Kinda morbid sweet

Started by Lise, Feb 13 07 02:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Two skeletons locked in a death embrace forever.

[FONT size=1]This photo provided by the Archaeological Society SAP in Mantua, northern Italy shows a pair of human skeletons found at a construction site. (AP Photo/Archaeological Society SAP, ho)[/FONT]

[H3]Skeletons locked in embrace won't be separated [/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Tue. Feb. 13 2007 8:34 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]Associated Press

[!-- dateline --]ROME [!-- /dateline --]-- Italy's recently discovered prehistoric couple will continue their 5,000-year-old embrace undisturbed through Valentine's Day and beyond.

The two skeletons unearthed last week locked in a deep hug will be scooped out of the earth in one piece to undergo tests before going on display in the northern Italian city of Mantua, archeologists said Tuesday.

The pair, buried between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago in the late Neolithic period, are believed to be a man and a woman and are thought to have died young, because their teeth were found intact.

Archeologists have hailed the find, saying that double burials from that period are rare and none have been found in such a touching pose.

The burial was unearthed on the outskirts of Mantua during construction work. The site is located just 25 miles south of Verona, the city where Shakespeare set the story of "Romeo and Juliet" and the discovery fueled musings in the media about prehistoric love.

Archeologists too have said there is little doubt the couple's pose was born of a deep love, but have warned that it will be almost impossible to determine the exact nature of their relationship and how they died.

Mantua's archeological office said in a statement Tuesday that in some cases of the period, the wife would be sacrificed when her husband died and buried with him. However, the statement stressed that "at the current stage of research" there is no evidence that this is what happened to Mantua pair.

After undergoing lab tests the couple will be displayed together at Mantua's Archeological Museum, the statement said.

The discovery was made in a region rich in Neolithic treasures, including some 30 burial sites, all single, as well as the remains of prosperous villages filled with artifacts made of flint, pottery and animal horns.

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070213/skeletons_embrace_070213/20070213?hub=SciTech"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070213/skeletons_embrace_070213/20070213?hub=SciTech[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Raver

CSI Rome technicians were able to reconstruct the events leading to the death of this couple.  It turns out they both had such rancid morning breath, they accidentally choked each other to death.

Lise

Raver. Ya had to write that, didn't ya? LOL.

You should start a thread dedicated to the Wit of the Raver. I'd be the first to pay thee homage.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Raver

Lise wrote:
 Raver. Ya had to write that, didn't ya? LOL.

You should start a thread dedicated to the Wit of the Raver. I'd be the first to pay thee homage. [/DIV]

You flatter me!

I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like that.  

Lise

No worries. We'll think of something to make your chi pop.....
Bill Cosby.

purelife

[font style="font-weight: bold;" size="6"]RAVER ROCKS!  [/font]  

Raver

jeez girls!  You're making me blush!

purelife

Anything else blushin' and flushin'? ;)  If ya know what I mean... ;)  

Raver

purelife wrote:
Anything else blushin' and flushin'? ;)  If ya know what I mean... ;)  

Hey ladies, anyone interested in making a skeletal menage a trois for future generations to dig up?

Giggidy Giggidy

P.C.

That IS a real bitter sweet pic Lise.  *cry*
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.