Dracula's Castle for sale

Started by Lise, Jan 13 07 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Creepy. What would I want with Dracula's castle? Not for all the money in the world.

Dracula castle up for sale
[FONT size=1][FONT color=#999999]By ALISON MUTLER[/FONT]
[/FONT]

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — The Habsburg family wants to sell a Transylvanian castle famous for its connections to the 15th century medieval ruler who inspired "Dracula," a lawyer said Wednesday.

The local council has expressed interest in the property, but the family wants to put the bite on them for the equivalent of C$91.5 million, which a government minister says is way overpriced.

"I have nothing against the castle being bought by the city council if they are stupid enough to pay this money," Culture Minister Adrian Iorgulescu said, figuring the castle is worth about 25 per cent of the asking price price.

Dominic Habsburg, the owner, insisted the family had honourable intentions.

"We are trying to find the best way to preserve the castle in the interest of the family and the people of Bran," Habsburg said in a statement made available exclusively to The Associated Press.

The castle was returned to Habsburg, a New York architect, on May 26, decades after it was confiscated by the communists from Habsburg's mother, Princess Ileana, in 1948, the year the royals were forced to leave the country.

After the restitution, concerns were raised that the family could sell castle to a hotel chain and that the site could end up being the centrepiece of a Dracula theme park that would blight the surrounding, pristine countryside.

The castle, perched high on a rock and surrounded by snowcapped mountains in southern Transylvania, is one of Romania's top tourist attractions and is visited by 400,000 people each year.

Faced with the enormous expense of the castle's upkeep, Habsburg said he wanted to place the property in the hands of the local council with an eye toward ensuring its historic character is preserved.

"The family has the country and the people in their heart. We are grateful for the restitution as a moral act to amend injustice," the statement from Habsburg said.

But he added, "The way of life cannot be returned and the restitution has come with financial sacrifice. ... We would like Castle Bran to remain a symbol of everything that is honourable and good in Romania."

The community of Bran, where the fortress was built in the 14th century to help stave off invasion, gave it to Ileana's mother, Queen Marie, in 1920 to thank her for her efforts in unifying the country. It was briefly associated with Prince "Vlad the Impaler," whose cruelty inspired novelist Bram Stoker's creation, the vampire Count Dracula. History says he spent one night there.

In 1938, Ileana inherited the castle, which is located some 170 kilometres north of Bucharest.

In recent years, the castle — complete with occasional glimpses of bats floating around its ramparts in the twilight — has attracted movie makers as a backdrop for films about Dracula and other spooky themes.

Lia Trandafir, an attorney for Habsburg, said the local authorities are interested in buying it. "They'd like to see it coming back to the community and they consider it a central pillar of tourism in Brasov county," she said.

Aristotel Cancescu, head of the local city council is due to travel to Vienna, Austria, on Monday to open discussions about a bank loan. If he manages to secure a loan, it will need to be approved by local councillors.

[A href="http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/01/10/3277637-ap.html"][FONT size=1]http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/01/10/3277637-ap.html[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

ripper

If only walls could talk. I'm sure they'd tell quite a tale. Just to be sure, i'd keep a couple of wooden stakes nearby.  

P.C.

Now THAT I'd buy.  It's beautiful and in a beautiful setting.  I could handle being a princess.

Would I get my own stamp though????

[A title="Next Picture - Dracula's Info Gallery" href="http://www.draculas.info/gallery/picture_of_dracula_stamp_ii-86/"][img alt="Dracula Stamp" src="http://www.draculas.info/_img/gallery/dracula_stamp_85.jpg"][/A]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Thats one thing North America is lacking. Castles! Where are my castles! Wooden mansions are so ugly.  

Lise

That Craidoraggah (spelling, I can never spell it right) Castle in Victoria is downright creepy. I remember my hairs standing when I bypass the servants quarters.

Some castles are magnificent structures especially in Europe. Lovely. We don't get pretty ones like that here. But I wouldn't wanna sleep in one.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I've got a picture of Hatley Castle in as my background.
Granted thats not a real real castle but its pretty close in my opinion.

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
 I dunno I'd buy it.

[/DIV]
   Dont know if I would wnat it. Where would I put my projects? I think the garages on this would suck.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

Don't worry about the garages, they're in the vaults.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

I see.. so I would be lured into the vaults with promises of lots of room.. then the ghosts of lise's would lock me in? Cool! Ill take it!

Gopher

Thought you'd come round!
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kingy

91.5 million for that? would dracula come to my house warming party?

Lise

91.5 million could buy you a lot of other things, eh, kingy. For Russ, it'll be goats upon goats upon goats. Then he'd set himself up to be emperor of them all. *nasty laugh*

Russ, if I was a ghost, you wouldn't be safe in your bedroom...... bhahahahahaha......
Bill Cosby.

Russ

LOL, 91 million could get me a decent sized boat too.

Im not safe in bedroom anyhow :)

Sportsdude

91 million then I'm going to have to pass, if I had that much money I'd have better uses for it then to buy some castle.