What's going on?

Started by P.C., Dec 07 06 07:41

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Is anybody else baffled over the amount of contaminated foods recently ?

After Taco Bell traced a growing E. coli outbreak to green onions at its restaurants yesterday morning, government investigators began an intensive search to identify the source of the contamination. The total number of cases in three Northeastern states swelled to 99, implicating several additional restaurants and a second food distributor, who said the onions came from a California farm.

Taco Bell officials said early yesterday that their preliminary tests had traced the E. coli to three samples of green onions, which the restaurant chain sprinkles on many of its menu items. In what the company president, Greg Creed, called "an abundance of caution," Taco Bell removed green onions from its 5,800 outlets across the United States.

[FONT color=#800080][A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/nyregion/07coli.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin"]http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/nyregion/07coli.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin[/A][/FONT][A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/nyregion/07coli.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin"][/A]

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Future Canadian

Somethin' funky with fertilizer, I'm guessin'. I wouldn't be suprised if it really came down to some farming corporation trying to squeeze some extra profit by cutting corners in the washing/cleaning process.
I just ordered a bag of green onions at work. I'm sure they'll go bad before they get used up. Folks are still just warming up to spinach again, but it's moving real slow - I've got a lonesome back-up bag of it in the cooler that'll be going off soon, no one's ordering it.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

CK

What there also cantelope and carrot juice scares too?

I am surprised about Taco Bell. I thought they never really served "food", so how can their food be contaminated? (sorry, just an anti-fast food person here).

P.C.

I've never been to a Taco Bell.  I'm not a big fast food person either, but every once in a while, I've GOT to have a legendary White Spot burger.  The simplest burger around, but the yummiest.  And their fries are second to none.

CK

P.C. wrote:
I've never been to a Taco Bell.  I'm not a big fast food person either, but every once in a while, I've GOT to have a legendary White Spot burger.  The simplest burger around, but the yummiest.  And their fries are second to none.[/DIV]
 White spot and those kind of places are a little different than a McDonalds drive through or *shudders* KFC!

I haven't been to White Spot in a looong time. Their burgers are decent for sure!

Lise

I bet it's the companies that are taking short cuts in order to mass produce their products. As a result, we consumers are paying the price.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

grubby hands

Lise wrote:
I bet it's the companies that are taking short cuts in order to mass produce their products. As a result, we consumers are paying the price.

E. Coli, in this case, was just as likely spread by a worker, cutting corners by not washing his hands after taking a crap, then touching the green onions as he chops them.  Ever work in a food joint? I rest my case.

P.C.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dfffbf"]A Suffolk County laboratory later confirmed E. coli in three of four green onions taken from a previously unopened package at one of the restaurants, "suggesting that it was already contaminated before it arrived,"[/FONT] said Suffolk's acting health commissioner, Dr. David G. Graham. County officials retrieved the green onions from a Taco Bell in Deer Park after the franchise identified them as the probable cause of the outbreak.

I don't think that's the case, grubby hands.  There's just something odd about the amout of incidents of 'tainted' food.

weird al

I'm not a fan of the damn things. They're ideally shaped to harbor contaminants.

kingy

[FONT size=2]The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warned the public not to consume some Queen Victoria brand fresh spinach, as it may be contaminated with salmonella.[/FONT]

[FONT size=2][/FONT]

[FONT size=2]add another food to the list of do not eat!![/FONT]

Russ

You know, every time i hear salmonella I think of salmon, then fish, then get all confused as how to how something ie spinach can get fishy.

Then it takes me a few seconds to get unmuddled and get what they mean.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

At one point, I've heard ice cream from McDonalds. Apparently the ice maker wasn't cold enough to kill the bugs.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Ally

I haven't bought bagged spinach now in ages.  We're eating a greens mix that has no spinach on it.  The bag even has a sticker that says no spinach.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

kitten

Wouldn't it save time if they just put out a list of what you still CAN eat?
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Russ

I think it would change on a day to day basis kitten.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims