What's in a name?

Started by Lise, Jan 12 07 03:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

So a woman taking a man's surname after she gets married is no big deal but it's a different story if the man takes his wife's surname? What a stupid system.

[FONT size=4]Man files suit to ease process of taking wife's name[/FONT]

[FONT size=1][FONT color=#999999]By GREG RISLING[/FONT]
[/FONT]

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mike Buday isn't married to his last name. In fact, he and his fiancee decided before they wed that he would take hers.

But Buday was stunned to learn that he couldn't simply become Mike Bijon when they married in 2005.

As in most other states, that would require some bureaucratic paperwork well beyond what a woman must go through to change her name when marrying.

Instead of completing the expensive, time-consuming process, Buday and his wife, Diana Bijon, enlisted the American Civil Liberties Union and filed a discrimination lawsuit against the state of California. They claim the difficulty faced by a husband seeking to change his name violates the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

"Diana and I feel strongly about gender equality for both men and women," Buday said. "I think the most important thing in all of this is to bring it to a new level of awareness."

Mark Rosenbaum, legal director of the ACLU in Southern California, said it is the first federal lawsuit of its kind in the country. "It's the perfect marriage application for the 17th century," Rosenbaum said. "It belongs in the same trash can as dowries."

Only six states — Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, New York and North Dakota — have statutes establishing equal name-change processes for men and women when they marry. In California and other states, men cannot choose a different last name while filing a marriage license.

In California, a man who wants to take his wife's name must file a petition, pay more than $300, place a public notice for weeks in a local newspaper and then appear before a judge.

Because of Buday's case, a California state lawmaker has introduced a bill to put a space on the marriage license for either spouse to change names.

The Census Bureau does not keep figures on how many U.S. men are taking their brides' names. But clearly it happening more and more. Milwaukee County, Wis., Clerk Mark Ryan estimated that one in every 100 grooms there now takes the name of his wife.

Bijon, 28, approached Buday about the idea when they were dating. She had no brothers but wanted to prolong the family name. Buday, a 29-year-old developer of interactive advertising, was estranged from his own father and was not attached to his own last name.

"I knew immediately it was pretty important to her or else she wouldn't have brought it up," Buday said.

At one point, the couple tried the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a name change. But Buday said he was told by a woman behind the counter: "Men just don't do that type of thing."

Couples who want to hyphenate or combine their names also must endure the lengthy court procedures in California. One of the more notable examples was Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who went to court to fuse his last name, Villar, with his wife's, Raigosa, when they married in 1987.

Laws giving women an easy choice of names were largely a byproduct of the feminist movement. A 2004 Harvard University study found that the number of college-educated women who kept their surnames upon marriage rose from about 3 percent in 1975 to nearly 20 percent in 2001.

[A href="http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/01/12/3321772-ap.html"][FONT size=1]http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2007/01/12/3321772-ap.html[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Did you change your last name Lise?

I will for sure change mine to my husbands.  I really don't want to be associated to my current last name.  I don't even care if people look at me strange.

Russ

Why would people look at you strange for changing to your husbands last name? That was all the norm at one point.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Oh no, not that Russ.  Sorry for the confusion.

People look at me strange because my married last name isn't an asian last name.  It's pretty prejudicial.

Sportsdude

hmm whats in a name is so true.  When I get married my kids will have there moms name as a middle name so it would be kids name kids middle name wife's last name my last name.  Therefore they know where they come from etc.  I'm kinda caught up on names though even though I probably shouldn't be since if I don't have a boy my last name dies.  So my entire life has been this quest to keep my family heritage alive somehow.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Ally

I hated my maiden name.  Perhaps because I have a poor relationship with my father.

I changed my name the week after I was married!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

purelife

I am on you with that one Ally.  I'm not keeping my maiden name.  It can be destroyed.  My brother can carry it on.  I don't care to hyphenate it either.  

Sportsdude

I wish my cousins didn't have my name they're a mess if there ever was one but hey its there life I'm not going to try to fix it don't need the stress.

But really I think its just a name doesn't really mean anything what really matters is whats inside that counts and not the book covering.

Russ

Sportsdude wrote:
I wish my cousins didn't have my name they're a mess if there ever was one but hey its there life I'm not going to try to fix it don't need the stress.

But really I think its just a name doesn't really mean anything what really matters is whats inside that counts and not the book covering.

I was just posting to ask if any other male members of your family had your last name to carry it on...

So there is?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

I kept my maiden name. It was easier to spell than his. Plus you won't believe how much airport security looks at you if you had his name.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

That makes sense Lise.  I would do the same if I were in your shoes.

P.C.

I'm so old fashioned about such things.  I took Mr. P.C.'s last name.  Hyphenated names drive me bonkers.......I always think, MAKE A CHOICE.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Ally

he he.  I love my name now though.  I have a "non-white" name now and I get a kick out of it when people look at my ID and then at me.  It's like they can't figure it out!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:
I was just posting to ask if any other male members of your family had your last name to carry it on... [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] So there is?

I have another cousin whose about 5 years older then me he's married but my family is so fracturous last time I saw that cousin was his sisters wedding 4 years ago and before that my uncles ordination which was 3 years before that and my grandpa's funeral which was 10 years ago.  So I've only seen them 3 or 4 times in my life its pretty sad.

Then my crazy messed up cousins who are my age had kids. The one a year younger then me had a boy but kept the dead beat (he's a druggie who steals stuff) dad's last name instead of calling him our name (wrong move on her part).

There's 12 of us left in the world.
I think of it as the Daniel Day Lewis movie "Last of the Mohicans"

Gopher

Lise wrote:
 I kept my maiden name. It was easier to spell than his. Plus you won't believe how much airport security looks at you if you had his name.

......[FONT color=#0000bf]Lise bin Laden?[/FONT]

A fool's paradise is better than none.