Started by Lise, Dec 29 06 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

See if you can guess this one.

As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits: kits, cats, sacks and wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

Lise

Yes. One. Only the man is going to St. Ives. This is NO challenge for the king of riddles.

Here's another one.

A man was to be sentenced, and the judge told him, "You may make a statement. If it is true, I'll sentence you to four years in prison. If it is false, I'll sentence you to six years in prison." After the man made his statement, the judge decided to let him go free. What did the man say?

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]

EDIT: I'll be back with the answer tomorrow.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

He didn't make a statement, he asked a question.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

Ah, good one Gopher but that didn't set him free. This is the answer to the riddle, believe it or not. (Roll over with mouse to see answer)

[FONT face=Arial][FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"][FONT color=#ffffff][FONT face="Times New Roman"]He said, "You'll sentence me to six years in prison." If it was true, then the judge would have to make it false by sentencing him to four years. If it was false, then he would have to give him six years, which would make it true. Rather than contradict his own word, the judge set the man free[/FONT].[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Here are some easy ones. These are the ones I got are highlighted in bold. The rest were too tough for me.

1. What row of numbers comes next in this series?  

2. answer given. See my post from before.

3. You have a barrel of oil, and you need to measure out just one gallon. How do you do this if you only have a three-gallon container and a five-gallon container?

4. If your sock drawer has 6 black socks, 4 brown socks, 8 white socks, and 2 tan socks, how many socks would you have to pull out in the dark to be sure you had a matching pair?

5. What is broken every time it's spoken?

6. How did Mark legally marry three women in Michigan, without divorcing any of them, becoming legally separated, or any of them dying?

7. Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?

. What English word retains the same pronunciation, even after you take away four of its five letters?

9. If I say "Everything I tell you is a lie," am I telling you the truth or a lie? [FONT size=1](I took a guess)[/FONT]

10. What work can a painter never quite finish?

11. Why wasn't Bertha put in jail after killing dozens of people?

12. Why wasn't John able to take a photo of his mother with curlers?

13. If there are three cups of sugar and you take one away, how many do you have?

14. What has a mouth but can't chew?

15. How many letters are in the alphabet?

16. What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?

17. What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?

18. Food can help me survive, but water will kill me. What am I?

19. Take away the whole and some still remains. What is it?

20. What stinks when living and smells good when dead?

21. When is it bad luck to meet a white cat?

22. If it has a quart capacity, how many pennies can you put into a empty piggy bank?

Bill Cosby.

Thread Cop

These are some marvelous riddles, You're the best in DS.  A new name for Lise 'Jigsaw'
Alright check me!

1) 1131122211 (not sure)
3) Well, you fill up the 5 gallon container and take out 3 gallons using the 3 gallon container and take pour out a gallon.
13) 2
14) EarthWorm
15) 24

TehBorken

Lise wrote:
Here are some easy ones. These are the ones I got are highlighted in bold. The rest were too tough for me.

5. What is broken every time it's spoken?[/p] [span style="font-weight: normal;"]Silence.[/span]
[/p]
[/p]6. How did Mark legally marry three women in Michigan, without divorcing any of them, becoming legally separated, or any of them dying?[/p]They were co-joined triplets. lol
[/p]

[/p] 7. Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?[/p]7 total. (Mom, Dad, 4 sisters, 1 brother.)[/p]
11. Why wasn't Bertha put in jail after killing dozens of people?
[/p]Bertha was a tornado?
[/p]
[/p]13. If there are three cups of sugar and you take one away, how many do you have?[/p][span style="font-weight: normal;"]ONE, that's what you took away![/span][/p][span style="font-weight: normal;"][/span]
[/p] 14. What has a mouth but can't chew?[/p]A river.[/p][p style="font-weight: bold;"]
[/p] [p style="font-weight: bold;"]15. How many letters are in the alphabet?[/p]11, as I count it. ("teh alphabet")

[/p]
[p style="font-weight: bold;"]21. When is it bad luck to meet a white cat?[/p]When you're a rat or a mouse or a bird.[/p]
[/p] [p style="font-weight: bold;"]22. If it has a quart capacity, how many pennies can you put into a empty piggy bank?[/p]
One, then it won't be empty!!

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Thread Cop wrote:
    These are some marvelous riddles, You're the best in DS.  A new name for Lise 'Jigsaw'
Alright check me!

1) 1131122211 (not sure)

[FONT face=Arial] [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]1113213211 After the first line, each line describes the previous line:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff][/FONT]
[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]One One
Two Ones
One Two, One One
(and so on...)[/FONT]
Well..... close enough. This one hurt my brain most because I couldn't figure out the answer even with the answer given.  

3) Well, you fill up the 5 gallon container and take out 3 gallons using the 3 gallon container and take pour out a gallon.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]Fill the 3-gallon container with oil and pour it into the 5-gallon container. Then fill the 3-gallon container again and use it to fill the 5-gallon container the rest of the way. One gallon will be left in the 3-gallon container.[/FONT]

Remember Die Hard, the series? There was a segment where Bruce Wills and Samuel L. Jackson had to solve this riddle. I think it's the same one.

