What now?

Started by FIRED!, Feb 01 07 07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

FIRED!

You'd think I'd be used to getting shit-canned by now.  
It seems, ever since I lost my 10 year job in 2004, I haven't been able to find a job that fits since. I've had about 5 jobs between my 1st firing in 2004 & now.
The closest I came was this last job, which I only got because my best friend hired me. He even extended my Probation period to 10 months, when he saw that I was struggling, but in the end, we both decided that it just wasn't working out & he "suggested" I tender my resignation & I did so & was out the door before lunchtime today.
   It's getting near impossible to ignore the signs here, that whatever the problem is, is internal (me) I had just started seeing a shrink about a month ago, which - now that I think about it...my company knew that I was seeking help...I wonder, can a company legally fire you if/when you are undergoing psychiatric care?  That could be a legal issue.
But back to the main point & that is, I am obviously unable to hold a job & the temptation is to go on long term disability, so what is involved in getting the ball rolling on that?

Lise

If you're seeking help for your mental wellfare, I do not think the company can fire you. You would have to do something reckless like possibly endanger your life or the lives of your co-worker in order to be fired.

That you're getting some kind of help is the first step. It's going to be a long, drawn-out process so keep strong, chin up and be strong. You can do it!

I do not know enough to help you with your disability claim there, sorry about that. Perhaps you can contact the Employment Insurance to see if you can get some payment from the government. It's not going to be easy though.

All the best for you and good luck.

This article might help[FONT size=1] (or might not):[/FONT] [A href="http://fibromyalgia.ncf.ca/cpphowto.htm"]http://fibromyalgia.ncf.ca/cpphowto.htm[/A]  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

But back to the main point & that is, I am obviously unable to hold a job & the temptation is to go on long term disability, so what is involved in getting the ball rolling on that?

If you had a job for 10 years, I wouldn't write yourself off yet as being unemployable.  Not every job is a good fit.  Don't give in and don't give up.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c014.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

FIRED!

To give a clearer picture of what set off the whole thing. I was asked via email by my boss yesterday, whether I had completed a task & I replied with the following:

I'm sorry Rob, but I just haven't been able to get around to it.
My day is GO from the second I step in at 8:00, straight through till I
leave.
I haven't even been able to THINK about my CENSORED files 4 this month, let
alone
I was supposed to put together a renewal Proposal for Tom to go in with
to CENSORED for CENSORED
for Feb. Other people seem to be able to read papers & go on all kinds of
breraks, I get NO support whatsoever,
just more & more work piled on me, & people constantly complaining like
spoiled little brats.
I'm sorry if I blew a gasket here, but I just wanted to convey how SWAMPED
I am & I need help.

Regards.

BILL

when I was 1st called into the office this morning, my boss/friend cited this very letter, saying I was way out of line & from there he suggested I resign.
Perhaps I was a little emotional, but do you think it constitutes getting fired? I mean, no 3 strikes & your out, or anything - just...GONE

Gopher

It's the lack of support you're getting that's bothing me. I just hope that your letter will bring some good response. I was in a similar position years and years ago when, after working for the same firm for three years and getting more and more swamped despite protestations of being unable to keep up with an ever increasing overload, I just simply walked out. I still look on it as one of the best decisions of my life, even though it was the highest paid job I'd ever had. The lack of concern shown by my 'superiors' was incredible (far too intent on protecting their own backs than to notice what was going on around them). Although I left after only three years, I still worked at tit longer than anyone else who was doing the same thing. Very often it's the management rather than the worker who's at fault. I hope it all works out for you - somehow or other.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

FIRED!

Thank you all for your wise & kind words of encouragement. :)
You sure are an intelligent bunch of people!
I'll be sure to keep you updated as to my progress.

Peace!

P.C.

Good luck FIRED.  Here's to hoping the next time you update us, you'll sign yourself HIRED. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c014.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.