My Trip To Cambodia

Started by TehBorken, Dec 19 06 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lise

LOL. Why not? Disposable chopsticks for party favors?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

or Bring Your Own Beef.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Or Bring Your Own Bed/Bin for your own Booze.

Lil Me

Bring Your Own Bulgogi Beef!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

....and don't forget......BAG.  

Bring A Gift.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

lots a names I can think of for BYOB. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

MixedUpFriend

Well, it's me, checking up on you.....finally got AOL to sign me in again, so I could find this bookmarked thread to see how things are going.

The summer is almost over....yep, we're into August -- and I was hoping to come here to find that all went well and some PICTURES!!!

Best wishes to the two of you!

mischa.porter

I love Cambodia! If given the chance I'd like to visit the Ankor Wat! has anyone been in this place? Care to share your travel experience with me?

TehBorken

mischa.porter wrote:
 I love Cambodia! If given the chance I'd like to visit the Ankor Wat! has anyone been in this place? Care to share your travel experience with me?

I'm sorry to say I never made it to Angkor Wat.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

van_guy

mischa.porter wrote:

Nope - spent most of a year in Vietnam but never made it to Ankor Wat. I was hoping to go this summer with LM and the LM-ettes.  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Orik

Van_guy You have not posted in like forever man.. Did you get lost in the back woods somewhere ? Is the Misses keeping you tied up? How about a update on where in the planet you are now. I know you are active and reading the forums but you just do not seem to be posting as Van_guy anymore...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

We went to the "Beefsteak" place last night. ('Beefsteak' is a relative term, as it turns out.) About 2 minutes after we sat down we heard this *tremendous* ROARING noise, like a giant freight train- the whole building shook and the noise didn't stop. At the same time all the people outside started screaming and yelling and they all jumped up, turning over tables and scrambling and yelling trying to get inside (where we were). I thought a friggin bomb had gone off or something....but nooooo, it was just rain.

The rain turned on like it was on a switch, and it rained so hard that you literally couldn't talk, it was so loud it drowned out everything. It was just this intense roaring, hissing, hammering noise that flicked on- *boom* -and in 15 seconds the streets were 3 inches deep in water. After one minute they were about 6 inches deep. After ten minutes there was 1 to 2 feet of water in the streets. We took a tuk-tuk home and I swear to god- it was *exactly* like a boat ride. I'm not kidding, you'd have thought you were on a river boat; the water was almost up to the floor of the tuk-tuk. PhnomPenh really needs a sewer system.

Then my son called here at ~1am on skype. I forgot to mute the sound (doh) and so we all woke up to the doodle-doodle-doodle skype calling noise. As soon as I saw it was my son I thought Oh shit, major emergency because I told him not to call me unless he "was bleeding or the house was on fire"....but no, he said he twisted his neck and it hurt and he wanted to know where the aspirin was. I can't wait till he joins the Marines. ;)

What else...I succumbed to the allure of The Buy Phone Here Store (that's its name, pretty creative, eh?) and bought this Chinese phone that may or may not turn out to be a brick. It works and it's way cool, but the manual is in Chinese and so we couldn't figure out how to get the #%@$! cover off to insert the SIM or extra battery. We had to go back and have the 12 year-old girl that runs the booth show me how to open it up. She rolled her eyes and everything. How embarrassing, lol. But it's really really really cool. I hope it works for more than a week, but what can you expect for $600, right? (I'm kidding, it was $100).

I managed to find some cheap t-shirts and bought 5 or 6. I got both of the black ones in stock, so Led Zeppelin is shit out of luck if they ever come to do a concert here.

We're also going out to the famous "777 Cafe" for breakfast. Truthfully, it's not actually famous and it most definitely isn't a cafe. And it may not even be 'breakfast' if our last meal there is indicative of the "menu", but it is what it is.

I brought our Garmin GPS along for fun. Before we left I managed to load a map of Cambodia (after an enormous amount of screwing around, I should add). I tried to get it to show the map before we left but it wouldn't do it, even though it showed the map was present and loaded. So I figured I'd just wait until we got to Cambodia and try it.

So, after arriving I went outside and turned it on. It flashed the "Acquiring Satellites" message on and off (which is normal when you first turn it on), but it kept flashing for a looooooong time. I mean a really long time, like 5 minutes. It looked like it may have reset itself a couple of times too but I'm not sure. Then the screen went dark, and I swear to god I saw a little frowny-face icon for just a second before it did that:   (

When it finally lit up, there we were in Phnom Penh just like we should be, right on the exact street and everything! Pretty damn impressive.

I figure the GPS turned off the day before, all happy in Seattle and the next time it woke up a few hours later it was on the other side of the world. Its tiny little brain probably went, "*ERROR ERROR WTF?*" and couldn't believe it.

I'm guessing it thought, "Whoah, damn, this isn't right..." and kept trying to figure out what the hell was wrong and why everything was soooooooo far away from its last computed location. Then it finally gave up (frowny face) and said "Screw it, I'm just gonna go with wherever those stupid satellites say I am."

So now I can get as lost as I want here and still find my way back to where we're staying (at my wife's mom's apartment) so I don't end up sleeping in the street. ;D   

Orik

LOL Teh Borken... Have a great time.. Send some more fantastic pictures of your travels if you can.. Did I mention I am so jealous at your ability to travel to places I can only dream of being.. The rain storm sounds like a perfect opportunity to break out a bar of soap and take a shower under the clouds but the streets sound pretty disgusting afterwards. Anyway you slice it have a safe journey a excellent time with your extended family relatives and most of all a safe trekking about..

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

TehBorken

The rain continues to be...intense. Fortunately it rains mostly at night, but dayummm, when it rains here it really rains. I went downstairs a few minutes ago and shot some movies of the street traffic in the rain; I'll post them when I get the chance.

Tomorrow we're supposed to go to the machine gun range (!!!) and shoot some different kinds of guns. I'm told it's a hoot, so we'll see. Then we're planning to go to the Killing Fields Museum (http://www.killingfieldsmuseum.com/) (AKA the Holocaust Museum) and have a look at that.

I'll post pics when I get back, most likely.

Gopher

Look forward to them, TB  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

|