Sony's extended warranty: RIP OFF

Started by TehBorken, Feb 02 07 04:21

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Sony's extended warranty is a rip-off         [/h3] Alice from the Wonderland Blog bought a Sony laptop last year and sprang for an extra $300 worth of "home service" warranty. The first time it broke down (faulty hard-drive, plus Sony "forgot" to install the Bluetooth module) the service tech put it back together wrong and now it doesn't work. Sony says she's had her quota of service calls, so she's out of luck. The moral: don't buy Sony, and don't trust their warranties. [blockquote]Long story short: Sony sent out an engineer who replaced the parts, but didn't put my machine back together properly, and now won't send out someone again because I've had my quota of home visits. Yep, even though their work was shoddy, and even though I paid an extra 300 bucks for an extended policy. I also had to bribe the engineer to let me keep my dead HD, because otherwise Sony's policy is to keep it (and all the data!) - because a customer shouldn't get a replacement drive for free [/blockquote]  [font style="font-weight: bold;" size="4"][a href="http://www.wonderlandblog.com/wonderland/2007/02/the_joys_of_dea.html"]Link[/a][/font]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Hmmm...That's interesting.  I've always wondered if anyone ever got any benefit from buying the extended warranties on anything.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 Hmmm...That's interesting.  I've always wondered if anyone ever got any benefit from buying the extended warranties on anything.  [/DIV]
 Yes my second laptop had a plethora of problems due to defects.. I had it fixed MANY times.. I even bought extended warranty.. then went overseas. When I came back I found out that the warranty extension had been rejected.. when I tried to get the recurring problem fixed again for I had misswritten the serial number and warranty extension rejected.

I highly recommend extended warranties, replacement warranties are the best. I have used them a few times.

Even if you dont end up using it... what would happen if you did? Especially on electronic equipment? The first time my laptop was fixed with parts and labour it came out to be 1300.. on a 2200 laptop. the second time.. 1200 on the same.

All for an extra 250 bucks...
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Most warranties are useless. Some sales representative get commision on warranties believe it or not. I always say no to them. It's a gamble in the end.    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I never get them either Lise.....and probably never will.  I watched a program once on Extended Warranties, and the research demonstrated that they were EXTREMELY profitable for the companies and far less so for the consumer.  They also excuse companies from replacing faulty products that SHOULD be replaced, and not just repaired.  Places like Future Shop make more commission on selling an extended warranty than on the product.

I've yet to have any success with a regular warranty.  Either the thing breaks down 2 days after it expires, or "THAT isn't covered by the warranty"
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.