My Trip To Cambodia

Started by TehBorken, Dec 19 06 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

haha eloping. Sweet.
Yeah seriously I don't 'get' weddings. Waste of money for what's basically a show. The bigger the wedding = the bride and groom have some sort of ego, and or one is a hot head who wants everything translation : they get a divorce within 5 years. lol

I've been to 15 weddings. None of the couples who had the 'big one' lasted 5 years.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I love weddings.  But I agree some people get a little carried away.  If people invested as much thought, time, planning etc into the marriage as they do the wedding, there would probably be far less divorce.  

We got married in our yard.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I always liked the back yard idea or even cheaper, go to the government building, get married and then have a party at somebody's house. simple.    

van_guy

I've been to 15 weddings. None of the couples who had the 'big one' lasted 5 years.

Well SD that bodes well for us - we had LM, me, minister and the photographer.  It doesn't get too much smaller than that.  We've lasted just over ten years now.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Sportsdude

From a message board, you guys have a very sound (strong) relationship wise. :)

I don't know I just caught on the whole smaller weddings the couple has humility, bigger weddings the couple is looking for some kind of approval seeking. Caught on to this when I was 10. Ever since then I've judged couples by pre wedding party's and how the wedding day went. So far the people I thought would stay together are still together, the ones I thought wouldn't last, aren't married anymore.

For example, a friend of the family had a wedding a couple weeks ago. They just had a baby, it's been stressful on them, the father isn't acting like a father (still wants to be a 30 something) and in her words "he's not my favourite person right now" and yet they got married. She wasn't happy the whole time, and you could feel this tension in the air like it's some sort of shotgun wedding. I don't see that going anywhere.

purelife

I was once married and it was a quick wedding.  Me, the Groom, the Commissioner and his wife (aka the "witness").  No ring.  Pics were kindly taken by the Commissioner and sent to us free of charge.  Oh, and no dress.    

van_guy

purelife wrote:
I was once married and it was a quick wedding.  Me, the Groom, the Commissioner and his wife (aka the "witness").  No ring.  Pics were kindly taken by the Commissioner and sent to us free of charge.  Oh, and no dress.    

a nudist affair or pants??

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Lise

Wow!! That was a quickie wedding!!! If I had done that, my parents will NEVER forgive me.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I love weddings.  But I agree some people get a little carried away.  If people invested as much thought, time, planning etc into the marriage as they do the wedding, there would probably be far less divorce.

Agree 100%.

We got married in our yard.  :)

We'll be getting married here at home, maybe in the yard or possibly at a small park nearby depending on the weather. We're only going to have about 5 or 6 close friends and the judge, and that's it. We hope to have a little party in July to celebrate where we'll invite some more friends, but that'll just be for fun.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

I would LOVE to have a small wedding.. both myself and the Starfishie would be happier.

My parents eloped.. and Starfishies parents had only like 20 at theirs.

Both of our families decided they want a wedding. The list for us is something like 180 right now.

I floated the idea of KFC (as a joke.. i swear I swear!) and I thought the future father in law was going to kill me.

If we tried the eloping thing both of our families would pretty near disown us.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

KFC is pretty classy, as long as you get the KFC packaged finger wipes.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

....and you could put Bic Mac coupons in these lovely holders.  They won't care if they can't figure out where to sit.

Lil Me

My friends recently went to a wedding- indoors, in a rented hall.  It could've been Ricky's wedding on the Trailer Park Boys.  Bride and groom (and most of the guests) were dressed in a curious assortment of dirty work clothes, bathing suits, sweat pants.  It was BYOB and my friends feared for the safety of their extra beer- left it locked in the car.

Mr and Mrs Friend were overdressed for the occasion.  He wore jeans with a clean t-shirt.  She wore a $20 sundress from the StupidStore.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Ye gods, Russ!!! 180!!! Wow. Talk about taking out a small fortune to feed them.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Maybe a GIANT hot pot ?   You could make it BYOB.....bring your own Bok Choy.

|