Canadians not buying 'green' cars apparently

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 01 07 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Now to be fair fuel economy ranks 2nd on the list.  But come on the environmental impact should be higher then 2% consideration.  For example I like Honda's mainly not only are they cool looking in my opinion but they are low emission and ultra low emission vehicles.  Besides the hybrids Toyotas are not.

Plus now Honda is coming out with a 4cyc and a 6cyc diesel engine that is cleaner then a regular gas engine. Amazing, well thats honda.  I got inside info that the super clean diesel is going into the CRV and I believe the Civic and Accord eventually and the Ridgeline.

What do you look in a vehicle?

Mine is that its small, maxiumizes its space, fuel economy, and environmental impact.
Perfect example of this criteria would be the Honda Fit for me.  All the seats fold flat into the floor creating one giant cargo space to haul things.  Its got very good fuel economy and its an low emissions car. bingo!

[a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070131.wauto31/BNStory/Business/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070131.wauto31/BNStory/Business/home[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

It seems to be the consensus amongst my friends and others that I know, that if you see a Redheaded chick in a green saturn.. run like the dickens, jump off bridges if you have to. They are nutball crazy.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Is that an attempt at satire Russ?

Maybe...

...sports should worry about his own country first!?!! just a thought?

P.C.

Thie conclusion of this survey makes no sense.  Fuel economy is second on the list.  Is that not considered as environmentally friendly?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

well you can have an high economy car and it not be environmental in turn of emissions.  I think people get confused about hybrids.  Its not really about gas mileage its about carbon emissions. The lesser the better hence why hybrids are 'green' cars.

Hybrids = less emissions aka CO2 into the atmosphere reducing green house gases.

P.C.

There are a ton of people out there who are environmentally conscious.....a HUGE percentage of those people buy what they can afford.  I SO would have gone for the Honda Insight......it was plain and simply out of my snack bracket.

More people need more green to go green.

Sportsdude

yeah I can't believe you said the insight was 35k ish here they were 18-22k tops.

P.C.

That was the base price.  The Matrix wasn't a whole lot less, but enough less to stay within my budget  and throw in a few bells and whistles.

Sportsdude

Yup matrix here starts at 16ish goes up to 22ish.  I like that Honda Fit though, its totally me.  

P.C.

Well, that's less than $10,000 than they are here.  BIG difference.

Sportsdude

US Price for Toyota Matrix:
[span class="text_bold"]Base Price
$15,880-$18,190  USD

Canadian Price for the same car:
$17,200-$24,958 CAD

17,200 CAD = [/span][font size="+1"]14,581 USD
24,958 CAD = [/font]21,158 USD

So if you got the completely fully loaded one you paid a little more then the American customer. BUT when I went to the toyota canada website to get numbers Canada still gets this model we don't get anymore so maybe thats why the price is different.

But if you got the bare bones Matrix you'd have gotten it cheaper in Canada then the US.
[font size="+1"]
[/font][span class="text_bold"]
[/span]  

Russ

The cars are produced more and priced for various demographic regions.. thats why a truck in lower bc might be 5 k more than in upper bc. same with the states to canada, the demographics are totally different, look at minivans.. hugely popular in canada, not as much percentage wise of the population in the states.

That wasnt a satire attempt SD. That was what a few of us have decided after a few occurances amongst us. Seriously two different nutball redheads that drive green saturns both having nutball issues. Stay away, thats my serious advice.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Hey, did you hear about a tax exemption for hybrid cars for like $2,000? It was just on the news.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

lol I'm not a fan of saturns even if they bring the cool looking Opel's over here and rebadge them with the ugly saturn logo.