Personalized Ads

Started by Lise, Dec 28 06 10:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

And before you know it, they'll be targeting our minds while we sleep.

[H3]Microsoft adds behavioural targeting [/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Thu. Dec. 28 2006 8:40 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]Associated Press

[!-- dateline --]NEW YORK[!-- /dateline --] -- Microsoft Corp. has started linking users' search habits with other personal information as it prepares to show more personalized advertisements.

With the use of small data files known as cookies, Microsoft can link information users provide when they sign up for Hotmail email and other services with data on what they view and search for on various Microsoft sites, such as those for maps, Web journals and finance.

Microsoft uses that information to build a profile for a certain class of users -- women over 30 who read financial news, for example -- and sell marketers the opportunity to reach that targeted group as they surf Microsoft properties.

The company joins Yahoo Inc. and other major Internet sites in implementing personalized ads based on Web surfing habits, a practice known as behavioural targeting. Microsoft's spin on the tactic, which brings demographic information together with online behaviour, may make targeting more accurate, said Emily Riley, advertising analyst for JupiterResearch.

Microsoft competes with Yahoo, Google Inc. and countless smaller sites for online advertising dollars. It launched a proprietary online ad system over the summer intended to help close the gap with Google and Yahoo, but saw just 5 percent growth in online advertising revenue in the quarter ended Sept. 30. Meanwhile, Google's focus on contextual ads, or keyword-driven text links that appear next to search results or Gmail messages, has been extremely lucrative.

Microsoft rolled out the behavioural targeting technology in early September, after testing it for about a year. The company said it plans to expand its use around the world, but did not disclose any dates.

Microsoft found that behavioural targeting increased by as much as 76 percent the likelihood a visitor would click on an ad, according to Adam Sohn, a director in the company's Online Services division.

Although critics worry about companies knowing too much about their customers, Microsoft and other proponents of behavioural targeting believe users ultimately benefit when they see only ads relevant to them.

"We think that if we can provide the better experience" -- in advertising as well as content -- "people will spend more time on our network," Sohn said.

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061228/microsoft_behaviour_061228/20061228?hub=SciTech"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061228/microsoft_behaviour_061228/20061228?hub=SciTech[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

I thought they were not allowing companies to do this as it was a virtual invasion of privacy?

Same idea as why credit card companies cant sell your buying habits to advertising companies?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

Well, it's Microsoft. They have a way of getting around things.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

LOL, no they dont have monopolies on anything or own half the state.

Sorry I dont know what you mean.. <giggle>
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kingy

for half a sec, i was hoping this was lise's personal ad!

Lise

kingy wrote:
for half a sec, i was hoping this was lise's personal ad!  

I do have an ad somewhere. Check your pocket.... no, the OTHER pocket.

Bill Cosby.