Don't forget to.....

Started by P.C., Nov 29 06 09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Feed the birds

Winter, of course, is the most important time to feed garden birds. Ice and snow cut many birds off from their food supply. In severe weather the short daylight hours mean less time to forage and small birds are particularly vulnerable to starvation and heat loss. Be sure to continue regular feeding throughout the winter.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Canadian

That is cool. Is that feeder in your yard?

You are one of the coolest posters on here P.C.!

P.C.

Awww, shucks Canadian.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/a100.gif" border=0]

No, that birdfeeder isn't in my yard.  Mine are buried under the snow.  I covered a bunch of potatoes  with peanut butter, and rolled them in bird seed.....lol   I scewered them on dowel and hung a dozen or so in the trees.  I keep putting out more and more saucers of seed, and they're covered in 5 minutes.  I put one on top of the hot tub, but then they started flying into the windows.  The ones hanging in the trees just need a tap, and the snow will fall off.

Poor little birds.

Sportsdude

Bird feeder! Thanks for the idea for a christmas present! Only thing I'm worried about is the hunter known as Tigger getting the birds.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Future Canadian

Got that suet feeder rockin' for the bushtits.
I've heard that if one has a hummingbird feeder to keep it stocked too. When the lil' fellers are making their way back up from migration they'll be counting on your feeder and are often on their last legs (wings?) and are desperately in need of energy.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

kingy

i took my bird feeder back inside thinking the birds are all hiding somewhere. i guess i'll reload and put it back out and hopefully, it doesnt turn to ice when it gets wet from the rain.

Russ

Reading this reminded me, so I just went out and threw some seed into the feeder. Thanks PC
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

You guys are the BESTEST !!!!!  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/d030.gif" border=0]

FC.....humming birds migrate FROM here, and we anticipate their arrival around here in March.

Sportsdude

does your cat go after the birds PC? I'm worried Ozzie and Tigger might scare the little guys away.  

P.C.

He's a wicked hunter.  However, right now he'd rather not get his feets too cold.  Out for a quick pee and back to the door.  I have many things hanging in trees for them too, out of reach from the Great Hunter.  He usually likes to lay on the hot tub, where I have a huge platter of bird seed and water, but he's not much up for lounging outside right now.  I try and keep an eye on him when he goes out, and the rest is up to the birdies.  

Lise

We have a bird feeder that's covered in snow. Think I'll have to dust off the powder and feed the birds again. I keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder. They need their food.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

hmm yeah I've got a great place for a bird feeder but both Ozzie and Tigger would scare the little guys away.