Top Ten Canadian Films

Started by Lise, Dec 13 06 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Well, it includes the Trailer Park Boys. I don't get it........... is it meant to be funny? I don't get the jokes there as much as I don't get the jokes on Corner Gas.

Maybe.... uhm.... I'm not Canadian enough, eh?

[H3]'Trailer Park Boys' on list for year's top 10 films[/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Wed. Dec. 13 2006 8:59 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]Canadian Press

[!-- dateline --]TORONTO [!-- /dateline --]-- The Toronto International Film Festival Group has released its list of Top 10 Canadian movies of 2006, and while the titles may sound familiar, chances are you haven't had a chance to watch many of them yet.

<BODY>

The films will have public screenings from Jan. 26 to Feb. 4 at Cinematheque Ontario in Toronto. Tickets go on sale Dec. 13.

A selection of the films is also slated to tour to Vancouver and Ottawa at the end of February and Victoria in early March.

The titles were not ranked but were listed, with directors, in alphabetical order:

[UL] [LI]"Away From Her," Sarah Polley.  [LI]"Congorama," Philippe Falardeau.  [LI]"The Journals of Knud Rasmussen," Zacharias Kunuk and Norman Cohn.  [LI]"Manufactured Landscapes," Jennifer Baichwal.  [LI]"Monkey Warfare," Reginald Harkema.  [LI]"Radiant City," Gary Burns and Jim Brown.  [LI]"Sharkwater," Rob Stewart.  [LI]"Sur La Trace D'Igor Rizzi," Noel Mitrani.  [LI]"Trailer Park Boys: The Movie," Mike Clattenburg.  [LI]"Un Dimanche a Kigali," Robert Favreau. [/LI][/UL] [A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061213/film_canada_top_061213/20061213?hub=Entertainment"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061213/film_canada_top_061213/20061213?hub=Entertainment[/FONT][/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Trailer Park Boys is the only movie on that list I remotely recognize.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I hate to sound like a traitor, but Candian films just don't cut it for me.  It's like they try too hard to be artsy fartsy and if they think if they say F**k a lot, that it makes it 'cutting edge'.  I can spot a Canadian film a mile away, and I'm bothered by this, because it's most often a negative feeling.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but ......  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 I hate to sound like a traitor, but Candian films just don't cut it for me.  It's like they try too hard to be artsy fartsy and they think if they say F**k a lot, that it makes it 'cutting edge'.  I can spot a Canadian film a mile away, and I'm bothered by this, because it's most often a negative feeling.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but ......[/DIV]
 'Bless'!!!!

Welcome back PC  

Gopher

Jesus Of Montreal

The Decline Of The Ameican Empire

The Barbarian Invasions

- all from Denys Arcand -  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

CK

Metal - A Headbanger's Journey is a good film made by a Victoria dude! travels around the world in search for the communtiy of Metal!

P.C., I am not sure if you are a traitor? You are just normal. Canadians celebrate our people that made it big in American films (Ackroyd, Jim Carrey, etc.), but we don't actually recognize our home grown movies!

What about FUBAR? Dumb Calgary metalheads. One gets testicular cancer...and they drink..and drink....  

Russ

CK

Yep, born in Ottawa!

[A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Ackroyd"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Ackroyd[/A]

P.C.

As is Keanu Reeves, Jason Priestly, Bill Murray (I think), Matthew Perry, John Candy and David Foley.......and a bunch of others.

Gopher

P.C. I agree very much with your comment that you're able to spot a Canadian film a mile away  - I share the same ability, but have never quite defined what it is that makes a Canadian film almost instantaneously recognisable as such. Any ideas?  

P.C.

Gopher

You really think so? I've seen several which I thought were excellent...but still something intrinsically Canadian about them which is beyond my ability to define.

P.C.

Of course I'm generalizing, but for the most part, they're amatuerish both in filming and acting.  Dialogue is bogged down with bad language to make up for the lack of a plot.  I don't know what it is either, but I know I can spot 99 out of 100 in 3 minutes or less.

Gopher

I'll never watch another without thinking of you!

P.S. I tend to agree about the bad language, and wonder why a country with two official languages doesn't seem to have a large enough vocabulary for imaginative use.  

M50

The Trailer Park Boys is funny for Canadians because there are a multitude of small little hick towns in the great white north...If you ever had to deal with some of these hillbillies it would render the point of this low brow humour clearly...I have met these "Boys" in many a small Can town.  

If you can handle the "F" word "Hardcore Logo" is pretty good but as a Canadian I can admit Americans have made some truly great films and a multitude of others that were...uh not so good.