Pickton Trial.. pretty much admits it in the initial interogation.

Started by Russ, Jan 26 07 09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

[DIV class=storyheader] [H2][A href="http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6bba45e0-9a55-43c2-a70e-3ac69ee0843a&k=27288"]http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6bba45e0-9a55-43c2-a70e-3ac69ee0843a&k=27288[/A][/H2] [H2] [/H2] [H2]Pickton tells officer he was 'sloppy'[/H2] [H4]Left blood at his farm[/H4]

[DIV class=feed_details] [H4]Lori Culbert and Neal Hall, CanWest News Service[/H4][SPAN]Published: Friday, January 26, 2007[/SPAN]

[A href="http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=6bba45e0-9a55-43c2-a70e-3ac69ee0843a&k=27288"][/A]

NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. - Robert (Willie) Pickton admitted he became sloppy and that police would find human blood on his property  - but stopped short of making a confession during an intense 11-hour police interrogation videotape, which the jury in his first-degree murder trial finished watching Thursday.

Insp. Don Adam, then head of the Missing Women's Task Force, asked Pickton near the end of the interrogation in 2002 how many "different women's blood" searchers could find in the motorhome on his property.

"I'd say two, probably two, maybe three," Pickton said in a calm voice.

Later, when Adam complained that Pickton hadn't given him any information during the interrogation, a confident Pickton said: "...I already told you how many's in the trailer.  Probably maybe up to as high as three in that, in the motorhome."

"All right," Adam said.

"That was as far as we got," Pickton said.

"Right," Adam said.

"Possibly," Pickton added.

The interrogation took place one day after Pickton's Feb. 22, 2002 arrest for killing missing women Sereena Abotsway and Mona Wilson. The jury started watching the videotape on Tuesday and it concluded Thursday.

Pickton is being tried for the deaths of six women who disappeared from the Downtown Eastside.  He has pleaded not guilty.

When the interrogation began just after 10 a.m. on Feb. 23, 2002, Pickton was largely non-responsive and avoided answering questions; but near the end he laughed loudly, put his feet on the desk in the interview room and spoke confidently with police.

Adam asked Pickton whether it was fantasy or anger that drove him to kill, and asked Pickton whether he "no longer sort of really viewed these girls as being worth anything?"

"But, uh, no, no.  That's not. I had one more planned, but that was - that was the end of it.  That was the last.  I was gonna shut it down," Pickton said. "I was just sloppy, just the last one."

"You were gonna do one more?" Adam asked.

"...That was the end of it. That's why I got sloppy....," Pickton said.

Adam, who was a staff sergeant at the time of the interview,  asked Pickton why he didn't get rid of the evidence - clean up the blood, burn a blood-soaked mattress in the motorhome and throw out women's identification found on his property.

"Willie, you didn't do a good job of cleaning up the girls' blood. Like, you got to agree with me.  I mean - ," said Adam.

"That's right. I was sloppy," Pickton said.

Later, Adam said: "Like, why didn't you just drag that mattress that you, where killed, ah, Mona?  Why didn't you just drag it out and burn it?  I mean, that would have been - ,"

"I don't - " Pickton said.

"Did you not realize there was blood underneath it?  Like, you know what I'm saying, eh? Like if you'd a burnt it, Willie.  Just sloppy," Adam asked.

"Sloppy, like I just told you," Pickton said, lounging in his chair and looking at Adam.

"Let me ask you a question: They talk about people keeping trophies - ," Adam said.

"No."

"So when you kept the women's ID in your place, that was just - ," Adam said.

"No."

" - again, sloppy?"

"Yeah," Pickton said.

"Jesus, Willie, you must be kicking yourself, like - ," Adam said.

"I know," Pickton said.

Justice James Williams has told the jury that it is Pickton's answers, not the questions of the police officers, that should be considered evidence during the interrogation. Williams said it was also up to the jurors to determine whether Pickton was telling the truth on the tape.

In his brief opening statement Monday, Pickton's defence lawyer Peter Ritchie urged jurors to watch for Pickton's intelligence and sophistication while being questioned by the trained police officers.

The interrogation was conducted long before police found human remains on the Port Coquitlam, B.C., pig farm. Therefore, Pickton was not questioned about those gruesome discoveries.

Pickton appeared wily near the end of the interrogation, trying to negotiate with Adam: If police stopped searching his beloved 15-acre farm, he said he would "admitted to everything."

Adam said he wouldn't negotiate with the accused, but wanted to know what he was prepared to admit. However, Pickton would not be specific.

"I'm talking about everything on my behalf," an elusive Pickton said, adding he wouldn't say any more because he didn't have a lawyer with him.

A cocky Pickton interrupted Adam several times during the interview, telling him to "think it over" and get back to him on his offer. When Adam declined, Pickton asked to speak to his boss.

A flustered Adam said he was the boss.

Pickton told Adam that there were others involved in the killings, but then insisted he was the "head honcho." He would not elaborate on either point, prompting Adam to complain:
"You're having fun playing cat and mouse with me here, Willie."

Adam asked Pickton, "When did you get her (Wilson) out there?" and tried to guess the date of her disappearance. Pickton just toyed with the seasoned interrogator, telling Adam  he was "close."

Then in response to a question from Adam, Pickton said Wilson was still alive when he used a dildo attached to a .22 handgun on her - but he adamantly denied killing her. (The dildo and gun were found in Pickton's trailer, bearing his and her DNA.)

Several family members in the courtroom looked pained as they watched Pickton belt out several guttural laughs and refuse to give police any information that could answer questions about the missing women's whereabouts.

