The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Went to a memorial service for a dear friend's dad.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

kitten

Did you know him or did you go to lend moral support for your friend?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

For some reason I always find funerals very uplifting.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Would that be because you are not the one that is being remembered?

Russ

Quote from: kitten on Jun 30 14 11:50
Did you know him or did you go to lend moral support for your friend?

My thoughts as well. Kudo's to you. I know when my grandmother passed on, a number of my friends and wives showed up. Made a huge difference to me.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

I did know him, albeit not really well.
But I had interacted with him over the course of 12+ years.
He's also my neighbour.

I was asked to speak at the service, so I kept my comments fairly short.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

We have to remember that everyone is our neighbour.

Natasha

>:(  I hate dealing with my kids father!!!   We just have to hang in there for another two years *sigh*

Lil Me

I don't have nuthin interesting to say.

kitten

But even that is interesting.

I also have nothing interesting to say.  Since I have been pretty much housebound my life has been a round of nurses'  visits and people that are supposed to prepare meals for me but don't seem to know how to heat a can of soup and make a basic sandwich.  So I wind up showing them how to use a can opener (electric) and butter a slice of bread.  They are basically a nuisance foisted on me by Home Health in the name of assistance.  I tried to explain that the help required was just the heavy housework, and eventually I have hopes that my message will get through to the Home Health powers- that- be that provide in-home assistance.

I do wish I could get out and go to the library.  I desperately want some science fiction to take me away from this staring at the walls.  Escaping the apartment for even a little while would be wonderful.  I've been home long enough for several of my favourite authors to put out some good reading.  I think by now I would even welcome some mediocre reading to pass the time.  Perhaps with a little searching I could find some diamonds in the rough!  The only drawback is that I would be standing for a period of time, and I'm not sure I would be able to do it.

I hope to hear from the wonderful people I've met on this site.

Natasha

Quote from: kitten on Jul 04 14 11:52
But even that is interesting.

I also have nothing interesting to say.  Since I have been pretty much housebound my life has been a round of nurses'  visits and people that are supposed to prepare meals for me but don't seem to know how to heat a can of soup and make a basic sandwich.  So I wind up showing them how to use a can opener (electric) and butter a slice of bread.  They are basically a nuisance foisted on me by Home Health in the name of assistance.  I tried to explain that the help required was just the heavy housework, and eventually I have hopes that my message will get through to the Home Health powers- that- be that provide in-home assistance.

I hope to hear from the wonderful people I've met on this site.

I hate to say this but (IMO) the only way you'll be taken seriously and have your needs met is if you threaten to take your money elsewhere and/or threaten to report the company for not giving you adequent assistance. It seems mean but if you dot make a stand and almost become a nuisance yourself, they will not make you a priority and give you what you deserve. I used to work for a company that offered similar services. I came across many recipients who genuinely needed assistance and called requesting it. The creatures in the office would talk nice and reassure the recipient that a proper aide was being looked for. When the call ends.... The phones are hung up.... The creatures in the office complain that YOU are the problem, YOURE just picky, no one can get along with you. Then they makes "notes" of your difficult behavior to use against you later.... just in case a legal matter arises.
I really do hope the company your tied to is better at accommodating your needs and I hope they care about their recipients more than the company I worked for. Stay strong.  Good luck!!

kitten

The problem is that it is supplied by a branch of the government for poor seniors.  I can't afford private insurance even if I could qualify.  Due to having an incurable condition I wouldn't be able to get it in any case.  There isn't exactly a line-up of insurers willing to accept me, no matter whether it is public or private.  I have to take what I can get.  At least some help is better than none, and I don't want to go to the hospital as long as I am minimally functioning.  I can also keep my cats.  Although I do have eventual homes for them, they will keep me as their "mom" for as long as I can manage.  Animals keep me distracted from the full extent of the pain.  When I have to give them up I know it will be the end of a meaningful life at home.

Lil Me

Do you live in Vancouver, kitten?  It looks like the VPL has home delivery service:
http://www.vpl.ca/library/details/outreach_services (http://www.vpl.ca/library/details/outreach_services)

kitten

No, I live in Burnaby.  I think they bring a truck around once a month to this complex.  They used to when I first moved in, but I'm not too sure they still do.  In 1997 I saw a Library Van in the parking lot with people clustered around it, but the service may have been cut off by now with budget restraints in effect.  The books had to be pre-ordered the previous month and there was a limit on the number of books you could order.  I think it was three per person. 

Gopher

I do wish I could help you out on this, Kitten.

|