Michigan moves closer to banning Canadian Trash

Started by Sportsdude, Mar 02 06 06:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[DIV class=news][DIV class=story][H1]Michigan moves closer to banning Canadian trash[/H1][SPAN class=byline]Last Updated Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:29:29 EST[/SPAN] [DIV class=text][A href="http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html"]CBC News[/A][/DIV][DIV class=text]Michigan moved closer Wednesday to banning imports of Canadian garbage, but the bill still has to be passed by the U.S. Congress. "With this package signed into law we will be sending a strong message to Washington and to Canada that we are not taking any more Canadian trash," the bill's sponsor, Rep. Dan Acciavatti, said.

[TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 width=220 align=right hspace="4"][TBODY][TR][TD align=middle][img height=280 hspace=3 src="http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/michigan_trash_cp_4944470.jpg" width=220 border=0] [/TD][/TR][TR][TD align=middle][DIV class=caption][FONT face=verdana,arial size=1]About 29 per cent of the trash dumped in Michigan landfills in the last fiscal year came from Canada and other states (CP file photo) [/FONT][/DIV][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]Michigan's state Senate passed the bill, and then the state's House of Representatives followed suit.

The U.S. Department of Environmental Quality says about 29 per cent of the trash dumped in Michigan landfills in the last fiscal year came from Canada and other states.

The bill still has to be signed by the state govenor who supports the bill. As well, U.S. federal legislation authorizing the trash ban is still pending in Congress.

In 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states cannot stop trash from crossing their borders without approval from Congress.

[/DIV][FONT face=Verdana,Arial size=1][/FONT]

[FONT face=Verdana size=1][/FONT]

[FONT face=Verdana size=1][/FONT]

FYI: The Gov. of Michigan was born in Canada.

[/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

perpetual

what the frick?  People in Canada are sending their garbage to Michigan?  We're the second largest country in the world and we don't have room for our own garbage?  I'm confused!  

Sportsdude

Its Toronto. They have no place to put it. And Michigan likes trash.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

From an economic standpoint, I suppose it is a lot cheaper to send the trash to Michigan than to ship it up north.  I still think a way should be found to keep it in Canada.  If the border is closed to Toronto's trash there had better be a contingency plan readily available or there will be a real mess as the politicians try to figure out what they should do.As usual, hindsight will be perfect, blame will be attributed, and people will run around in circles forming committees.  Meanwhile Toronto will have a new tourist attraction........Garbage Mountain.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Witch

CK

Yeah, I always wondered why TO shipped their garbage to Michigan?
Michigan should shut the doors. TO and Ontario can deal with it, poor planning and insight on their part. It shouldn't be the USA's problem.