The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]If I ever move, I'm buying a flatscreen because I can't lift the fricken tv.[/span]

Yes...they are tons lighter and don't take up half the room for their depth.  The larger ones are a bit awkward, but pretty light.  As a matter of fact, if it wasn't so darned awkward, I'd probably launch it through Future Shop's window.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Thats what we did Isis with my dad when we moved my parents to the island. we got pissed off with carrying this ton of a tv and went and got him a 40 inch plasma... When we gave it to him on the island along with teh other stuff we brought over for him. He got mad and asked for his other tv.

My brother and I never gave him the other tv back.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I think your dad is on to something.  The monstrous old tv that Sawdust had when we met, is still working just fine down in the shop....in spite of being constantly coated in thick layers of wood dust.  That thing just won't quit. (touch wood)  

Sportsdude

Indeed, there's something to be said for the old and forgotten. Call me a Luddite but there are toysand stuff I prefer from a long time ago. Example: old video games and trucks pre-1980 lol
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Indeed, there's something to be said for the old and forgotten. Call me a Luddite but there are toysand stuff I prefer from a long time ago. Example: old video games and trucks pre-1980 lol

Me too SD.  It's not that new stuff isn't amazing and incredible in its capabilities....but it seems to be made only to match the unquenchable thirst of the techno geek....and that's about as long as this stuff lasts.  Long enough to dazzle....and leave you wanting more.  That's it.  And they WILL go out and buy the new improved....in about 6 months.

It's no longer made for the average home consumer....as an appliance to last you years and years.  It's as if they don't have to worry about making it well, because they have created the need for the 'next newest' bit of technowonder.

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Wow LM! Your TV is modern! Your kids must love playing thier game systems on it!  

Lil Me

LOL Russ.  Mine is about the same size (and weight).  From Costco about 5 years ago.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

I will admit.. the next time I buy a new tv, it will be from costco.. for the price and warranty you get.. its almost silly not to.

Sportsdude

Yup. The old stuff lasts forever and its true. lol Gonna drive Big Red no power steering and all (75 Chevy around there) beast.

A girl I work with is a rather famous actress. I had no idea, and clearly I am clueless about these things.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Dont worry SD.. I met some famous actors when I worked at a yacht club and didnt know who they were. They thought I was joking with them and complained about me when they realized I seriously didnt know who they were. I guess I hurt their ego.

Anybody know where I can get cardboard boxes cheap? I need a number of them to pack stuff into.

LM@work

I got mine at UHaul.

But check craiglist in the free column- a lot of people give the used ones away.

JJ

Russ wrote:
Anybody know where I can get cardboard boxes cheap? I need a number of them to pack stuff into.

I like to go to veggie stands and use apple or orange boxes myself.

Russ

Thanks JJ and LM!

I ended up going to a company near me and asking if they had any cardboard boxes I could have. they seemed happy to have me take them. I got about 15 largish boxes. I also checked at the local BCL.. as they usually have lots of boxes.

I did check craigslist LM.. had some but not many as most were already spoken for. Except for some company advertising reusable boxes they would let you use for 3 days for like 100 bucks?

Thanks for the advice!  

JJ

It seems California Requires More Energy-Efficient TVs:

California regulators have adopted the first energy-efficiency standards for televisions in the U.S., a move that will eventually ban power-hungry sets from the state's store shelves.  [P itxtvisited="1" _extended="true"]Wednesday's action by the California Energy Commission could lead the way in a general reform of standards for an industry increasingly focused on wide-view, flat-screen, high-definition sets.

[P itxtvisited="1" _extended="true"]The average plasma TV uses more than three times as much energy as an old cathode-ray tube set. Liquid-crystal display, or LCD, TVs use about 43 percent more energy than tube sets, according to Pacific Gas & Electric Co., the state's biggest utility. LCDs now account for about 90 percent of the 4 million TVs sold in California each year.

[P itxtvisited="1" _extended="true"]Under the rules adopted Wednesday, all new 42-inch TV sets must use less than 183 watts by 2011 and less than 116 watts by 2013.

[P itxtvisited="1" _extended="true"]That is considerably more efficient than flat-screen TVs placed on the market in recent years. A 42-inch Hitachi plasma TV sold in 2007 uses 313 watts, while a 42-inch Sharp Liquid-crystal display, or LCD, TV draws 232 watts, according to the Energy Commission.

[P itxtvisited="1" _extended="true"][A href="http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/california-will-ban-sale-plasma-t363025.html"][/A]

[A href="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575555,00.html"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575555,00.html[/A]

|