Best Deals

Started by Lise, Nov 25 06 04:21

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]    You're a good sound maker.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

P.C. wrote:
[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]    You're a good sound maker.[/DIV]
 I bet he is.  

I also don't use a rice cooker as well.  I add a bit of sesame oil to my pot of rice.  It smells nice and tastes great.

Oh, we made space for our crock pot in the cupboards.  Yay!

Michel

P.C.

This is what I do.  Simplest ever.

Tiny bit of oil in bottom of a pot with a tight fitting lid  (turned on high)  .  Get it hot....dump in one cup rice.  Stir it around a bit....dump in 2 and 1/4 cups of water.  Put lid on.  Cook on high for 5 minutes.....turn down heat to medium for 5 minutes....turn down heat to minimum and cook until water is absorbed.  Turn off heat.....and let it sit until it reaches the desired amount of 'fluffiness'.  I prefer my rice a little heavier/moister.  

Michel

P.C.

I would say, go to the buck store and get a set of measuring cups.

Michel

P.C.

Not many people I know put oil first.  This is a little trick I learned many many years ago....and it has always worked for me....so I have just never changed it.  I should also say, that different pots will cook differently.  I have one pot that I have always used for rice....heavy walled pot.  I tried cooking rice in another pot a few weeks back...and I used a different pot (something I have never done)....and it cooked totally different using exactly the same method.

I guess it requires a little experimenting....but it would be worth it.  Rice is relatively inexpensive....and a little goes a long way.

*I started using the oil first method, when I discovered that I didn't care for the way garlic tasted in the rice....and yet I love garlic in my rice.  It had a 'boiled garlic' taste.  So the oil first method started, so I could saute up the garlic a bit before adding the rice and water.

Michel

purelife

Here's how I cook my rice:

1.  Pour one cup of rice in the pot and wash the rice.  I like to wash it to get rid of the starchiness.

2.  Add two cups of cold water

3.  Add a little bit of oil.  I use sesame oil.  

4.  Bring to boil without lid and stir once.

5.  Turn down to low and put the lid on.  Cook for about 40 minutes.

In Step 3, you can choose to add whatever veggies you have.  I finely chop up a celery and add small bits of chinese sausages.  You can add peas.  It cooks very nicely.  If you have leftovers, stir fry it with whatever veggies/meat you have available.  I like to buy the bag of pre-washed/cut coleslaw and mix it with the rice for a nice stirfry.

Most rice packages will have the cooking instructions.  

ADD:  I use a non-stick pot.  But, my mom used to cook it in a metal pot and the rice would stick and the best part was eating it.  It was so darn crispy with drizzle of sesame oil and salt!!  YUMMMM!

Does anyone know if parboiled rice is ok vs long grain rice?    

Michel

purelife

Cooking time depends on the rice, whether it's parboiled or long grain.

P.C.

Par boiled ?  Like minute rice ?  

ptewwi ptewwi ptewwi.

Wild rice would have different directions I think, Michel.

Orik

purelife wrote:
Are you looking for a 4-quart size, P.C.?  You're right that they are harder to find.  I wonder why it's so difficult.

We have a 4 quart but I was thinking that this 6 quart could make lots of lunches for work. :)  And I read that many meals freeze nicely.  I honestly don't know where I'm going to put this one as we barely have any space in the cupboards.

many meals freeze very well and when one is living on a budget. stews and soups are a great way to survive. the slow cooker is a awesome deal. i have been needing a new one since my brother accidentally threw away the lid for my 4 quarter one... works great no lid. so if u want one no lid send me pm and u can come get it. im pretty sure it's 4 quarts.

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

|