Blood for Sextuplets

Started by P.C., Jan 31 07 06:59

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I'm wondering how many of you could imagine being a doctor, and having to face the dilemma of not being able to help a life because of religious beliefs.  Especially when the lives you're trying to save are reliant on someone elses decision.  What would your decision be if you were the doctor?  I'm prety certain I could not stand idly by and let a life slip away when there is some certainty I could save it.

I'm thinking all this seems rather odd.  If the couple that gave birth to these little miracles had to receive artificial aide in order to conceive these babies.....how is it then not OK to receive artificail aide to ensure they live.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Pretty tough issues there, PC. If I was a doctor, I would do everything within my power to save the sextuplets. Even if it means stepping over the parents' belief. If it is within my means to save lives, I would do it in a heartbeat. Or fight to have it done. I couldn't just sit and not do anything especially when it comes to the lives of innocent babies.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I'd have called them out as hypocrites for using meds to get pregnant in the first place and say not to have a blood transfusion?! oh the nerve.  Then again I'm not a doctor.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Me too Lise.  I'm probably not the best person to make these kinds of calls.....but I think any religious beliefs should take a back seat to life.  Although I am not a religious person.....I still view it as if I WERE.....I would see it as a 'god slap' to over ride the godly decision of life or death.  

P.C.

I don't think it's about 'meds'.  I think it is specifically about blood.

Sportsdude

Yup thats how bob marley died. They found a tumor on his big toe and doctors said they'd remove the toe and the cancer would be gone but he said it was against his religion to remove a part of the body so the cancer spread and he died from a contusion on the big toe from a cut, that grew and got infected, developed a tumor and killed him.  Religion should not get in the way of health.    

Sportsdude

Either way its still silly.  When I played football we would play this Christian Scientist school who do not believe in modern medicine at all.  So when are star linebacker tackled and broke their running backs arm I watched in horror what they did to the poor kid.  They just yanked his arm in place and put him in a sling for a couple minutes and then sent him back out on the field. His arm was completely motionless the rest of the game.  Felt really sorry for the guy.  

Raver

P.C. wrote:
...but I think any religious beliefs should take a back seat to life

Not to single you out P.C., but I just wanted to make a point and this is a handy quote.

JW's believe that when you die, there is nothing.  Then when judgement day arrives, the faithful are resurrected to live forever in Paradise (like the Garden of Eden).  The unfaithful are resurrected, judged and then destroyed. 

Taking in blood is a mortal sin to them and by allowing their children to live a few more years now, they may be sacrificing eternity, (assuming that their beliefs could be correct).

To go one step further, remember Terry Schivo?  It was the religious nutballs keeping her alive.  By all accounts, she was not even a religious person, when she was able to conciously be one.

Personally, I'm not sure what I would have done if I was the doctor in either case. 

P.C.

I appreciate the insight, Raver.   I'm a little short on knowlege when it comes to religious matters.  
I'm sure their decisions make sense to them.  

I know for certain, that if I were the doctor, I would have to be restrained before I could stand there and watch a baby die if it didn't have to.

Sportsdude

well the point of a doctor is to save people right? So I'd have disregarded the religious jargon no matter what they say.  If its for the good of the baby/person so be it.  

Lise

You made a good point there, Raver but I still feel the parents are wrong in their belief not to accept blood in order to save lives. I still don't see the point of denying this chance to your own children. It's as good as 'killing' them when you say no to any treatment.

Still...... I'm wasn't there when they made their decision so I don't know. Perhaps one shouldn't pass judgement when you're not there to hear their story. It's just so hard because I'm a parent and I would do anything, literally ANYTHING, if it means extending my child's life.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I think that's somewhat my view too Lise.  It IS the same as 'killing'.  And there isn't a religion around that could convince me that it's more godly to do this, and  send them to an early grave so they can party down for all of eternity than it is to revere the life you were given in the first place.

Lise

You're right, PC. I doubt God would have wanted you to end your child's life simply because it's a faster or 'right' way to get into Heaven. We should appreciate what is given to us now, what God has given us and not what other people claim stop you from doing so.

I feel sorry for the parents though. They have to live with this decision for the rest of their lives. The sad part is they probably think they did the right thing in the eyes of their Church and God. A real pity.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I feel sorry for any poor soul that hasn't figured out that the Golden Rule covers all goodness and doesn't need a faith to make it the most valuable lesson of all.

You've never heard of wars and killings in the name of the Golden Rule.....well have you?

Lise

P.C. wrote:
You've never heard of wars and killings in the name of the Golden Rule.....well have you?[/DIV]
     Are you asking me? I admit, I don't know what the Golden Rule is.
Bill Cosby.