Amazing Randi rocks!

Started by TehBorken, Jan 12 07 07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Amazing Randi's $1,000,000 Whacko Challenge         [/h3]Wired has a good piece about the Amazing Randi's Million Dollar Challenge -- the million bucks he'll give to any psychic, goofball, or psychic who can prove the existence of the paranormal. [blockquote] A Nevada man legally named "The Prophet Yahweh" planned to seize the prize for charity by summoning two spaceships to a Las Vegas park last year, but negotiations broke down when he announced he was bringing several armed guards to the demonstration in case any "negative personalities" showed up.

An inventor who claimed to have built a device that could sense the psychic distress of an egg about to be dropped into a pot of boiling water recently abandoned his application when the foundation suggested the egg be threatened by a hammer instead, in case the invention was really just detecting steam. [br clear="all"] [/blockquote]  [a  href="http://www.wired.com/news/technology/1,72482-0.html"]Link[/a]      
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Thats brilliant!

Itll bring out all the crackpots like its already doing.. and getting them to prove it, will ensure hours and hours of hilarious entertainment for all of us...    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

That is just sweet!!!! LOL.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Ally

I'm posting to try and hit 200 posts.  I'm wondering if my status will change.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Ally

Only 3 more posts.  Anyone else ever done this?
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Ally

Okay I'm a loser.  Only 2 more posts.  I wonder what will happen?

Ally

Here goes!  I hope nobody reads this.

Ally

Nothing happened.  Drats.

Lise

Hehe. Keep on trying, Ally. No wonder you're around so much this time. Usually you're not.  I'll award you bless point for trying.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

I did as well Lise, just cause, lol. Wow, I just noticed I gots me over two thousand posts.. kinda scary.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

next level up would be 250.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Moolah!

As commendable as it is that he's trying to expose all the quacks and fraudsters, and of course he ends up dealing with all the nutcases in the process, he's got too many friggin' rules.

Rules after rules after rules... and they're only getting worse.

Frankly, I don't know what the solution is to scientifically proving the existence of the paranormal - but perhaps offering a big sum of money is not the solution.

No self respecting individual would want to put up with him, his insults, and his friggin' rules.

Simply because:

- it's in the interest of those with true paranormal skills to keep mum about them. The less people know even about the existence of such skills, the more such people can utilize and take advantage of their "secret edge" [/DIV]

- anyone with paranormal skills (and half a brain) would first and foremost use their skills to better their lives, instead of wasting their time and energy showcasing them and subjecting themselves to unnecessary abuse,

- and anyone with paranormal skills (and half a brain) would also know how to attain that million bucks without trying to pry it out of Randi.  
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

Lise

Russ wrote:
I did as well Lise, just cause, lol. Wow, I just noticed I gots me over two thousand posts.. kinda scary.[/DIV]
     Dude. That's nothing. I got twice more than you. Which means I don't have a life.........................
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

oh no lise you have a life a wonderful life. :)  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."