Synaesthesia

Started by Moolah!, Feb 08 07 01:32

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Moolah!

Raging Poodle! wrote:
TheAngel wrote:
maybe there are no practical applications.  CONNECT THAT!!!  
   I'd like to believe there are.

Logic dictates there are.

Nothing in nature evolves without a purpose that's ultimately related to survival.

I'm sure at one point synaestesia saved someone's skin. Or more likely, synaesthetes would move into the picture once the tribe was in too deep shit and the elders couldn't come up with a solution...

Or another possibility is that in all likelihood earliest shamans were synaesthetes themselves since you can see how some synaesthetic experiences can easily overlap with shamanistic practises.

[FONT color=#00bfbf]A great example occurred to me yesterday to illustrate my point. I think it's the perfect example:[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bfbf]Think of the concept of "[FONT color=#ff0000]danger[/FONT]".[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bfbf]Back when people were using more of their senses, I bet they could also [FONT color=#007f40]smell,[/FONT] [FONT color=#007f40]taste, as well as feel[/FONT] danger.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bfbf]Ask any synaesthete, they can tell you what danger smells like. And almost everyone knows what it feels like. [/FONT][FONT color=#00bfbf]It's such a distinct impression that one can not confuse it with anything else. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bfbf]And I guess this is as practical as it can get. :)[/FONT]

[FONT color=#00bfbf][/FONT]

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

tenkani

[span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;"]Dr Ray Stantz:[/span] Listen! Do you smell something?  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TheAngel

Makes you question just how many senses you actually have?  

Moolah!

All this discussion, plus some of the stuff happening in email led to the opening of a new pathway of perception today.

tenkani

Raging Poodle, on a completely different subject do you collect exotic mushrooms as a hobby?  

TheAngel

Raging Poodle! wrote:
TheAngel wrote:
I see the mods are busy handlejacking us on DV.  
 [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#033d3d"]I'm not sure if they're mods that're doing the handlejacking. With EED around, one would think they'd have their hands full...[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]Ok, on with the synaesthesia discussion:[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]I don't know if this'd be considered another example of synaesthesia but [/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]- I get into euphoric moods when I listen to New Age pieces.[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]- also, some of my best paintings were done accompanied by inspirational music, and sometimes by good techno (though I'm not a big techno fan unless it's VERY good as I rarely ever listen to it)[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]One side note on New Age music: I think some of them are "channelled" just like you can tell how most of the popular songs of 60s and 70s were written under the influence of pot you can also tell which songs are channelled...  [/font][font color="#000000"]There're a lot of themes pertaining to majestic beauty and happiness in them, and that gets me high.[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"][font color="#000000"]Also speaking of feeling high: One of my fave classes at the university was ASC (altered states of consciousness) during which one inevitably comes across with accounts of people's LSD experiences.[/font][/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [font color="#000000"]Personally I've never done drugs, but guess what... [img onclick="smile(this.src)" src="http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/evilgrin0029.gif"]

[/font]

[br style="color: rgb(96, 0, 191); font-weight: bold;"][span style="color: rgb(96, 0, 191); font-weight: bold;"]I get it now!!!!!!![/span]

[font color="#7f007f"][/font]

Moolah!

tenkani wrote:
Raging Poodle, on a completely different subject do you collect exotic mushrooms as a hobby?  
   [FONT color=#0000bf]Ha ha, sneaky. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf][/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]What you're asking is not a different subject, it's completely related because most of what I've been bringing up is related to shamanistic perception, and that's probably how you made the connection. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]As I mentioned I've had nothing to do with drugs of any sort in my life. I neither use them nor collect them. I don't even know much about them. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]However when I read descriptions of people's drug experiences, I think I can emulate their perceptions. [/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]I'm also somewhat familiar with people's experiences with mescaline. I had no difficulty understanding when I read Carlos Castenada.[/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]Although the author never mentions drugs, I believe most of what's described in The Celestine Prophecy are at least partially inspired by drug experiences. [/FONT]

tenkani

Mushrooms aren't drugs!
They're just...mushrooms!!!     :)

Moolah!

TheAngel wrote:
 [P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]what about[SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(127,127,0)"] [SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]negative[/SPAN][/SPAN][SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(128,192,255)"] [/SPAN]& [SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(0,128,255); BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)"]positive [/SPAN][SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)"]energy? [/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]if i step into an empty room where people just [SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]had a fight or were sad[/SPAN], but i had no knowledge of prior events of what took place in the room, i can usually feel the negative/unpleasant energy all around and tell something wrong happened.  it's definitely permeable.  [SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"][/SPAN][/SPAN][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]however, if i step into an empty room where people had been smiling and laughing, the room will [SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)"]"feel pleasant" with airy & positive energy.[/SPAN][/SPAN][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"][BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"][SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; COLOR: rgb(64,160,255)"]
[/SPAN] Associating air quality with emotions. Is this a form of synaesthesia then? Perhaps it is.

There seems to be a fine line between intuitive perception and synaesthesia. Or perhaps synaesthesia is a form of intuitive perception.

I think viewing it as a subcategory of intuition would be the best approach.

TheAngel

It is difficult to ascertain between the two, sometimes.

This becomes a problem when you are already a highly intuitive person.

Russ

<enters thread and looks around trying to figure out what is going on>

hi!

<leaves even more confused then before>
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

wishuponastar

Let me know if anyone agrees with this ^ ? Or if it's just me!!! k thx

Of course #5 is Brown.

Because #1 is White
#2 is Yellow
#3 is Red
#4 is Green

So you get to 5, and it's Brown.

Silly.

[br style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"][span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"]actually,

#1 is white
#2 is red
#3 is green
#4 is yellow

& 5 is brown.

doofus :D
[/span]

|