Can I get fired for this?

Started by mick, Mar 03 06 11:41

Previous topic - Next topic

mick

I am going to tell my boss that my in laws have got into a very bad car accident and I have to go to calgary for the next week or so, I will tell him that they have a young daughter that I have to take care of in case they dont make it, and they pass away, I have to take care of everything, I know that he is a nice guy and he will understand, but can I get fired for doing this, I been working here for 6 months, can he say no you cant go if you do you will be fired?

kitten

If he finds out, you certainly will.  You never know when a lie will jump up and smack you in the face.  Smeone could make an idle comment in his hearing, and out you go with a black mark on your resume.  Is it worth losing a job over?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lisa Maree

[P class=MarginalNote]I am assuming you live in BC.

[P class=MarginalNote]From the BC EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS ACT:

[H4 class=MarginalNote]Family responsibility leave[/H4][P class=IndentLevel1]52 An employee is entitled to up to 5 days of unpaid leave during each employment year to meet responsibilities related to

[P class=IndentLevel2](a) the care, health or education of a child in the employee's care, or

[P class=IndentLevel2](b) the care or health of any other member of the employee's immediate family.

[P class=IndentLevel1]"immediate family" means

[P class=IndentLevel2](a) the spouse, child, parent, guardian, sibling, grandchild or grandparent of an employee, and

[P class=IndentLevel2](b) any person who lives with an employee as a member of the employee's family;

[P class=IndentLevel2]I would suggest you give Employment Standards a ring at 1 800 663-3316 (toll-free in British Columbia) as ask them if this provision would extend to your in-laws.  If it does, you can't be fired for taking the time off.

Lisa Maree

Oh, I read the original post as being the real scenario, not just some excuse to get out of working.  Did this really happen?

mick

he wont find out because he just wont, and plus it is worth it, I trying out another job that is supposed to pay huge commisions, but I want to try the new job out for a couple of weeks because if it sucks and is not what its made to be then I will still have my good job. So my ? was can I get fired for asking and taking the time off? obiviuosly if he finds out im gone!

Lisa Maree

Sorry, I don't believe you should tell your employer that someone might die to get a week off.  You will get busted.

mick

TehBorken

mick wrote:
how wili i get busted

Does it really matter?

BTW, the answer to your original question (can I get fired for this) is "absolutely".
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Schadenfreude

Tell him you need 2 weeks leave of absence, for personal reasons, but at only 6 months into a job your boss is entitled to say no.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

mick

are you sure he can say no, i dont think he will say no anyway he is nice and the company is decent and everyone does this, but if you can give me some proof that he can say no, then i will have to re think my strategies.

TehBorken

mick wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]are you sure he can say no, i dont think he will say no anyway he is nice and the company is decent and everyone does this, but if you can give me some proof that he can say no, then i will have to re think my strategies.[/div]
Remind me never to hire you.

mick

i would never work for your stupid ass any way, yank!

kitten

How interesting!  He's a cheat and he's nasty.............why wouldn't you want to hire him, TehBorken????
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

TehBorken

mick wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]i would never work for your stupid ass any way, yank![/div]Wrong-o. You're working for me right now, you just don't realize it.

TehBorken

kitten wrote:
How interesting!  He's a cheat and he's nasty.............why wouldn't you want to hire him, TehBorken????

Yes, clearly the ideal employee. Lies and cheats, and then gets huffy when people don't cheer him on. It would be worth hiring him just to fire him, lol.