13) 2

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]You have just one - the one you took away.[/FONT]

Unfortunately, no. TehBorken got the answer.

14) EarthWorm

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]A river.[/FONT]

Good answer but nope.

15) 24

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]Just one - after that it won't be empty.[/FONT]

Wrong but nice try.

Bill Cosby.

Lise

TehBorken wrote:[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]
[/SPAN]  5. What is broken every time it's spoken?

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]Silence.[/SPAN]

[FONT color=#ff0000]Excellent. You got it right!! [/FONT]

6. How did Mark legally marry three women in Michigan, without divorcing any of them, becoming legally separated, or any of them dying?

They were co-joined triplets. lol

[FONT color=#ff4040]LOL. Almost.  The answer:[/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" face=Arial color=#ffffff]It's part of his job - he's a justice of the peace.[/FONT]

7. Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?

7 total. (Mom, Dad, 4 sisters, 1 brother.)

[FONT color=#ff0000]Correct! Right again. [/FONT]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]11. Why wasn't Bertha put in jail after killing dozens of people?
[/SPAN]

Bertha was a tornado?

[FONT color=#ff0000]Close. She was a [/FONT][FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]hurricane.
[/FONT]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"][/SPAN]

13. If there are three cups of sugar and you take one away, how many do you have?

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"]ONE, that's what you took away![/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"][FONT color=#ff0000]Correct again.[/FONT] [/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal"][/SPAN]

14. What has a mouth but can't chew?

A river.

[FONT color=#ff0000]Wow. This guy's on a roll. Yes. The river has a mouth that it can't chew[/FONT].

[P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]

[P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]15. How many letters are in the alphabet?

11, as I count it. ("teh alphabet")

[FONT color=#ff0000]Brilliant. Correct once more. I forgot to include "The". Yes, there are 11 letters.[/FONT]

[P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]21. When is it bad luck to meet a white cat?

When you're a rat or a mouse or a bird.

[FONT color=#ff0000]Correct! It's bad luck when you're a[/FONT] [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]mouse[/FONT].

[P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]22. If it has a quart capacity, how many pennies can you put into a empty piggy bank?

One, then it won't be empty!!

[FONT color=#ff0000]Good job!! You've guessed it[/FONT].

[FONT color=#ff0000]Wow. Congratulations, TehBroken. You're a natural, able to think outside the box.[/FONT]        

Bill Cosby.

Lise

For those interested, the following are the answers to the riddles.

4. If your sock drawer has 6 black socks, 4 brown socks, 8 white socks, and 2 tan socks, how many socks would you have to pull out in the dark to be sure you had a matching pair?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]4. Five. There are only four colors, so five socks guarantee that two will be the same color.[/FONT]

8. What English word retains the same pronunciation, even after you take away four of its five letters?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]8. Queue.[/FONT]

9. If I say "Everything I tell you is a lie," am I telling you the truth or a lie?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]9. A lie. It can't be the truth without contradicting itself (and therefore being a lie), but some of my statements can be lies, and this is one of those statements.[/FONT]

10. What work can a painter never quite finish?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]10. Her autobiography.[/FONT]

12. Why wasn't John able to take a photo of his mother with curlers?

[FONT color=#ffffff]12. You can't use curlers to take photos! You need a camera.[/FONT]

16. What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]16. A towel.[/FONT]

17. What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]17. A stamp.[/FONT]

18. Food can help me survive, but water will kill me. What am I?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]18. Fire.[/FONT]

19. Take away the whole and some still remains. What is it?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]19. The word "wholesome."[/FONT]

20. What stinks when living and smells good when dead?

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffffff]20. Bacon.[/FONT]

Bill Cosby.

Lise

Here's another challenge. See if you can guess the answer:

A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]

Edit: I'll just put the answer here in case I forget to answer.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffdfbf" face=Arial color=#ffdfbf]The remaining 11 toothpicks were arranged to spell the word NINE.[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]  
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Drat! I KNEW that it was something like that, but I couldnt remember.

We did this one in elementary school one year before summer holidays. The teacher enjoyed tormenting us with this I suspect.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Hey, me too! But I can't remember any of the riddles except for the crossing the river one. Here's riddle that's been claimed as the hardest in the world and is known as Einstein's Riddle. I'll post the solution tomorrow.

[FONT face=Arial]Einstein's Riddle[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]The story behind Einstein's riddle is that Albert Einstein created it in the late 1800s, and claimed that 98% of the world population couldn't solve it. I am not sure of the true origin, but I have seen this one floating around the internet, and it is a good brain exercise. Here it is:[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]- In a street there are five houses, painted five different colors.[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]- In each house lives a person of different nationality[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]- These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow" size=5]Einstein's riddle is: Who owns the fish?[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]Necessary clues:[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"]1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.[/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][/FONT]

[FONT face="Arial Narrow"][/FONT]

Bill Cosby.

kitten

I remember this one.  It's the German who owns the fish.  I saw it worked out somewhere but I can't remember when.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.