Synaesthesia

Started by Moolah!, Feb 08 07 01:32

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Moolah!

In 3 words it means "cross sensory perception".

I didn't even know that there was a word to describe the experience until someone pointed it out to me 3-4 years ago. (Until then I always assumed everyone could do what I did in my day to day living.)

Apparently it's considered a "rare" form of perception, and that you either have it or you don't.

Some of the scientific articles I read mention that the ability runs in families, so it's considered genetic. Personally I have some disputes with that above claim, but I don't want to turn this into a lengthy intro. (I'd like to believe it can be taught, but I'm not sure...)

Where do you stand on this? Do you know what I'm talking about? Do you have synaesthesia?

*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

P.C.

Coloured hearing.  Yes I know what you're talking about.  I've always been fascinated with this 'affliction'.

There's a thread in here somewhere on this.  (or maybe it was DV)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Does cross sensory perception tie in with NLP practices?  

P.C.

I don't know what that means,purelife.

People with synasthesia hear certain tones when their brain processes a colour.  Some people also have it in reverse.  They see specific colours relating to specific tones.

It seems like it might be rather nice.

Moolah!

P.C. wrote:
 Coloured hearing.  Yes I know what you're talking about.  I've always been fascinated with this 'affliction'.

There's a thread in here somewhere on this.  (or maybe it was DV)[/DIV]
 Yes, there's been a recent mention of synaesthesia on DV, because I brought it up. You can't discuss this topic with any sincerity over there though.

And despite the hundreds of hits my threads received, as far as I know only one person came forward and mentioned that she had it.

But then, the aformentioned person uses 98 different aliases so it felt like I had a lot of company.

TheAngel

I don't know if this makes any sense, but yes, I do have that, I think.

For example,

I've always associated the number #5 with the letter R and the colour Brown.

Let me know if anyone agrees with this ^ ? Or if it's just me!!! k thx

Moolah!

PC, there're dozens of forms of synaesthesia so don't get caught up in that one single form (ie. "colored hearing") that is way overplayed by the media.

They don't know any better, so they get fixated on that... (which makes me really roll up my eyes)

If I showed you a picture of a flower, can you tell me what it sounds like?

If I gave you an abstract concept, can you tell me what its texture is like?

What does DS sound like? How does it smell? And taste?

Do eggplants sing? Can tomatoes dance?  

P.C.

[HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1]   [DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"] PC, there're dozens of forms of synaesthesia so don't get caught up in that one single form (ie. "colored hearing") that is way overplayed by the media.

They don't know any better, so they get fixated on that... (which makes me really roll up my eyes)

If I showed you a picture of a flower, can you tell me what it sounds like?

If I gave you an abstract concept, can you tell me what its texture is like?

What does DS sound like? How does it smell? And taste?

Do eggplants sing? Can tomatoes dance?[/DIV]

I'm sure there is Raging Poodle.  The thread that I was referring to on synasthesia was one I started in here BECAUSE I wanted to know more about it......not because I knew all about it.  (did a search, can't find it)

I used the term coloured hearing, because it's the simplest description.

If you showed ME a flower could I tell you what it sounds like?  No, but studies show that people with synasthesia can... AND there is a common thread amongst those who do.  That the sounds they hear are the same as each others.  I learned of synaesthesia about 20 years ago, but have heard very little of it since.  OMNI magazine had a really good article on it, but I'm sure research has come a long way since.  I'd love to hear more..........in blue.

Moolah!

TheAngel wrote:

Of course #5 is Brown.

Because #1 is White

#2 is Yellow

#3 is Red

#4 is Green

So you get to 5, and it's Brown.

Silly.

TheAngel

I'm sure there is Raging Poodle.  The thread that I was referring to on synasthesia was one I started in here BECAUSE I wanted to know more about it......not because I knew all about it.  (did a search, can't find it) [p style="font-style: italic;"]I used the term coloured hearing, because it's the simplest description.[/p] [p style="font-style: italic;"]If you showed ME a flower could I tell you what it sounds like?  No, but studies show that people with synasthesia can... AND [span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 64);"]there is a common thread amongst those who do.  That the sounds they hear are the same as each others. [/span] I learned of synaesthesia about 20 years ago, but have heard very little of it since.  OMNI magazine had a really good article on it, but I'm sure research has come a long way since.  I'd love to hear more..........in blue.[/p]
That "sounds" amazing, P.C.  I would like to see more examples of this.  :)

TheAngel

Raging Poodle! wrote:
TheAngel wrote:

[div style="font-style: italic;"]Of course #5 is Brown.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Because #1 is White[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]#2 is Yellow[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]#3 is Red [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]#4 is Green[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]So you get to 5, and it's Brown.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] Silly. [img style="font-style: italic;" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/1.gif[/img]

Oh, I didn't know about that.  Come to think of it, Brown itself has 5 letters.  Heehee :)

Moolah!

More synaesthesia humor:

Try smelling 0 ("zero") and see what comes up. [img onmousedown=travesmilie(this.src); height=29 src="http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-031.gif" width=17]

TheAngel

0 is Grayish, Black

& smelling like "coldness"

P.C.

I smell nothing.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/d030.gif[/img]

Moolah!

TheAngel wrote:

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]That "sounds" amazing, P.C.  I would like to see more examples of this.  :)[/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][FONT color=#00bf60]I was about to point out the same. There's a website where they took an informal survey asking all sorts of questions like "what shape is a year?" or "a day?" and "What sound does Windows make?" etc. and most people agreed on the same shape, sound, smell etc. [/FONT][/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][FONT color=#00bf60]Can't find that site now... but it exists. [/FONT][/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][/SPAN]

|