The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

Just wondering how long I takes rhubarb to work  :(
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Hi SD!  Gosh, I thought you were living in Van.  How come you're in Montreal?  Sleep deprivation sucks for sure.

I love extra crunchy peanut butter on toasted flax macks bread.  yum!

Gopher

So do I.

Off for my monthly blood test today, only two buses and one train to get there  >:( :(

Natasha

Can you say anything you want to you say as long it contains the phrases "in my opinion" or "in my experience"?

Gopher

Natasha

And I'm serious about it too.

I posted something the other day and the lady is threatening to slap slander charges on me. I admit I didn't say "in my opinion" or "in my experience" so I'm curious now, can a person pretty much say what ever they want as long as one of those phrases is mentioned??

Just an FYI, I'm NOT seeking any actual legal advice, just opinions from others on the subject. Seriously, who goes on a forum like this to seek REAL legal advice lol

Gopher

Sportsdude

Quote from: purelife on Jun 11 14 03:18
Hi SD!  Gosh, I thought you were living in Van.  How come you're in Montreal?  Sleep deprivation sucks for sure.

I love extra crunchy peanut butter on toasted flax macks bread.  yum!

I've been gone since July 1, 2013! In grad school! People want me to move back here though. I have insomnia + missing a bed. It sucks.

Well I survived the wedding. I nearly showed visible tears when my friend walked up the aisle. I was a bridesman or 'bride's attendant.'

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

She's full of shit. You can say virtually anything you want unless it's provably slanderous or an "incitement to riot".

Also, there's a difference between "slander" and "libel" Slander is spoken, libel is written. She probably has no idea what she's babbling about but has learned a few buzzwords. BTW, slander is *very* hard to prove.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html)

"Defamation" is a catch-all term for any statement that hurts someone's reputation. Written defamation is called "libel," and spoken defamation is called "slander." Defamation is not a crime, but it is a "tort" (a civil wrong, rather than a criminal wrong). A person who has been defamed can sue the person who did the defaming. (For in-depth information on defamation claims, check out Nolo's Defamation, Libel & Slander (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-slander-libel) section.)

Defamation law tries to balance competing interests: On the one hand, people should not ruin others' lives by telling lies about them; but on the other hand, people should be able to speak freely without fear of litigation over every insult, disagreement, or mistake. Political and social disagreement is important in a free society, and we obviously don't all share the same opinions or beliefs. For instance, political opponents often reach opposite conclusions from the same facts, and editorial cartoonists often exaggerate facts to make their point.

What the victim must prove to establish that defamation occurred: The law of defamation varies from state to state, but there are some generally accepted rules. If you believe you are have been "defamed," to prove it you usually have to show there's been a statement that is all of the following:

published
false
injurious
unprivileged
She'd have to prove ALL of these things, which is very difficult to do. My advice is to ignore her.

Full article: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-law-made-simple-29718.html)

Quote from: Natasha on Jun 14 14 07:18
And I'm serious about it too.

I posted something the other day and the lady is threatening to slap slander charges on me. I admit I didn't say "in my opinion" or "in my experience" so I'm curious now, can a person pretty much say what ever they want as long as one of those phrases is mentioned??

Just an FYI, I'm NOT seeking any actual legal advice, just opinions from others on the subject. Seriously, who goes on a forum like this to seek REAL legal advice lol
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gopher

purelife

annoying left eye under eye-lid twitching going on all day long

TehBorken

Why did you have to? Did the old one go belly up or...?

Quote from: Gopher on Jun 16 14 08:56
I've had to buy a new camera.

TehBorken

I've heard eating a banana is supposed to stop eye-twitching...something about the potassium in it calming the muscular tics that cause it I think.

Quote from: purelife on Jun 16 14 02:39
annoying left eye under eye-lid twitching going on all day long

Gopher

Quote from: TehBorken on Jun 16 14 03:11
Why did you have to? Did the old one go belly up or...?

The shutter stayed half open, would neither fully open nor close.

Lil Me

Was there a cat that's both alive and dead both in and out of the camera?
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|