Potholes on the road?

Started by Lise, Feb 05 07 04:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Is it just me or are there more potholes and cracks on the roads these days? Anyone know what causes a pothole? (OK, I could google it but I'm lazy)

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

concrete buckles and stretches in the cold hence creating pkcets and the road breaks.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

We were driving around Surrey and noticed that the roads there are TERRBLE.  There were many many potholes.  

I'm guessing that the teens smoked out of those. ;)

Lise

I guess since we're were having such a bad winter that it could allude to more potholes on the road? Interesting.

Modify: It hurts our cars bad everytime we go over one. Sometimes you can't avoid them. The City needs to work faster in order to fix those potholes.    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

they'll get to them when the weather gets better probably in a month or two.  You've guys have had a bad winter.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

yea, potholes are expected every winter. they cant really fix them until it warms up a bit.

49er

water expands when frozen.......water sips into crack and crevices in the road and gets frozen when temperature goes down

Lise

So we'll be forever trying to patch up potholes for the rest of our lives? Hm. Gotta be an easier to fix these damn things quickly and not all the time. Grrrr.
Bill Cosby.

49er

many cities have preventive programs for their roads, sealing visible cracks and applying a slurry seal on road surfaces in the summer months

Lise

Great! Does this apply to Burnaby? Because I sure see a lot of them cracks on the roads this year. Harsh on my car. I can just imagine the damange it will cost in the long run.

How about salt? Does it contribute to the cracks as well? (sorry if I sound ignoramus here)
Bill Cosby.

49er

no salt doesn't do any damage.  Its the water....its seeps in between the layers of asphalt or into the base and causes delamination