HOW TO DENY PANHANDLERS W/O INCIDENT

Started by Fed Up, Feb 09 07 10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

healthy guy

tenkani wrote:
This thread makes the Jesus cry. Literally.
I have no experience with Vancouver homeless, but around here some of these people have actually fallen on hard times and need help. Some are scam artists and loonies, others have just had a string of very bad luck. I would be careful about characterizing all beggars as scumbags.

Good post. I agree. There are some people that are homeless these days due to retardedly high housing costs. Others with mental instability. Its a bloody joke when some Asstard calls them all SCUM!  

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

[span class="categoryheadline"]OUR MISSION[/span]
Real Change exists to create opportunity and a voice for low-income people while taking action to end homelessness and poverty.

[span class="categoryheadline"]A REAL DIFFERENCE[/span]
[em]The Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project [/em]has many faces, a newspaper, an advocacy group, a [em]Homeless Speakers Bureau[/em], and literary workshops. We do a lot, and all of it is working toward building bridges among the poor, homeless and the greater community, while engaging the broader public in fighting for economic justice. By publishing the newspaper and mobilizing the public around poverty issues, [em]Real Change[/em] organizes, educates and builds alliances to find community-based solutions to homelessness and poverty. The [em]Real Change[/em] is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization.                            
[a href="http://www.realchangenews.org/board.html"]Board of Directors[/a]

[span class="categoryheadline"]OUR PROGRAMS [/span][a href="http://www.realchangenews.org/"]
[span class="categoryheadline"]REAL CHANGE NEWSPAPER[/span][/a]
[em]Real Change[/em] is Seattle's weekly activist publication with an ear to the street. [em]Real Change[/em] readers             are educated, socially-concerned, and loyal. Our publication is sold by Seattle's homeless, and helps them earn the money they need to get ahead. Each month, more than 200 different vendors are out selling our paper throughout the Seattle area. [em]Real Change[/em] is a hand up, not a handout.
Our publication strives to create fairness, opportunity and community by covering issues that socially conscious people want to know about, from topics surrounding poor and homelessness, to stories about labor, the environment, public health and civil liberties (to name a few).  After ten years, [em]Real Change News[/em] went weekly (from bimonthly) in Feb. 2005, and carries a paid circulation of 12,000 per issue. Our vendors pay 35 cents a copy for their papers, which are then sold on the street for a dollar donation.

[a href="http://www.realchangenews.org/firstthingsfirst/ftfhome.html"]FIRST THINGS FIRST[/a]
Builds grassroots support for a more humane Seattle, by advocating that creating low-income housing and providing adequate shelter for all should be among our city's highest priorities. First things First is working to ensure that elected officials know voters care about homelessness.

[a href="http://www.realchangenews.org/hsb/" target="_blank"]HOMELESS SPEAKERS BUREAU[/a]
Arranges for homeless and formerly homeless people to speak to schools. businesses, civic organizations, and religious groups. Speakers are drawn from the homeless and formerly homeless community.

[a href="http://www.realchangenews.org/otm.html" target="_blank"]OUT OF THE MARGINS[/a]
Out of the Margins is a project developed in partnership between Real Change and the Seattle Public Library. This ongoing series of literary arts workshops aims to empower and build confidence through offering the underserved public access to educational and creative opportunities at the Seattle Public Library.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Moolah!

healthy guy wrote:

Good post. I agree. There are some people that are homeless these days due to retardedly high housing costs. Others with mental instability. Its a bloody joke when some Asstard calls them all SCUM!

Oh fuk off already with your guilt trip! If you love'em so much take'em into your home. So STFU!

We've been through this HUNDREDS of times on DV.

You don't live around those asswipes. I do!

You don't get pestered by them as SOON as you step outside your home. I do!

Get this through your THICK head, moron: They don't need any food. They're not hungry. Some of them are better fed than I am.

They get FREE food. With my tax dollars!

Most of them have better shoes than I do!

Every single penny you give to these parasites go directly into feeding their DRUG habit. Got it?

Don't fool yourself into believing that you're doing a good deed by giving them your spare change.

You're only contributing to street level drug trafficking.

It's precisely because of goofballs like YOU that keep feeding these fk'ing low lifes, that they ended up multiplying beyond control.

Shitheads like YOU reinforce the idea that they can live the rest of their lives without working and shooting up in plain daylight, because no one has the balls to tell them "Enough is enough!"

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a043.gif" border=0]      
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

tenkani

Yeah, hey I also don't mean to minimize the annoyance of having somebody up in your face and getting aggressive, or pulling a scam. I'm just saying generalizing doesn't go anywhere positive. And I don't happen to think that decieving someone or telling them to f*ck off when you don't know their story is a classy thing to do.

Then again, I don't have to deal with beggars very often anymore.

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

tenkani

Raging Poodle, do you really find it necessary to be a complete prick about this?
I can tell you're just venting, as you can't honestly believe that EVERY street person is a drug addict as you just claimed. I think our point was not to make assumptions based simply on the fact that someone is dirty and asks you for help. Hatred is the easy way out. Grow up.

