What they don't show you in magazines

Started by Sportsdude, Jan 30 07 07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://bonehead.oddballs.com/NobodyElse.html" target="_blank"]http://bonehead.oddballs.com/NobodyElse.html[/a]

wow.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Pretty cool SD.. Ive read about this but havent seen it shown before.

Isnt this the chick from the 'girl next door' movie?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I LOVE the whole concept of the Dove movement towards 'non-conventional beauty'.  I'd like to see more companies move in this direction.  I actually switched products, JUST because I like the stand they're taking.  It will alleviate the pressure on young girls, to not feel the need to live up to unrealistic standards that advertising has set for them.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

I've used Dove for ages.  It was nice to see them come out with this campaign.  It should help a lot of people, young and old, feel better about themselves instead of trying for some impossible ideal.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Russ

Arent they doing the same thing with models in France and Italy PC? Disallowing stick thin girls and making them more of a 'normal' size?

I have heard something about this dove thing..  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Hi Russ

I don't know, but I'd love to hear more.  I cringe at the standards we are setting for young girls.  When you hear of 4, 5 and 6 year olds worrying that they are FAT....when they clearly are NOT you have to wonder what we're doing to them.  And those that ARE a little over weight, are probably products of their mother's  inablility to feel any degree of comfort in todays  'standard of beauty'.  Too much emphasis on such a narrow margin of so called beauty.

kitten

The crack-down on skinny models started in Spain, as far as I know.  The have to be a certain weight or they aren't allowed to model.  I think you're right that France and Italy are going in the same direction now.  It's about time.  Starvation isn't beautiful.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

kingy

she was pretty good looking before she got photoshopped.

TehBorken

kingy wrote:
she was pretty good looking before she got photoshopped.

I could swear I posted this a while ago...

Personally I think she looked kind of rough before all the makeup and photoshopping.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Personally I think she looked kind of rough before all the makeup and photoshopping.

I hear what you're saying.  I don't feel so much that she looked rough......so much as I thought she looked plain.  But isn't that all a part of the 'conditioning' we've had over the last several years?  ONE standard....for ALL women, that ALL women try to mold themselves into, regardless of what their 'basics' are.  

Sportsdude

I use dove and I love this campaign, we've become to materialistic driven.  I think the only celebrity I've seen show what they look like going through the make up process is Oprah.  I wish people could just be themselves and not try to live up to something they aren't nor can't be.  Even the models don't look like that in real life.  We're all being played here when it comes to supposed beauty I think.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Marik

hahaha, we saw this video in photography class awhile ago. Someone in the back yelled, "She's ugly! Why don't they take a hot girl and make her hotter?? That's what I would do!!"  

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I hear what you're saying.  I don't feel so much that she looked [strong style="font-style: italic;"]rough[/b]......so much as I thought she looked [strong style="font-style: italic;"]plain[/b].  But isn't that all a part of the 'conditioning' we've had over the last several years?

Yes, you're right.  The conditioning that society has had foisted on it has led to unrealistic expectations and some very warped ideas of "beauty". To be honest, I liked her better plain than all fixed up.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

[A href="http://www.anvari.org/cols/Child_Artists/Stars_Without_Makeup_B.html"][img style="BORDER-RIGHT: black 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: black 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: black 1px solid" height=696 alt="Stars Without Makeup B" src="http://www.anvari.org/db/cols/Child_Artists/Stars_Without_Makeup_B.jpg" width=433][/A].