What’s the Difference: Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise

Started by TehBorken, Dec 23 06 07:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

What's the Difference: Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise
From the book: [a href="http://www.mentalfloss.com/store/product.php?productid=16191&cat=3&page=1"]What's the Difference[/a] by mental_floss

The Dilemma: Two thick white dressings with similar flavor in similar-looking jars are bearing down on you from your refrigerator, and you're asking yourself just one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?[/p] People You Can Impress: deli-goers and anyone killing time in the checkout line.[/p] The Quick Trick: Taste them both side by side. The sweeter one is Miracle Whip.[/p] The Explanation: In 1756, the French under Louis François Armand de Vignerot du Plessis, duc de Richelieu, captured Mahón on the Spanish-held island of Minorca. In honor of this victory, the duc's chef created a new dressing for his master: Mahonnaise. It wasn't until 1905, however, at Richard Hellmann's New York deli, that Americans got to taste the goods. But boy, did it catch on! Within seven years, he'd mass-marketed the condiment as Hellmann's Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise.[/p] To be frank, mayo is one of those love-it-or-hate-it things. The lovers know that, in its most authentic form, mayo's a pretty simple affair: raw egg yolks, oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and spices. Not much room for improvement.[/p] But in 1933, Kraft Foods though differently. Inventor Charles Chapman's patented emulsifying machine allowed regular mayonnaise to be evenly blended with cheaper dressings and more than 20 different spices (plus sugar). The result was Miracle Whip, which debuted at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. Promising to create "Salad Miracles with Miracle Whip Salad Dressing," the Whip was an instant hit (Note: It's not known if the dressing is responsible for any non-salad-related miracles.)[/p] The main difference between Miracle Whip and mayonnaise are the sweeteners: high-fructose corn syrup and sugar are the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively, of Miracle Whip.[/p] And a Word About Grey Poupon: While we're on the subject of condiments, we couldn't resist the opportunity to squeeze in a quick fact about mustard, or more specifically Grey Poupon. While it sounds hoity-toity, the name Grey Poupon isn't so much about the mustard's color as it is the names of two 18th-century big-time mustard firms from Dijon (run by guys cleverly named Maurice Grey and Antoine Poupon). The name can be a bit confusing, and even unappetizing, to French speakers, as [em]poupon[/em] means "newborn baby."[/p]From the book: [a href="http://www.mentalfloss.com/store/product.php?productid=16191&cat=3&page=1"]What's the Difference[/a] by mental_floss

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

I like them both, but each is specific to the type of sandwich.  I prefer mayo on any meat sandwhich....BUT, it's got to be Miracle Whip on egg salad or tuna salad sandwich, for me
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kingy

weird al

Miracle Whip is great

...for me to Poupon!

Lise

I prefer the taste of Hellmans. It's much richer. It's great for spinach dip.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

P.C.

I use to make my own mayo, but I seem to be getting lazy.  It's so darned simple, fast and ultimately yummy.

Lise

How do you make your own mayonaise? Care to share your recipe?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

[FONT face=Arial]Homemade mayo has no preservatives, so should be used within a week....so I usually make it in small batches.  (part of why, with only Mr P.C. and I at home now, that I don't make it so much anymore. Have everything at room temperature, including the bowl of your food processor or blender, with the steel blade at ready, add:[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]2 egg yolks[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]1 whole egg[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]1Tablespoon of French styly mustard (not French's....but a dijon type)[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]fresh ground pepper[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]pinch of salt[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]juice of a fresh lemon[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]Turn on food processor and let run for 10-15 seconds.....while still running, [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]drizzle in 2 cups of veggie oil[/FONT] (you can use olive oil too, but it a stronger and heavier tasting mayo)[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]That's it.......taste when it has emulsified, and add what you think it needs.  More salt....lemon ???? You can also add things like herbs etc.......but not garlic.  Garlic doesn't keep well in this mixture, unless commercially made.

[/FONT]

kingy

isnt there some sort of oil involved? ive seen the infomercial with the hand blender and i thought it was just egg and oil.

P.C.

[FONT face=Arial]Turn on food processor and let run for 10-15 seconds.....while still running, [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]drizzle in 2 cups of veggie oil[/FONT] (you can use olive oil too, but it a stronger and heavier tasting mayo)[/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT face=Arial]Yup....sorry..... I should have put that with the ingredients list.[/FONT]

Future Canadian

Ugh. I really don't like Miracle Whip. It's like getting carob when you were expecting chocolate.  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others