Sportsdude

yes some of the homeless in Vancouver have drug problems but statistics have PROVEN that most homeless in Vancouver HOMELESS because of mental diseases (depression) and job loss.  They had a big 5 part series on CTV about this.    

Moolah!

tenkani wrote:
Raging Poodle, do you really find it necessary to be a complete prick about this?
I can tell you're just venting, as you can't honestly believe that EVERY street person is a drug addict as you just claimed. I think our point was not to make assumptions based simply on the fact that someone is dirty and asks you for help. Hatred is the easy way out. Grow up.

Calling me a "prick" won't make you any less of a goofball.

Nor could I care less about all the negative karma points you want to give me.

You're not involved in the situation, you don't even live here - so what the fuk do you know?

YOU need to grow the fuk up, because you're talking out of your arse as usual.

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Sportsdude

[h3]Who are the people living in streets and shelters?[/h3]  [p class="timeStamp"]Updated Wed. Dec. 6 2006 10:00 PM ET[/p] [p class="storyAttributes"]CTV.ca News Staff[/p]   Yogi Chandra is one of Vancouver's homeless, but he doesn't suffer from drug addiction, mental health problems or even unemployment. He simply can't afford housing in Canada's most expensive city. [/p]  [/p]According to one charity worker, up to 20 per cent of Vancouver's homeless have jobs. [/p]  [/p]Chandra lives in a Surrey shelter called Hyland House -- a place he heard about from a homeless person he once gave food, before he lost his own home. [/p]  [/p]"I felt sorry for that gentleman and I helped him out," Chandra told CTV Vancouver. "I never thought this would happen to me." [/p]  [/p]He now works as a landscaper three or four days a week, but lacks the money to afford rent. His free time is spent helping other homeless people at the shelter. [/p]  [/p]"The reason I'm here is because I can't afford to have a basement suite at the moment, because I'm not financially rich," said Chandra. "And that's my goal: to save up enough money so I can get out of here very shortly." [/p]  [/p]When a new poll asked Vancouver residents why individuals become homeless, only 27 per cent blamed a lack of affordable housing. By contrast, 57 per cent thought drug or alcohol addiction. [/p]  [/p]The survey was conducted by the Strategic Counsel for CTV, the [em]Globe and Mail[/em] and CKNW Radio. [/p]  [/p]Saira Khan leads a program called Project Comeback that helps the working homeless find housing. She said that 20 per cent of homeless people are employed, usually as day labourers or through temporary employment. [/p]  [/p]The program is overseen by the Newton Advocacy Group and is the only one of its kind in Canada. [/p]  [/p]"We assist them with damage deposit, first month's rent, work boots, whatever is required," said Khan.
[/p]According to Peter Fidos of Options Hyland House, the high cost of rent in Vancouver is forcing some employed people to live in shelters. [/p]  [/p]"People are working and they can't afford to live," he said. [/p]  [/p]"When you're paying $700 to $1,000 a month and you're working at $8.50, you're not cutting it anymore. People being told that a job leads to independence is starting to sound like a hollow lie." [/p]  [/p]The Greater Vancouver area also has the highest average price for homes in Canada at $518,176, according sales recorded by the Canadian Real Estate Association's Multiple Listing Service. [/p]  [/p]That's far higher than Toronto, which has the second-highest average price at $365,537.
[/p]The minimum wage in British Columbia is set at $8 per hour. Michael Beckley makes $9 per hour, but like Chandra he still found himself living in a homeless shelter. [/p]  [/p]"It was a little degrading, but I figure the ends justified the means, and it's better to be in a place like this than out on the street," he said. [/p]  [/p]Thanks to Project Comeback, Beckley was provided with a damage deposit and able to find an affordable basement suite. [/p]  [/p]Chandra is also hoping the program will help him move out of his Surrey shelter room. [/p]  [/p]"Everything costs so much these days," he said. "And ten bucks doesn't get you around." [/p]  [/p]For more information about Project Comeback, please phone 604-596-2311 or 604-916-5112.
[/p]

[/p]
[/p]

[/p]
[/p]Yogi Chandra is trying to save up enough money to get out the shelter and into his own home

Some residents find sleeping in shelters 'a little degrading,' but better than living inthe streets

Peter Fidos of Options Hyland House

Michael Beckley makes $9 per hour, but still found himself living in a homeless shelter.

49er

Once when I was in SF Chinatown and was getting out the elevator of the parking structure, a panhandler greeted me with his hand out and with two quarters in his palm.  Thinking I don't speak English he didn't say a word.  I just took the two quarters and pocketed them and walked away.

tenkani

EDIT: DELETED DUE TO ANNOYING PREACHY CONENT (AND RAT FECES IN EXCESS OF GOVT. STANDARDS).

P.C.

Hmmm....I thought it was well written tenkani.  I wonder what that means. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

tenkani wrote:
EDIT: DELETED DUE TO ANNOYING PREACHY CONENT (AND RAT FECES IN EXCESS OF GOVT. STANDARDS).

I thought that it was well written, tenkani.  :)  You often have a great way of articulating your words.  

tenkani

Thanks. I don't trust myself to touch this topic right now.
Not here anyway.

purelife

Same here.  I was hesitating to post what I just posted.  I might delete it.  Who knows?

|