential recipients are vetted to make sure they have a solid business plan and aren't scammers. It's all described on the site so I won't go into too much detail. Just thought you guys might like to know about this. It's a very personal way (you can see the pics and business plans) to make a difference in the world without just handing money over to a giant organization and hoping that it does some good.

[A href="http://www.kiva.org/"]http://www.kiva.org/[/A]  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I like this.  Thanks tenkani.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Better than charity. I never knew there was such an organization out there that does this. It makes sense though. Good link tenkani.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

What an interesting concept and a beautiful link.  Thanks for sharing this tenkani.  :)  Bless.

tenkani

Oh, the best thing is that they encourage small loans.

Like $25.

They don't expect you to single-handedly buy some guy a new bison.

You team up with a bunch of other people and just pay for a bison chunk.

Mmmmmmm, bison chunks.    

P.C.

I REALLY like how the whole thing is set up.  (The journals etc.)  Had you heard of this from anywhere other than the internet tenkani?

tenkani

Yes! There was a story about the site on national public radio but I first heard about it from a hyper-aware politically active friend who's been helping a woman in latin america with her school lunch stand. It sounds like they message back and forth a little bit, so maybe someone could theoretically find a love connection on Kiva.org. I'm not sure how to feel about that possibility.  

P.C.

It sounds like they message back and forth a little bit, so maybe someone could theoretically find a love connection on Kiva.org. I'm not sure how to feel about that possibility.

Well, it would be keeping within the topic anyway.

Well I think I'll have to have a chat with Mr P.C.  

kingy

they really dont ask for much either. do you know at what point they pay back the loan?