Pronunciation dilemma

Started by P.C., Jan 04 07 07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I've noticed on the CTV News, there is a reporter named St. John Alexander (I think it's Alexander)

Anyway, they call him Sin Jin (that's my interpretation of how you'd spell it).  I thought it was curious, but interesting (ish)

But tonight there was a news story about some fellow also named St. John Something, and they pronounced HIS name Sin Jin also.

Can anyone shed some light on this ?  This is the only place I have ever heard this version of the name St. John, and it's got me curious now.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

It is common in England to pronounce it in that fashion.  And before you ask, I haven't the faintest idea why, it just is.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

purelife

It's the British accent that makes it sound like "Sin Jin."  I think that I've heard of this before.  

P.C.

Thanks purelife.  But the people who are calling him Sin Jin, aren't British.  Does this make a difference ?  It's on CTV 9....Pamela Martin and Bill Good.  

kitten

It's probably how he pronounces it, so they are copying him.

P.C.

That's what I thought too, Kitten.  What sent that notion out the window, was when they were doing a news story tonight about 'John Doe'  whose name happened to be St. John, they called HIM that TOO.  That's when I became curious about it.

kingy

they were probably so used to saying sinjin instead of st john and misread the teleprompter?

P.C.

kingy.....I thought if anyone was going to have the right answer to this, it would by YOU.  You could certainly be right, (I don't have the luxury of a 'ready answer') but I'm not 100% sold on that one.

P.C.

This was all I could come up with on a google search.

I guess it follows in the same vein as 'An historical' .

What about those with names St. John pronounced Sinjun or St. Clair pronounced Sinclair?
Oliver Crispin, London
I don't speak Old English or Old Scots. Neither does anybody else. It's pretentious upper-class twaddle.
Neil Hoskins, Aylesbury, UK

Jay Wrich

From what I've been told, it's an old British name.  Spelled "St John" but pronounced "Sinjin".   It's not common in the UK, but they've heard of it.

After I heard it on the news, the first time in my life, I kept hearing it again!

I saw it in a Bond film, 007 was undercover and when his name was read aloud they mis-prounounced it Saint John.  He then corrected them in his sultry way, Smithe, 'Sinjin' Smithe.

It was the same name the new priest had such a hard time pronouncing in Four Weddings and a Funeral.  

Schadenfreude

I've noticed SinJin too.

Who would name their kid "Saint"? Or Saint John?

C'mon, That kid would have less trouble in school if his parents had named him Gilligan.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Orca

Hi P.C.

I am a Mac (hehehee) ...

If it is a first name, I would think that it is Sinjin, as St. John is usually lastname.

For example: Sinjin Smith the famous Beach Volleyball player.

or it could be the name like James Bond character (Roger Moore) in View to a Kill, he posed as a person named James St. John Smythe, the St. John there is pronounced as 'sin-jin'

Gopher

Two surname peculiarities:

Featherstonehaugh pronounced Fanshaw

Cholmondeley pronounced Chumly
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Also Worcestershire Sauce was pronounced Woostershire when I was a child.

Sportsdude

I grew up around germans, we've got funny last names.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."