Prenup yes or no

Started by Grrrrrrrrrrr, Jan 08 07 12:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Prenuptial agreement, yes or no, pros and cons, is it working or a lawyer can get rid of it ?

Also, would you feel insulted if your BF/GF asked you to sign a prenup ?

Replyers please specify sex if possible.

purelife

No.  *scratches head*  Could a boob job be in the prenup?  See, I had one done and my fiance just loves my new boobs and I'm like totally totally afraid (for my life actually) that he WANTS them and WANT a part of them!  OMF*ckingGAWD, I'm scared.  Please help!

Oh, P.S.  Only females can have boob jobs for now, right?  

good idea

Prenups are great for someone who has prior assets going into the marriage and should the marriage end they are protected especially if they have family heirlooms (i.e., the Gustav Stickey chair great-uncle left you) or property (i.e., the cottage on Gabriola Island that grandma left you).  They also are good if one has suspect behavior problems and if the marriage ends because of those problems one is protected from the community property split law and alimony to the spouse (i.e., like Nicole Kidman won't have to pay Keith Urban alimony or lose any of her stuff if they split due to him relapsing on his drug and alcohol addiction).  However when children are involved that's a tricky situation so it is best to make sure you have a very good divorce lawyer that explains what is involved and to reassure you and your spouse-to-be it is not something to be insulted or worried about.  

49er

purelife wrote:
No.  *scratches head*  Could a boob job be in the prenup?  See, I had one done and my fiance just loves my new boobs and I'm like totally totally afraid (for my life actually) that he WANTS them and WANT a part of them!  OMF*ckingGAWD, I'm scared.  Please help!

If it was me I'll let you have custody as long as I've visitation rights

TehBorken

Any prenup can be invalidated. Having one is better than not having one, but don't rely upon it to save the day. Suggest it as a way of making sure that no one gets shorted or taken advantage of if a divorce occurrs. But any lawyer can make a good case why it shouldn't be valid and any judge can dismiss it in part or in whole if he or she decides that it "goes against the public good" or is "unfair to the parties as a whole".
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

True TB. I have heard about prenups being overuled. But not always, a prenup is always good for things you have prior. AFTER you are married things should be divided equally.

But thats JMHO.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Personally, I think pre-nups for those who are filthy rich with much to lose if they go through a divorce later on. And I'm thinking of many celebrities these day. (think Paul McCartner and his recent divorce, no pre-nups and really messy process)

I don't think pre-nups for the normal citizens but that's up to the individual's choice. For myself, I would feel pretty darn insulted if my fiancee were to ask for a pre-nup agreement. I'm more liable to think why he's asking in the first place and is marrying me for money or love. That's just me.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

The whole concept of a prenup, sounds like a precaution one would take in the event they weren't prepared to invest fully in the marriage.  I have no interest in taking something that isn't mine, but to enter into a marriage by preparing for it's failure just doesn't seem right.

I would have no problem signing a prenup, for all the things it's supposed to do.  But I would

have a problem marrying someone who felt they needed to protect themselves from me.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you all for your useful replies. Please feel free to post more if any.

ripper

Any guy who is stupid enough to get married without a prenup deserves everything he gets. Which is usually  taken to the cleaners.

P.C.

ripper.....Should a guy sign a prenup if he is marrying a woman with greater assets than him ?

ripper

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]  I see...........Nuff said

ripper

P.C. please let me clarify. What i said about the man protecting himself also applies to the woman.

P.C.

Your clarification has confused me....(although that's not extremely hard to do)     So, you WOULD sign a prenup ?