My Trip To Cambodia

Started by TehBorken, Dec 19 06 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

I also took some pictures of some odd signs, I have no idea what they mean specifically but you can look at them and decide for yourself.

It's a no parking sign. You probably saw some with an X, it's the no stopping sign.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
Are there 'supermarket' types of grocery stores ? or are they more 'market' type.

There's nothing like Safeway or Albertsons that I saw. Most of the food comes from small vendors on the street or in small shops. For example, a lot of their bread is purchased from street vendors who have small carts they push around the city, but there are some regular bakery shops too. Other stuff (veggies and whatnot) are gotten from open-air markets like this:

Bot-stopper: "chewer"  lol
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TehBorken

Michel wrote:It's a no parking sign. You probably saw some with an X, it's the no stopping sign.

Hmmm, could be. If so then it was widely ignored, lol. I didn't get any on the shots I took but there were often cars parked right next to many of these signs all over the place. Road signs seem to be routinely ignored (no right turn, one-way, etc).

I don't recall any with an "X" but I'll look next time. There were some with an "I" in them but no one knew what they meant (at least no one I asked).

Michel

If so then it was widely ignored

Why I'm not surprised...

Lil Me

TB- would you recommend Cambodia to the rest of us travellers with no family/friends there?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Hobbit

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your story. I don't know much about Cambodia, so it's nice to see pics and learn about it from you. Wish you and your significant other all the best.  

TehBorken

Lil Me wrote:
TB- would you recommend Cambodia to the rest of us travellers with no family/friends there?

Personally I think all the foreigners (me included) should stay the hell out and not soil their country. I cringe when I see other American or European tourists there- most of them are loud, crass, and offensive to the core. Ugh.

However, it's a very cool place, a visual feast for the eyes, and the people are extremely open and friendly. I've never gotten a harsh look or an unkind word there and I feel safer walking in downtown Phnom Penh at night than I do here in Seattle.

Hotels are very affordable ($10 to $20 a night for nice rooms) and the food is varied and inexpensive. Shopping is like the Wild West- anything goes and prices are fluid. NEVER pay the listed price on anything, normally after a little haggling you'll pay 30% to 50% of the marked price.

Male visitors will find that the country is home to millions of genuinely lovely ladies who are fascinated by foreigners and find them handsome to a fault. (Soooo many women there told my fiance that I was handsome that I halfway started to believe it myself.) Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you, but these are "good girls" so don't expect any hanky-panky without a wedding. :)  However, that said, I'd probably marry half the ladies there without a second thought. They're just that nice. And this is coming from a (formerly) sworn-to-the-death bachelor.

Female visitors are, by and large, out of luck in the romance department. Cambodian men will probably disappoint most western-minded women. In fact most western women would find Cambodian men annoying and/or insulting to say the least.

Interseting places to see abound and the beaches and resorts are gorgeous.

So, yes, I'd recommend it as a vacation or travel spot, but I'd also hate to see the country overrun with people like me.  

Michel

Did you went to Angkor Wat ? If so how was it ? Still a lot of minefields ?

Lil Me

TehBorken wrote:
Personally I think all the foreigners (me included) should stay the hell out and not soil their country. I cringe when I see other American or European tourists there- most of them are loud, crass, and offensive to the core. Ugh.
 --
 ^^^^
 The same can be said of Westerners travelling anywhere, though!
 "ETHEL!  GET A LOAD OF THIS!  WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THIS IS FOR?..."

Thanks for your candid opinions.  It sounds like a fascinating place.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

TehBorken

Michel wrote:
Did you went to Angkor Wat ? If so how was it ? Still a lot of minefields ?

We haven't gone to Angkor Wat yet, but we probably will on my next trip. We may also go to Thailand.

Minefields: There are still minefields all over the country, most of them still well-stocked with live mines and other unexploded ordinanace. CMAC (http://www.cmac.org.kh/) is doing their best to rid the country of them but they don't expect to be dome before at least 2012 or so, and that's only for the larger, known minefields. There are hundreds if not thousands of smaller unknown minefields scattered about the country. We can't make a VCR that'll last ten years but the landmines are still perfectly functional and deadly after more than 40 years. I'm sooooo proud to be an American.

Michel

Yeah humans are good at it when comes the time to kill and maim their neighbor...    

P.C.

So how long do we have to wait for the next chapter ?  [FONT size=2](I can't wait)[/FONT]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
So how long do we have to wait for the next chapter ?  

Oh, another month or so.  I'm going there every other month, roughly.

(I can't wait)

Me neither. lol

TehBorken

A few fun movies I made while in Cambodia this time....If these load the server too much I'll have to take 'em down.

Almost Meeting Mr Death, Part 1 (http://discoverseattle.net/cambodia/100_1755.MOV)
Yeah, this was rather exciting in a "pucker-factor" sort of way. It's actually worse than it looks.

Almost Meeting Mr Death, Part II (http://discoverseattle.net/cambodia/100_1754.MOV)
This was worse than it looks too. The camera makes things look farther away.

5 Minutes Into The Rain Storm (http://discoverseattle.net/cambodia/100_1973.MOV)
When it rains, it pours. And the sewer system just doesn't work so the street just fills up with water. Check out the downspout gushing away across the street.

10 Minutes Into The Rain Storm (http://discoverseattle.net/cambodia/100_1975.MOV)
A few minutes later close to 6 inches of water in the street.

Schadenfreude

As long as you're looking ahead, and the shoulders of the road are basically even with the road, there is no problems.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

|