"...The families of these people, the families of these girls - ," Adam said.

"That's not my comment, that's not my problem," Pickton said.

"But they're not - ," Adam said.

"Shit happens," Pickton said.

Adam asked Pickton how he would feel if his niece or nephew were missing.

"They're at the wrong place at the right time, what else can I say?" Pickton answered bluntly.
Earlier in the interrogation, Adam said he could tie 12 victims to Pickton by the evidence that police had found so far on the farm and asked him how many women he recognized on a large poster bearing photos of 48 missing women.

"How many could you reach out and touch?" Adam asked.

"I can touch them all," Pickton said, pointing at the poster.

"No, but I mean that, that you killed?" Adam asked.

"You make me more of a mass murderer than I am," Pickton said.

Adam tried to appeal to Pickton's ego, telling him he completely stumped police for years, making them look like fools.

"And they're going to take a lot of heat for that, Willie, for why they didn't catch Willie Pickton quicker. You led them on a merry chase for years," Adam said. "You made the police look stupid. There you sat right under their noses, every few months killing a girl, and they didn't have a clue... You may well be the most successful serial killer in the North American continent."

Pickton did not respond.

The trial won't sit today in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster but will resume Monday.

Pickton, 57, is charged with 26 murder charges. His first trial will focus on the deaths of six women: Abotsway, Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Brenda Ann Wolfe, Georgina Faith Papin and Marnie Frey.

A second trial on 20 charges is expected to be held next year.

He has pleaded not guilty to all counts.

nhallpng.canwest.com, lculbertpng.canwest.com

Vancouver Sun

[H6 class=copyright]© CanWest News Service 2007[/H6]
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Yep, if that isn't a confession, I dunno what is.

Kinda creeped out by this guy...... he deserves the death penalty for what he did. Alas we don't have that luxury here. Can only hope the families of the victims can find some closure after all this.

I still can't believe someone made a tasteless movie outta this already.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

fletcher

One creepy guy.  Although I don't think he was always alone when he murdered these women.  To think it is costing $110,000 to prosecute this disgusting human.

Not a movie I would go to and not a true crime book I would read either.  

Lise

I hear ya, fletcher. I can't believe it's our taxpayers money that goes into this trial as well. It's incredible but he's not guilty till proven. *sigh*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Raver

I can't believe how many monsters our corner of the world produces.

In the northwest, including the Vanouver area, we've had Clifford Olsen, The Green River Killer, the Abbotsford Killer, Ted Bundy, Willie Pickton.  Wasn't that beltway sniper guy from Washington as well?  Bellingham I think it was....

Must be something in the rain

Sportsdude

its the rain.  Some people can't handle the rain.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I don't understand why we are paying millions to prosecute this guy.  What a waste.

Guilty....over.

I was so ticked off with the CTV news coverage a couple days ago with that Stevie Cameron that I wrote them a letter.  Why are they having such a low brow give her OPINIONS about this case.  That's not news.  She belongs on Jerry Springer.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Lets face it this court case is just going to be a cricus.  

Russ

I dont even know who stevie cameron is.

While I think its a waste, hopefully this case will show alot of our justice systems shortcomings and start to correct them and streamline it.. no more of this touchy feely garbage from lawyers giving graces to criminals.

They had to take the time for this, as they only get one shot with our retarded criminal system. they also want to get as many charges to stick or they will never have all the missing girl cases 'solved' or accounted for.  

P.C.

She's writing a book, Russ.  She has all the authenticity of sentimentality as Sylvia Brown.

My letter to CTV.....She ACTUALLY SAID...."THIS IS A WONDERFULL STORY'!

re: tonight's news (January 23, 2007)  CTV 9 Vancouver

Just a note to express my distaste at a woman who views the Pickton case as
nothing more than fodder for her next novel.  How Stevie Cameron can speak
aloud on national television that "This is just a wonderful story", with the
same inflection and body language that one would use if they were speaking
of a mother cat who nurtured some stray puppies, is beyond me.  I was
repulsed by her obvious glee over this 'story'.  I'm sure the families of
these women do not share her view that 'this is just a wonderful story' and
I feel sick over the possibility of them hearing these views expressed on
your program.

She needs to stop talking about this as nothing more than 'a story'.  It's
NOT just a story.  It's reality.  We are talking about real live women with
real live families that were brutally murdered.   Her opinion of this
'wonderful story' DOES NOT BELONG ON THE NEWS.

I will have to tune out should this reporter (?).....author, continue to
spew her titillation over this case, on your program.  Perhaps she could
take her story to some of the more appropriate talk shows that would relish
in her spin.

Thanks (forgive my rant, but I'm fuming!)

Gopher

fletcher wrote:
 Not a movie I would go to and not a true crime book I would read either.  

[FONT color=#0000bf]................[/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf][/FONT]

[FONT color=#0000bf]They're probably making the merchandise right now.[/FONT]

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

[a href="http://steviecameron.com/"]http://steviecameron.com/[/a]

Raver

Russ

PC~

no need to feel sorry for stating your views on something you feel strongly about

thanks for the link. I agree,  shes retarded...

EDIT: hit enter too fast

But thats where 'to each his own' come into play. some people will be interested some people wont. I am sure that will be a big selling book because there are alot of people interested now in the case. If its a good book, alot of poeple will read it      

P.C.

If they're going to cover this trial over the next year, let's cut the opinion/speculation part, and just report the 'highlights' (for lack of a better word.....and REPORT being the operative word)

She just has such an unsavoury schmarmy way about her that doesn't belong on the news.