Started by Good Times, Feb 07 06 02:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a DV refugee?

Yes
No
Huh, what's a "DVer"?
|

Future Canadian

Ugh! I hate those internet ads with sound that is uncalled for.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

Are those the ones that go HULLLLO-O ?

The first time I heard that, I answered the door. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a100.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Future Canadian

LOL! I've only heard them while I was active on DS so I thought someone had some tricksy little something to get your attention if you wandered away from your computer.
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

P.C.

The ones I'm thinking of were activated by moving your cursor over them.

HULLLLOOO-OO
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

former s.consumer

yes, a ex dv junkie.

i like it here better.

Admin

I usually try to go through the ad lists and knock out the most annoying ads, but it's a time-consuming process and they all have different start/end dates, so it's kind of a moving target.
I don't live on the edge, but sometimes I go there to visit.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Admin

How much do ads cost?

You mean to run a banner ad on a site? I don't know, I'm more of a publisher than an advertiser. I suspect it's expen$ive. I know that paying by the click can be amazingly expensive, paying by 'impression' is probably not as spendy.

Sportsdude

So in reality how much does it cost to keep this site up, and how much did it cost to build it, and if you don't make money off this site, why did you create it?
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Admin

So in reality how much does it cost to keep this site up, and how much did it cost to build it, and if you don't make money off this site, why did you create it?

I built the site mainly because I liked the idea of a community-oriented site for Seattle, something that was focussed on Seattle and the surrounding areas. It wasn't built as a money-making kind of thing, it was just something I wanted to do for fun.

As for what it cost to build it, that's difficult to say. It took some amount of time to design and code, and there were some small purchases of software, plus the domain name fees and associated costs to host it. My time would probably be the most 'expensive' thing looked at from a dollars and cents perspective. The server DS runs on is about $99 a month, but I use it for other things as well so the costs are spread out and tricky to quantify.

Legion

I'm running on a 9.95/month account on Webhost4life.

You know, I had an idea for a community site in 1999. It just took me 6 years to build what I wanted. You should see what my code can do, I can't stop coding, help.

Btw, do you know how hard it is to build a community when coding makes you anti-social? I built a portal and gave away my code and tried to start a community way back in 2002. I had 250 members download my code. lol. That was a panic. It all ended 3 months later when everybody defected to [a href="http://www.dotnetnuke.com/"]Dotnetnuke[/a].  I guessing because DNN was somehow tied to Microsoft.

Alas, I am a friend of no one.
curses!

Admin

I'm running on a 9.95/month account on Webhost4life.

That's shared hosting, correct? I don't do any shared hosting, I've got a couple of servers I use for my sites.

Btw, do you know how hard it is to build a community when coding makes you anti-social?

Lol, as a matter of fact.....   Yeah, I know- it's an isolating lifestyle for sure. It can be a real downside not having the workplace environment to mix and socialize in. On the other hand, it can also be damn nice not having the workplace environment to mix and socialize in. lol

I've been working on a quickie spoof-site the last few days and I'm almost ready to release it. I'll post it here if you guys want to have a go at it.
[span style="text-decoration: underline;"]
[/span]

smithl

[FONT face=Verdana size=2]theres soooo many trolls, biggots and idiots over there. uggh..ruins everything [/FONT][/DIV][FONT face=Verdana size=2][/FONT] [/DIV][FONT face=Verdana size=2]lol @ some of these smilies. haha[/FONT][FONT face=Verdana size=2][/FONT] [FONT face=Verdana size=2] [/FONT]

Future Canadian

This is the nice board. We've got all kinds of goodies. I'll give you some karma if you promise to post over here and leave the troll stew.

tenkani

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" color=#ffff00 size=5]Heya, smithl!!!1[/FONT][/DIV]
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

|