NDP proposing February federal flag day holiday

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 15 07 03:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

NDP proposing February federal flag day Holiday
Ctv.ca

New Democrat MP Peggy Nash says she has a perfect way to help Canadians get over the February blahs.   Nash is introducing a private member's bill to declare to declare Flag Day, Feb. 15, a federal holiday.
[/p]She says Canadians need a break in the middle of winter and Flag Day is a great day to have that break.   [/p]Nash says Canadians have pride in their country and the flag symbolizes the country. [/p]She says it also doesn't hurt that Flag Day comes right after Valentine's Day.   Ottawa author and inventor Roy Mayer has been pushing for a flag day for years and says he believes the bill will appeal to "every patriotic Member of Parliament." [/p]Mayer says a February holiday is bound to happen some time and it would be a shame if it was a mundane name like Family Day or Heritage Day instead of Flag Day.   Nash says her bill would make Flag Day a federal holiday and it would be up to the provinces to decide if they also wanted the statutory holiday.[/p]
[a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070215/flag_day_070215/20070215?hub=Canada"]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070215/flag_day_070215/20070215?hub=Canada[/a]
[/p]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TheAngel

We already have Canada Day!!!

At least if we're going to have another holiday, think of an original reason.

Something interesting perhaps?

Marik

As much as I would like a day off, making a holiday because of the flag is a joke.  

Russ

who cares. they do what they want anyhow.. and the ndp isnt a major power yet.

the one that has me worried is the fact that campbell has decided to smack us with california style emmissions nazi tactics. I mean its good but to want to curb the economy when its finally turned around has me really worried.

I pay astronomical taxes as it is with my income, what else are they going to nail me with to make this fly. Hmm, caymans are looking better and better.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

TheAngel

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"] Marik wrote:[/span][br style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"][span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]As much as I would like a day off, making a holiday because of the flag is a joke.   [/span]

I completely agree.

Moolah!

[FONT color=#ff00ff]I propose the day after Valentine's Day should be made Underwear Holiday.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff00ff][/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff00ff]More Canadians own underwear than flag... so it'd be appreciated even more. And it'd appeal to all the underwear users of the Parliment![/FONT]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

tenkani

How about national Stay Cuddled in Bed Because It's Freaking Cold Out Day?![/DIV]
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TheAngel

Who wants to think about flags the day after Valentine's day?

I'm sure if you're in love, that is top priority, right?

Lise

A Flag Day? What a stupid idea. Have something more significant like Let's Romp Together Day or Let's Get Naked and Dirty Day instead. The nerve of some people!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I don't really care what they call it I'd be happy to take the day off. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Lise wrote:
 A Flag Day? What a stupid idea. Have something more significant like Let's Romp Together Day or Let's Get Naked and Dirty Day instead. The nerve of some people! [/DIV]
 im all for seeing lise 'romp around' naked together with me.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims