My Trip To Cambodia

Started by TehBorken, Dec 19 06 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Moolah!

TehBorken wrote:
Yes, I was the one who (must have) deleted it, but I honestly don't recall what the question or concern you mentioned was. Would ya refresh my memory, please? You don't have to repost the whole thing, just give me a hint. as to what it was.

Edit: I just started removing all the posts after gunta's pedophile comment, so I probably removed yours without any deliberate intent as to the post itself. My bad.
So you weren't even READING what you were deleting?
If that's the case, then yes that's bad!  (http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Angry/1.gif)

The irony is that my message was actually supportive of your removing the comments that took away from the overall joy of this thread.

It was politely worded and appropriate.

The hypothetical question in the end was: "If this had happened in someone else's thread, would you consider cleaning it up, or would you just leave it as part of the discussion?"

In other words, would you give a rat's arse if a similar troll was souring someone else's joy, or would you only do this for your own threads?
*  Please unban me!! please please please  *

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
... I've seen some interesting posters come and go because of the vibe I mentioned where people who seem nasty or troublesome are quickly stomped to death and tossed in the waste bin.

Genuinely hateful or disruptive trolls are indeed stomped as flat as I can make them as quickly as I'm able. People who are merely annoying or unpopular don't usually push my button, but  yes, once in a while they do and I respond ungracefully. I'm only human. I try not to let my personal likes/dislikes get in the way, but I'm far from perfect and sometimes certain actions or behaviors do tick me off. I can't swear I'm completely unbiased or uniformally fair, but I try to be even-handed.

I understand where this feeling comes from, but it still bothers me. On the other hand, most of the regs here are happy with it so take my comments for what they are, just the gut feelings of one poster.
I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree.  I do feel that I need to keep a certain standard of reasonable behavior here. If people want a complete free-for-all type of place they can always make use of DV or the hundreds (thousands) of other boards out there, but I like a place with a little civility. In some ways this place is a reflection on me, for better or worse. Lots of people say stuff here that I am opposed to or don't like, but unless it really gets out of hand or messes with the overall tone of the site I usually won't get involved.

That said, I'll be the first one to admit that sometimes I don't live up to my own standards.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

tenkani

TB, I have to apologize for my lack of clarity.

I didn't mean to lay the blame squarely in your lap.

The deletions issue is one that concerns you and the mods.

The "vibe" issue is more general and is, in fact, usually expressed by other posters.

And I'll leave it at that.  
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TehBorken

Raging Poodle! wrote:  The hypothetical question in the end was: "If this had happened in someone else's thread, would you consider cleaning it up, or would you just leave it as part of the discussion?" In other words, would you give a rat's arse if a similar troll was souring someone else's joy, or would you only do this for your own threads?

Ahhh. Well, hmmm....good question. I guess I'd try and take it on a case-by-case basis. I know that's a cop-out, but it's the only reasonable way I can think to handle it. It would be foolish for me to try and apply a blanket approach, i.e. "Never delete anything" or "Always delete stuff"....those sort of inflexible rules always go down in flames (in my experience).

I'll admit right up front that it was more bothersome to me because it was in a thread of mine, and one that I'd like to keep reasonably on-topic. If it was someone else's thread and they complained that it was getting out of hand, I'd probably clean it up to try and keep things on an amicable footing. I don't know, to be honest. I don't have an action plan for all this stuff, lol, and sometimes there are no good solutions, you know- just ones that aren't as bad as some of the others.

And yes, it was my bad that I wasn't paying more attention to what was getting removed. Truth is, I got only so many hours in the day and sometimes I make mistakes. Your post wasn't removed because of it's content. It was just mixed in with a bunch of other stuff that was going away no matter what, and to be honest it might not have made sense (to me) to leave it there, orphaned without any context, so to speak.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
TB, I have to apologize for my lack of clarity.

No cookie for you!  lol (//http:///forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/14.gif)

The deletions issue is one that concerns you and the mods.

Well, I generally back the mods up 100% in what they do. I trust them and their judgement, and if they make a mistake it's not the end of the world. Making mistakes comes with the territory, I don't expect perfection from anyone and I make enough mistakes myself as it is, so I know that sometimes stuff happens.

The "vibe" issue is more general and is, in fact, usually expressed by other posters.
And I'll leave it at that.

Yep, I understand. I don't claim or expect that this place will be all things to all people.

Moolah!

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Moolah!

tenkani wrote:

Dude, if you're so much into vibes you should come to the synaesthesia thread.

P.C.

I'm glad it was removed.  I really wanted to delete it myself.  Not so much for content, but context.  It was out of place IMHO.  The 'community' feeling here almost requires acknowledgement for a job well done or a 'here here' for sharing a great expereince.

That doesn't eliminate discussion on less warm and fuzzy topics.  But when the two are mixed in what seems like an effort to take someone down, my suspicion is we'd probably all like the ability to react the same way.

*Separate post.

Loved your continuing story TB.  Thanks again for sharing.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Id be scared to go to his syn something thread Tenkani.. hes writing in the colour purple again which has a certian smell Im still trying to figure out.. but thats my thing for today. lol.

I think you are doing a good job TB. I have no issues with how youve done it or how you have defended your position. Not that my opinion matters but I agree with you, a case by case basis, and a general idea. I also appreciate you defending your mods actions and state the fact that they are not infallable and you cant fault them on it, I had issues with something like that when I was a mod on another site (not DV, lol).

My brother is a mod on another site as well, and its funny to see how that site works.. he swings his ban hammer quite frequently.. but its a ten day ban then 30 day, etc, etc.

Please keep up your mini-blog here with your trip. I myself admit I enjoy reading it, cause I can laugh and understand what you are talking about, I really enjoy the pictures too. You actually made me break out my china, singapore, and other asian countries pictures I have taken and drift through them.

There is a certain style to this site, including a clique here. Not that its bad.. LOL, Im not even sure Im in the clique. Who cares really? I do agree with you Tenk.. we talked something about this before.

Uh, Yarrgh! Thats about all I have to say. Thanks agian TB.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

tenkani

Lise

OK. Well.....not you then, just me. *small voice*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

tenkani

*kissing Lise's cheek*

Not just you, buddy.

But that was sort of what I was talking about earlier.

IMHO we need to start defining ourselves as a community in ways other than as a reaction to DV.

In other words, if everything that reminds us of DV gets smooshed because we're DV-phobic, then we will end up smooshing a lot of good things. And I define sometimes painful debate as a good thing as long as it doesn't get really personal and ugly. I think a lot of us, myself included, are a little scarred and bitter by our experiences, but if we let that define us we will become just "NOT DV" instead of the wonderful DS that we all want.

Sportsdude

Maybe there needs to be two forums, you know the bigger the place gets the more forums needed so things don't get lost.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

tenkani

Two forums?

Oh goody!

Do the troublemakers get our own special leper island to inhabit?     ;)  

Lise

Well, tenk... I know what you mean though. On one hand it would be nice to have a forum where you can talk about everything and anything without fear of prosecution or a heavy hand at stiffling your right to say things. I can understand that. I mean, heck, we fought hard to keep it thus.

It's just a bit hard to accept when we have been here so long, that we've known each other over the years. To see someone attack a member of the board.... well, it just plain sucks. I guess we were all 'blissfully happy'. It's not something I'm used to seeing.

It's a fine line here at DS. On one hand, I want this forum to grow into something much more.... on the other hand, I'm very cautious. I do not want DS to become another DV. That would be the worst thing to happen.

Anyways, I'm not offended by you in the least bit, tenkani. I understand what you're saying and don't be afraid of keeping things bottled inside you. Hugz back to you. And Raging Poodle as well.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

|