Rosie O'Donnell mocks spoken Chinese

Started by Lise, Dec 15 06 07:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Now seriously, haven't we gone too far? I'm Chinese and I'm not in the least offended by what she did.

[H3]O'Donnell sorry for mocking spoken Chinese [/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Fri. Dec. 15 2006 8:37 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]Associated Press

[!-- dateline --]NEW YORK [!-- /dateline --]-- Rosie O'Donnell says she's sorry for mocking spoken Chinese on "The View," but an association that represents journalists from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, including Chinese American, says it wasn't enough.

In a Dec. 5 segment, O'Donnell joked about how Danny DeVito's recent -- and seemingly drunken -- appearance on the CTV daytime talk show had become international news.

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like `ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, "The View," ching chong,'" the 44-year-old comedian said.

On Thursday's show, she told the audience: "To say ching chong to someone is very offensive, and some Asian people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. Which I was like, `Really? I didn't know that.'"

Karen Lincoln Michel, president-elect of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., said O'Donnell's remarks "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

Lincoln Michel said Unity was waiting for Barbara Walters, who created the show, to respond to a letter asking her to publicly acknowledge that O'Donnell's remarks were "patently offensive."

"I think by allowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," Lincoln Michel told the AP in a phone interview.

Unity said it represents more than 10,000 journalists nationwide.

"You know it was never (my) intent to mock," O'Donnell said on Thursday's show, "and I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

"But I'm also gonna give you a fair warning that there's a good chance I'll do something like that again, probably in the next week -- not on purpose. Only 'cause it's how my brain works."

O'Donnell characterized her accent as "Chinese, Asian, pseudo-Japanese, sounded a little Yiddish ..."

[A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061215/odonnell_chinese_061215/20061215?hub=Entertainment"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061215/odonnell_chinese_061215/20061215?hub=Entertainment[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

I agree lise, I think I have a statement in here somewhere about the racism line thats moved to where people want. If an asian would have said that, it would have been ok.

I cant remember what it means in mandarin, but its kinda funny when you are standing around in a group (when I was in China) attempting to communicate, and it seems like every person when they are thinking of something use the word 'niga', and repeat it really fast 3-4 times at a go. I had a black co-worker from the states and the first few days of hearing that he was getting paranoid they were making fun of him.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

tenkani

Rosie is a walking turd. She should have seen it coming. And her half-assed apology only made it worse.
That said,  calling it a "jab" at asians doesn't exactly make sense. Rosie is a moron but I'm fairly certain she meant no disrespect. Racist? Mmmmm, maybe not. But culturally insensitive in the same way that any clumsy attempt by a white person to mimic the speech patterns of an ethnic group is likely to go down badly.

I can't really be neutral about this though since the woman really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's her worship of Tom Cruise    

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kingy

she is ok with that but she wasnt ok with what kelly ripa said to clay aikens?? i guess if danny devito was gay, she wouldnt of made fun of him.

49er

its not ching chong .............. its chink chong

I hope people see the racism now  

Gopher

Through their blinkered eyes a chink of light may just about penetrate.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

tenkani

Someone (Adam?) responded to my post and brought up some good points that made me think about what I had written and why.
And then the post vanished. And then the baby Jesus cried     :(

P.C.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

tenkani

Well, it was a thread where I was talking about Rosie, so that narrows it down    :)
Can  a person delete their own post?

P.C.

Someone (Adam?) responded to my post and brought up some good points that made me think about what I had written and why.
And then the post vanished. And then the baby Jesus cried

Yup.....you can remove your own post.  Are you miffed over why you wrote what you wrote ?[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a015.gif" border=0]  

Adam_Fulford

tenkani wrote:
And then the post vanished. And then the baby Jesus cried     :(

Yeah, it was me.  I deleted my posts.  As Madonna often says, we need to choose our battles.

tenkani

Ok well, I thought you made some good points, Adam.
My post was sloppy and you called me on it in a nice way.
I don't mind getting kicked around a little bit, especially on DS.

P.C.

[A href="http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/Coolkat35/dominatrix.jpg" target=_top][img style="WIDTH: 117px; HEIGHT: 149px" height=86 src="http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:V5t5-V6vsoLBTM:http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/Coolkat35/dominatrix.jpg" width=67][/A]  May I help you ?