Did he deserve to be executed ?

Started by JGG, Nov 25 06 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic

JGG

A 25-old young Australian of Vietnamese descent was discovered in Singapore with 400 grams heroin strapped to his body which he was trying to smuggle to Australia.

He claimed he did this to pay off the huge debts of his twin brother, for whom he had taken responsibility.

He spent 15 months in a jail where inmates are shackled upto 22 hours a day, on a poor diet and lacking elementary medical attention.

A petition was started on the internet to make people aware of his situation and to get his sentence - death by hanging - to be commuted to a lesser one.

Take a look at http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/aussieman

In the end he was executed anyway.

What's your opinion ?
Do you think he deserved to be killed for what he did ? Or should the court have been lenient and granted him a second chance ?

JGG (formerly known as Jolly Green Giant and Mutilated Mind, having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)

kingy

he knew the penalty beforehand and still decided to do it.

JGG

kingy wrote:
he knew the penalty beforehand and still decided to do it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So he did. Seems he decided to take the risk, didn't he ?

Is this your sole and only consideration ?
Don't you think a death sentence might be too harsh all the same, even if he "still decided to do it" ? There might be other issues involved than just someone having taken his chances and having to accept the consequenes or something like that...

JGG (formerly known as Jolly Green Giant and Mutilated Mind, both having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)

funny blue dwarf

no, but you deserve to be executed.  

Russ yes!

When I went to singapore, on the declaration you are given on the plane it says that its a death sentence for drug trafficing.

As soon as you enter the airport theres HUGE writing on a white background wall saying if you are caught smuggling drugs you will be put to death.

It TELLS you everywhere, and they are very open about it. He knew the penalty and yet he still did it.

He

Russ yes! wrote:
 He knew the penalty and yet he still did it.
-------------------------------------------------------------

You already said that. Yes, he did it. He took the risk. Does THAT merit the death sentence ?
Or does smuggling those 400 grams of heroin ?

Tell me.

He
(formerly known as JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)

He

[FONT size=7]D'uh...[img height=37 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif" width=46 border=0][/FONT]

P.C.

Russ yes! wrote:

You already said that. Yes, he did it. He took the risk. Does THAT merit the death sentence ?

What difference does it make what anyone else thinks about it.....the simple fact of the matter is, that the guy who DID it, thought that the risk was worth taking.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

He...hehehehe

He
(formerly known as JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen).

..................................................................................................................

A hearty welcome back to the angst-ridden, smarmy little self-important twit with an ever-growing trail of goofy names clattering behind him like tin cans on a luckless dog's tail.

The stunted, trollish fellow with his nose out of joint.

Master of the fancied slight.

Inveterate purveyor of pretentious prose. behold! it is He!

Watching him bomb is more fun than swatting flies.

Use him: he is here for your enjoyment.    

Future Canadian

Do I think he should be executed? I think all drugs should be legalized, so of course not. That being said, doing that kind of nonsense in Singapore is utterly stupid.
"Disneyland with the death sentence" is how it was described once. Complaining about justice in Singapore is like complaining about too many Mormons in Utah.
Remember that American a decade-or-so ago who got a caning for graffitti? (and not the fun knid of caning either-I bet he didn't have a safe word)

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

H e

Why oh why am I such a loser ?

He
(formerly known as JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, fairly used by someone with a higher IQ than me)

Russ

Um, hey MM, I dont know if you bothered to notice but my reply by russ yes, was the first time and not the second. You are confusing me with somebody else that posted the same thing.

And, yes I think he should. Seriously. He knew the penalty doing that in Singapore, and he did it.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Him

P.C. wrote:
Russ yes! wrote:
What difference does it make what anyone else thinks about it.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The replies I get here sometimes should be preserved for eternity...
Do you realize you are ON A PUBLIC FORUM where people come to discuss ?

And pleasse try to reread again what I wrote... it might help. But I am repeating myself, no ?

Him (formerly known as He, JGG, Jolly Green Giant and Mutilated Mind, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)

Him

Russ wrote:
Um, hey MM, I dont know if you bothered to notice but my reply by russ yes, was the first time and not the second. You are confusing me with somebody else that posted the same thing.
And, yes I think he should. Seriously. He knew the penalty doing that in Singapore, and he did it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I noticed; sorry for confusing.
But nobody, not excluding yourself, actually READ the question : WHY should he have been put to death : because he took the risk, or because he smuggled 400 grams of heroin ?

Does either one of both, in your opinion, merit the death sentence ?

It's time some of you actually tried to think about what I am saying.

Him
(formerly known as He, JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)

Him

He...hehehehe wrote:
He
(formerly known as JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)
..................................................................................................................
A hearty welcome back to the angst-ridden, smarmy little self-important twit with an ever-growing trail of goofy names clattering behind him like tin cans on a luckless dog's tail.
The stunted, trollish fellow with his nose out of joint.
Master of the fancied slight.
Inveterate purveyor of pretentious prose. behold! it is He!
Watching him bomb is more fun than swatting flies.
Use him: he is here for your enjoyment.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not stinted nor trollish, and my nose is not out of joint.
I think especially your last two comments illustrate well the minds of those people who believe they are the elite of the next civilization....

Him (formerly known as He, JGG, Mutilated Mind and Jolly Green Giant, all of which having been, to all practical intents and purposes, stolen)