oil change "scam"?

Started by fletcher, Dec 29 06 02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

fletcher

Thought you all might be interested in knowing that my husband took his car (his baby) to have the oil changed yesterday with one of those $12.99 coupons where you get the oil changed and a new filter.  He was changing the spark plugs today and noticed the oil filter was still dirty.  The car had a new sticker placed on the window like they do when they change it with the new mileage notification as to when to change it again.  He looked at the oil and it was dirty.  So, no oil change, no new filter.  He went back and the guy called it a 'misunderstanding' and that he would get a free oil change next time but he still has to go back tomorrow to have this one done again.  So, a note of warning, always check to see if they actually changed your oil and replaced the filter.  Guy probably just pockets the money and off we go thinking we have clean oil and a new filter.  My husband would not have noticed if he hadn't been foolin' around in the engine.

Russ

I have heard of places just changing the oil and leaving the old filter.

Some of the older cars  when the engine is getting worn will have fresh oil turn dark within an hour of driving.

Im not surprised that this happened, theres alot of questionable places. Jiffy lube and Mr Lube arent the best places, young kids with no experience changing oil so you can get a dealer warranty?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Mechanics are notorious cheaters. Find me an honest one and I'll give you a $100.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Midas, at Willingdon and Dawson.  *holding out my hand*
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

purelife

Agreed.  Mechanics are such scams, not all, but almost all of them.  

You know what's so funny?  Mr Lube's little slogan is "doing it right, before your eyes."  But, when you think of how they change your oil, that certainly isn't quite possible.  Your car is parked overtop and the guy goes in the basement and changes your oil from underneath.  How in the world would you be able to see it?  You'd practically have to follow the guy to the basement to look under your car to really see if he has changed your oil or not.  

If I had the proper tools and such, I'd change my own oil and air filter.  

Russ

kitten wrote:
 Midas, at Willingdon and Dawson.  *holding out my hand*[/DIV]
 Been there as well, they are ok.

and purelife, oil and oil filter, and AIR filter are super easy to change.

purelife

hee hee...yup, that's what I meant to say...honest.  I like to see the air filter dirty for some reason.  It tells me that something is working.  

Lise

Well, kitten.... I'll hold you to your word. If they're as any good as  you say they are, I'll treat you to lunch. *sneaking $100 back into pocket*

How does one do oil change? (without going into too much details)
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

That's okay, Lise, I would have just wasted the money anyway.

*groceries, cat food, a second-hand blanket.......sob*   [img onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/13.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Teasing/13.gif" align=absMiddle]
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Russ

empty bucket

jacket (car jack will do)

wrench to undo the oil pan drain plug (cresent wrench might work)

strap wrench (maybe if its too tight)

gallon of oil probably 10w30 (depending on the mileage on car and if it eats oil)

oil filter

run engine so its hot so the oil flows easily.

jack up car, get under and open oil pan drain plug, drain into bucket (careful hot)

remove old oil filter. take new filter, put a bit of oil on the sealing ring, and screw on.

replace drain plug. remove full bucket and lower car.

fill engine with oil to full line on dipstick. Start engine and watch oil pressure rise/ oil light go out.

let run for five minutes and check for leaks. stop engine and after a minute check oil level, add oil so level is at top of full line.

Fini

make sure you dump the oil down the drain at the end of the block under the cover of darkness, and bury the oil filter deep in the neighbors garden.. dont do it in yours, might kill the plants.

purelife

[span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]make sure you dump the oil down the drain at the end of the block under the cover of darkness, and bury the oil filter deep in the neighbors garden.. dont do it in yours, might kill the plants.[/span]
 [hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]LOL Hilarious!