Synaesthesia

Started by Moolah!, Feb 08 07 01:32

Previous topic - Next topic
|

TheAngel

Raging Poodle! wrote:
P.C. wrote:
 Coloured hearing.  Yes I know what you're talking about.  I've always been fascinated with this 'affliction'.

There's a thread in here somewhere on this.  (or maybe it was DV)[/div]
 [div]Yes, there's been a recent mention of synaesthesia on DV, because I brought it up. You can't discuss this topic with any sincerity over there though.

And despite the hundreds of hits my threads received, as far as I know only one person came forward and mentioned that she had it.

[span style="background-color: rgb(128, 255, 0);"]But then, the aformentioned person uses 98 different aliases so it felt like I had a lot of company.[/span]

AHAHAHAHA That's so funny.  

I bet you don't know who I am on DV today??? ;)

Lise

Interesting tidbit on the colored auras there, Angel. I never thought about that. The book I'm reading has a character that see things happening to people. Kinda icky when she started to see a dead face around a woman. I don't ever want to experience that.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

TheAngel

Raging Poodle! wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]PC, there're dozens of forms of synaesthesia so don't get caught up in that one single form (ie. "colored hearing") that is way overplayed by the media. [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]They don't know any better, so they get fixated on that... (which makes me really roll up my eyes)[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]If I showed you a picture of a flower, can you tell me what it sounds like?[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]If I gave you an abstract concept, can you tell me what its texture is like?[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="background-color: rgb(191, 191, 255); font-style: italic;"]What does DS sound like? How does it smell? And taste?[/div] [div style="background-color: rgb(191, 191, 255); font-style: italic;"] [/div] Do eggplants sing? Can tomatoes dance?  [img style="font-style: italic;" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif[/img]

[span style="color: rgb(128, 128, 255);"][span style="background-color: rgb(191, 223, 255); font-weight: bold; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]I had posted this on DV already back in December when I was new 'round DV.[/span][br style="background-color: rgb(191, 223, 255); font-weight: bold; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"][span style="background-color: rgb(191, 223, 255); font-weight: bold; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]Behold, DS!!![/span]

[/span]

[/div]Which one is Russ, Purelife, Tenkani, Lise, PC, etc??   I'm the cat, btw. :)

I think Russ is the space boy on top of the can.  Yaaaargh! ;)
 [div]

purelife

I was also reading Stir of Echos and in the book, the main character got hypnotized.  After the hypnosis, he saw and heard dead people and he developed this mind-reading skill or something rather.  For example, his wife never told him to buy sugar but he brought sugar home and his wife was all flustered.  He thought that his wife told him to buy sugar.  Her thoughts were communicating to him and he heard them.    

Lise

Awwwww............................too flaming cute!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

purelife wrote:
I was also reading Stir of Echos and in the book, the main character got hypnotized.  After the hypnosis, he saw and heard dead people and he developed this mind-reading skill or something rather.  For example, his wife never told him to buy sugar but he brought sugar home and his wife was all flustered.  He thought that his wife told him to buy sugar.  Her thoughts were communicating to him and he heard them.  

Imagine if his wife starts having thoughts about sleeping with another man..... would he be interested in sleeping with another man too?  

Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I love that pic.......too cute.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TheAngel

I have heard that assigning 'Genders' to objects is also a form of 'Synaesthesia'.

Moolah!

Some more examples. You decide if it's synaesthesia, or something else:

- When I read a recipe, I know what the end product will taste like - even if I've never prepared that dish before. This is also how I discovered my synaethesia. (I have over 15 yrs. experience in food preparation. However I'm not a chef.)

- Similarly, when I read the list of ingredients of an item at a supermarket, more often than not I can taste the end product even if that's the first time I'm purchasing it.

- Abstract renditions: I can make an abstract rendition of anything or anyone. Abstract was my fave genre when I painted. However not all abstract representations are aesthetic enough to be worthy of public display.

- Customized cocktails: I look at a person, then focus about 20 seconds, and "taste" what type of live juice cocktail they'd most enjoy (or their body is craving for) I've been juicing for over a decade...

- Sniffing out people's intentions: Men might have difficulty relating to this, but ask any woman and they "know" if a man is confident or not. Why? Because they can "smell" it. Yes, confidence has its own smell.

And it's not only about confidence. You can smell greed also. Or arrogance for that matter. And many other intentions with which people approach you. (Panhandlers smell like poo BTW. Don't tune into them.)

- Fruity melodies and such: Fruits and vegetables can have their own tones. And not all insects are disgusting. Some are cute and can have their own tunes (although in real life they may not emit any buzzing sounds at all). These tunes can vary, even from bug to bug within the same species.

- Sensual style: By focusing on my hands I can usually tell how a woman wants to be touched, regardless of whether I know her or not.

Not all women like being rubbed or caressed. Some just like to be held still. Some like really slow motions. Some like it rough. Some don't like being touched at all. And some are plain weird that it makes my stomach twist. [img onmousedown=travesmilie(this.src); height=15 src="http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-014.gif" width=15]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

purelife

- Sensual style: By focusing on my hands I can usually tell how a woman wants to be touched, regardless of whether I know her or not.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]Oooo...you must be every women's dream. ;)[/span]

TheAngel

Hmm upon reading your post a second time moo...

I can smell 'disintention'/dishonesty and 'ulterior motives' in people like nobodies business.    

P.C.

Those things all sound pretty cool....I would have never associated them with synaesthesia.

You might find this site interesting Raging Poodle.

[A href="http://www.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/jamie.ward/synaesthesia.htm"]http://www.psychol.ucl.ac.uk/jamie.ward/synaesthesia.htm[/A]  

Moolah!

I'm familiar with that site. The more I look, the more resources I see on the Net. However much to my dismay most of them are going blah blah blah trying to sound pseudoscientific and all, but not really saying anything that's worthwhile reading. I feel I'm wasting my time reading their drivel because most researchers are not synaesthetes themselves and they're dead wrong most of the time.  

Have you come across with any sites that talk about practical (and useful) applications of synaesthesia?

In my examples you can see how they can be pragmatic skills to have in daily life. I'm looking for sites and people who've figured out ways of "grounding" this skill and putting it to some real use, instead of getting caught up in yapping about its theoretical implications and what part of the brain might be involved etc.    

P.C.

I haven't Raging Poodle.  I'm quite surprized how much info there is out there now though.  When I first started looking into it there was NOTHING.  I was certain I must have been misspelling it.

A lot of the stuff I'm reading sounds like they are blurring intuitiveness with synaesthesia.  

Moolah!

TheAngel wrote:
  Moohlah,

Can you paint a picture of me, using all the synaesthetic colours and email it to me please? thx. :)

[FONT color=#ff7f00]Ha! You sure ask a lot. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff7f00][/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff7f00]You realize it can take between 45mins - 3 hrs. to do an abstract rendition on a legal size paper?[/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff7f00]But guess what? That's exactly what I used to do before I met some of those fat chicks off the Net... [/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff7f00]I was painting actively at the time, so I could tune in so fast, and I'd do their abstract pictures... some of them were blah, but some of them were stunning. (Not the fat chicks, but their paintings.) [/FONT]

[FONT color=#ff7f00]But hey I'm speaking by my standards, so don't make a Da Vinci out of me... [img onmousedown=travesmilie(this.src); height=15 src="http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-044.gif" width=15][/FONT]

|