Laptop recommendations?

Started by Russ, Jan 11 07 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Getting another laptop.. just curious if anyone has any suggestions as what to get. This one will primarily be used for emailing, internet, and possibly some minor gaming and Movie watching.

I normally walk into Future Shop and look around, talk to a few of the guys, and buy.

Just want some more advice if anyone has any... I have had a few before so kinda know what to get.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

I was planning on getting a laptop as well.  I have heard that the Toshiba brands are excellent on the Intel Centrino platform.  (whatever that means)  I would get warranty on top of what Future Shop covers to be on the safe side.

Russ

I agree, the last two laptops I have had have been toshiba's. The first had power connection and screen hinge issues, both were covered under warranty then it ran out and the power conn broke again :(

Second one hasnt had any problems yet, but I did get a five year warranty on it.. its a factory warranty bought through Future shop for Toshiba.. its not a Future Shop warranty.

I am leaning towards another Toshiba for RSS... but am curious of anyone elses opinions.

TehBorken

Russ wrote:
Getting another laptop.. just curious if anyone has any suggestions as what to get.

I've been very happy with my HP DV2xxx series machine. I don't know if they're still in production but you can often pick up the HP refurbs units from Fryes for a song. I got mine for ~$700 and it's loaded to the gills.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

TehBorken wrote:
Russ wrote:
 Getting another laptop.. just curious if anyone has any suggestions as what to get.

I've been very happy with my HP DV2xxx series machine. I don't know if they're still in production but you can often pick up the HP refurbs units from Fryes for a song. I got mine for ~$700 and it's loaded to the gills.
[/DIV]

Ive been hearing this as well, you can get a good HP for cheap, just refurbished.. I forgot about that.. Thanks TB, Ill give it a boo tomorrow night.

kingy

i love the sony vaio but ive heard really good things about toshiba's.

ibook?

Orca

Mac is always good.

FYI the ibook batteries got [A href="http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05179.html"]recalled[/A], just like Dell.

[A href="http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05179.html"][/A]

Lise

Uhm. We got ours from Dell. Straight from their website. No middleman so supposedly, cheaper than the ones you see in the store.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I've got an IBM Thinkpad (now lenova IBM doesn't make computers anymore) and my dad's got a widescreen Toshiba (even though he never uses it).  Both work great (although I'm getting a new hard drive installed the old one went capeesh on me).  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kingy

lise...

[A href="http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/12/dell-suit.html"]http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/01/12/dell-suit.html[/A]

A Toronto law firm has started a class action suit against Dell Canada, seeking compensation for problems with five versions of the computer company's Inspiron notebooks.

The claim, disclosed Friday by Rochon Genova LLP, alleges that Dell "was negligent in the design of the notebooks," so the computers are susceptible to overheating and premature failure of the motherboard.

The failures "often occur just outside of the standard one-year warranty period," the lawyers said in a release.

A Dell Canada spokeswoman said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Thad Griffin, the proposed representative plaintiff, said in the lawyer's release that the problems could be costly.

"I do not believe that I should be forced to spend hundreds of dollars to fix the defective motherboard when Dell should have known about this problem at the time they initially sold the computer."

Lise

Wow. Is that so, kingy? Hm. I never knew that. We've been happy with Dell so far so no comments on that.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

yeah Lise Dell had a huge battery recall check your laptop if it has a Sony battery it should say sony on the battery then take it in to a Dell Support place and they'll replace the battery for you for free.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Ended up getting another toshiba. It was more bang for the buck with the closest in performance similarities being the HP which was 200 dollars more.

Toshiba A100 something something.

normally 899 + taxes with another 299 for three years warranty. We got a bunch of other things and got it all for a good deal.

We got webcams as well, lol. Those will be fun to play with.. my last one had issues.

purelife

Sounds awesome, Russ.  Did you get it from Future Shop?    

Russ

purelife wrote:
Sounds awesome, Russ.  Did you get it from Future Shop?   Yeah I did miss PL.

PM'd you.