Welcome to a world without friction

Started by TehBorken, Jan 18 07 05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Lol, this is terrible. Welcome to a world without friction. Some great home video of an icy intersection in Portland. Crunch, bump, wham. Lather, rinse, repeat.

[a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPE8vL5hlFA"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPE8vL5hlFA[/a]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Ya know.....I've looked at that clip numerous times, and it sounds like the guy is giving it gas after the first couple hits.  Does anyone else think this or is it just my imagination.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Hmmm they knew this was coming so where are the chains?  I've been in those situations before on the interstate there's nothing you can do but just hold on.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Future Canadian

Portland is so full of idiots in the snow and ice, you'd think they'd never encountered slick conditions before. Funny for a city with a lot of rain.
I drive my kid to school through that intersection. It is a lot steeper than it looks on TV. That second-to-last car came to rest around the light rail tracks - fool could've been clobbered by a train! That's what I don't get, all these idiots were one block away from the one transportation option that kept going without a hitch all day! But maybe since were talking about the rich side of town, they don't want to ride with all the common riff-raff.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Lise

Why doesn't the city salt these streets?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

So what do you think ?  Is that first guy givin' er ?  It sure sounds like it.

Sportsdude

Future Canadian wrote:
Portland is so full of idiots in the snow and ice, you'd think they'd never encountered slick conditions before. Funny for a city with a lot of rain.
I drive my kid to school through that intersection. It is a lot steeper than it looks on TV. That second-to-last car came to rest around the light rail tracks - fool could've been clobbered by a train! That's what I don't get, all these idiots were [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]one block away[/SPAN] from the one transportation option that kept going without a hitch all day! But maybe since were talking about the rich side of town, they don't want to ride with all the common riff-raff.

I know the feeling.  Whenever there's a giant rain storm or snow storm, I look over on the the highway and the rich people with their precious lexuses and bmw's are parked under the over passes so they don't get there precious little environmental monster hurt.  Meanwhile I keep driving in a focus fine through the rain/snow/ice while they're slipping and sliding around.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

P.C. wrote:
So what do you think ?  Is that first guy givin' er ?  It sure sounds like it.[/DIV]
   Maybe he's drunk or after insurance money.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

yep, sounds like he was gassing it, but he was probably trying to drive his way out of the situation. he wouldnt of been able to turn like that if he wasnt gassing it. you wouldnt really just sit there and slide without giving it some gas.

of course, it could of been a she and not a he.

P.C.

Good point kingy.  I was just visualizing hubby in that situation.  He would have been so P O'd, that after the first crunch or two, he would have lost it.....lol